Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 24th, 2021 17:00

Airplane charging/power for XPS 15 9510

After hours on the phone with Dell and a saleperson at Best Buy I decided on a Dell XPS 15 as I needed as strong a laptop as I could get but I needed to be able to do extended work while on a plane.  I was assured this laptop would be able to be used and charged on long flights.  I am on my first flight since purchase right now and I am unable to charge the laptop as the charger draws so much power it trips the outlet.  I am on Delta in the first class cabin if that makes a difference.

Is there a charger that will work for this laptop so I can actually use it for extended flights or do I need to return the laptop?

It is an XPS 15 9510.

Thanks.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

September 24th, 2021 19:00

@drrodgers2002  For optimal performance, the XPS 15 is designed for a 90W power source if you do NOT have the NVIDIA GPU in your configuration, or a 130W power source if you do.  Either way, it will run at reduced battery charging speed and likely reduced performance from a power source as low as 60W.  So what is the maximum wattage output of the outlets on the planes you usually fly on?  60W USB-C chargers are not expensive or difficult to find, and they could even be useful as overnight chargers, or last-resort power sources while you're using your system on land.  I know that Lenovo systems specifically have an "Airplane charging mode" that reduces their power consumption for this specific reason, but I haven't seen an equivalent on Dell systems.

1 Rookie

• 

1 Message

21-05-2024 00:24 AM

@jphughan​ So is there a solution? I'm on a plane with an XPS 15 7590 that won't charge. I have no idea what the wattage is on my flight (Delta Airlines A321N, First Class), but the laptop doesn't charge with the 130W adapter. I had the same problem last week on a United flight. The outlet is fine (works with other devices) and the adapter is fine (works when on 220v power on land). I contacted Dell and they said the system will only work with a 130W adapter. Is there a way to throttle the power consumption or the adapter wattage? Or an alternate adapter that works with this laptop at lower wattage? (I understand that it may not charge as quickly, but hopefully I could still use the PC for longer than a single battery charge.)

September 25th, 2021 09:00

TYVM!  I really just need something that can keep me plugging away during a 6-10 hour flight.  I have 130w adaptors for home and office.  I really appreciate the quick help!

No Events found!