Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

1 Rookie

• 

3 Posts

January 23rd, 2021 17:00

Black screen when updating XPS 15 7590 bios version 1.9.1

From the morning, I need to work on my UNI project, but I always check dell support assist for updates and to see if my device running up to speed. In connection, I see there was a bios update, so I allowed it to update, then dell's support assist asked me to restart my XPS laptop as normal for a bios update. But when updating the bios, there was no screen text, saying there is a bios update. But the fans were loud as normal but no text and no progress bar for the bios update (The XPS 15 was plugin to a power supply). After one hour, no text, no windows 10 login, but the fan are still 100%, still plugin to a power supply and the screen is black showing no results and the laptop is still hot.

I really needs this XPS 15 to work, and had this laptop over a year and no issues before. I hope not, that the bios update 1.9.1 didn't kill the motherboard.  

Thanks 

1 Rookie

• 

3 Posts

January 29th, 2021 21:00

1. Remove any external peripherals connected to the laptop. (Including any docking station)
2. Then unplug the power cord from the laptop.
3. Press the Power button for 15 seconds to drain any residual power from the motherboard.
4. Connect the AC adapter to the laptop.
5. Press the power button to test whether the system will power on

1 Message

January 23rd, 2021 17:00

I had the exact same issue when trying to update my XPS 15 7590 BIOS today.  I was able to shut it down by pressing and holding the power button.  When I powered on again it booted normally but still had old BIOS.

1 Message

January 24th, 2021 10:00

The same thing just happened to me as well. I was able to shut off my computer, which had the older BIOS on it, and reinstall the BIOS 1.9.1 without an issues so far. 

9 Posts

January 24th, 2021 12:00

The problem I am experiencing it my laptop screen WON'T display anything within windows, but it does work with safe mode. 

Not sure if it's a windows update causing an issue or what as I primarily use it docked at home 

1 Message

January 25th, 2021 02:00

Hey, it happend to me aswell, i shut down my computer after 10 minutes. Then i visited dell support website and searched for my computer. Then i downloaded the bios from there and it worked. I hope i works for you aswell.

1 Message

January 25th, 2021 06:00

As everyone else so far has said, I also encountered this issue recently. I was hesitant to do a hard reset but after I saw someone else already did it, I went ahead and did this also. I did a hard reset by unplugging everything from the laptop and held the power button for 15 to 20 seconds, even after it powered off, to drain any remaining power. After plugging the power back in, it rebooted normally and I decided it best to not try to install the BIOS update again. Hopefully this issue will be recognized by Dell.

1 Message

January 27th, 2021 21:00

Jan 27th 2021

Same thing. Update, restart, black screen, fans at high speed. After 10 minutes I held the power button to turn it off.

Turned it back on after 5 minutes and it came back on as normal with no fans. That was frightening. 

Looks like everything is ok.

1 Message

January 28th, 2021 07:00

I had the same experience as most of you had.  SupportAssist application showed there was a BIOS update available (V1.9.1) along with 2 other driver updates.  I started the process and after SupportAssist completed the installs and said a reboot was required I pressed the button in SupportAssist to restart the laptop. The laptop appeared to shutdown but didn't restart.  All I got was a black screen and the fan was running heavily.  After about 10 minutes of no change I finally just pressed the power button until the fan stopped running.  I waited a couple of more minutes and pressed the button to start the laptop and fortunately it started properly.  It still has the previous version of the BIOS and hadn't updated to 1.9.1.

I see that one person in this thread ran the bios update again with no problem but I put in a support request with Dell to ask them if I should try again or wait for a fix. I don't want to brick my laptop without them telling me to try the update again.

24 Posts

January 29th, 2021 19:00

Same issue as reported in the thread.

I'm wondering if the issue is Bitlocker (enabled in my case).

Check this link asking to suspend bitlocker before a bios update:

Updating the BIOS from Windows:

https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-ca/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=d0fh4

Note 1: Before updating the BIOS, ensure that you suspend BitLocker encryption on a BitLocker-enabled system. If BitLocker is not enabled on your system, you can ignore this step. For information about how to disable BitLocker, see How to Enable or Disable BitLocker with TPM in Windows at support.dell.com.
Note 2: Do not turn off the power or interrupt the BIOS update process during the update.

Download and Installation
1. Click Download File, to download the file.
2. Click Save to save the file to your hard drive.
3. Browse to the location where you downloaded the file.
4. Double-click the new file.
The system restarts automatically and updates the BIOS at the system startup screen. After the BIOS update is complete, system restarts again.

1 Message

February 17th, 2021 11:00

It's not the Bios Update. I came across this post before updated my bios, so I left it out thinking the black screen problem wouldn't happen and then proceeded with the rest of the updates. That's when the black screen problem occurred for almost half an hour. I had to turn off my laptop manually then restart it. I then checked for updates to try and see what wasn't installed using the Dell update software but only the Bios update remained, so I proceeded with it. No Problem

1 Message

May 28th, 2021 17:00

Been working IT since 1990. Amazed that is still a proposed technical solution. Dell has officially kicked up their level of to match Microsoft. 

2 Posts

June 25th, 2021 09:00

I had the same issue. I tried installing a BIOS update from 1.10.0 to 1.13.1 using the Dell Update app on my XPS 13 9380. I tried twice, but each time it stuck at the black screen during restart. I manually powered down using the power button, and on restart, the BIOS hadn't been updated. (BTW, I had checked the box in Dell Update to suspend Bitlocker).

To successfully install the BIOS update, I had to manually suspend Bitlocker (Control Panel, BitLocker Drive Encryption, Suspend Protection), then run Dell Update. This time after installing updates, I was presented with a Restart button that I hadn't been shown on previous attempts. I clicked Restart, then the BIOS update was successfully completed during the restart cycle.

1 Message

October 14th, 2021 06:00

This helped me very much. I thought my system was done for good! It is updating fine as I do what you said. Thank you

1634217524628959411288136802094.jpg

No Events found!