Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 8th, 2020 17:00

Bug: New XPS 13 9300 slow boot caused by intel INF errors

Hi,

I want to submit an issue to Dell that I believe is a driver/chipset INF issue that affects the 9300 lineup. I spoke with Intel on these issues and they confirmed that it will have to be dealt with by Dell.

The new XPS 13 (9300) takes about 50-60 seconds to boot Windows (while the dots are spinning). This issue persists even after reformatting/installing a fresh copy of Win10, installing/uninstalling all drivers, turning fastboot on/off, updating Bios to 1.0.7, etc.

It's likely the error is caused by thousands of driver errors, which is seen in the bootlog as:

BOOTLOG_NOT_LOADED @cpu.inf,%intelppm.devicedesc%;Intel Processor

The bootlog is 2,940 lines long, mostly comprised of these messages. Every other Dell laptop (XPS lineup, but not this year's model) that I've checked has a bootlog that is only a couple of hundred lines long.

How can this be submitted to Dell for them to look at? It's likely a driver issue. I contacted support and the representative was absolutely useless at understanding what I was trying to ask...

Can submit the full bootlog if needed.

Thank you!

37 Posts

July 14th, 2020 11:00

@Kyle Sh, haven't thought about it

17 Posts

July 15th, 2020 15:00

@Anthony81Thanks for keeping us updated!

I've a case open as well, they will replace the motherboard and ssd (for this problem and the big usb-ports not working bios 1.0.11 issue (rollback not working)). I maybe don't agree with this solution, but hopefully they have their reasons Will keep you posted.

2 Posts

July 15th, 2020 20:00

If they are replacing the motherboard on yours, that means they have to replace all the motherboards on this model since it looks like everyone has the same issue. I would not recommend that solution since it could be worse. I found a better solution for this issue while we wait for the BIOS update. 

I found one article stating that Hibernating your system is better than actual complete shut down. 

Why? Because the more you start your system either a laptop or desktop from a cold start, the more you wear your hardware including you start bottom, since cold start will pull alot of power out of your hardware, and of course will take longer to start. Just like a car when you start it every day in the morning to go to work.

This is how my system is set up, and I'm very happy with it: My laptop is setup to go into hibernate mode once I close the lid, as you may all know Hibernate is a state between sleep and shutdown but more like shutdown. This does not damage your system at all and does not consume battery power. Then when I open the lid it automatically turns the laptop back on, this takes about 5-10 seconds. Once a week I RESET it to clear space and services. Works great for me. And if they never fix the issue is fine with me since hibernate is been giving me what I need: Speed and durability. Let me know if Im missing something here.

17 Posts

July 17th, 2020 06:00

Dell today replaced the motherboard and the SSD.
The problem with the slow boot is still there. Let's hope for the BIOS update later this month.

Important note to those of you who get hardware replacement service from Dell:
When they replaced the shipped Samsung PM891a SSD I payed for they also sent me a receipt of the service where they wrote that they had replaced it with another Samsung PM891a.
However when double checking, I found they actually put in a cheap and ~70% slower Kioxia SSD. So be sure you always double check what components you get when you have service from Dell ProSupport

39 Posts

July 22nd, 2020 10:00

Hello,

I've created a new topic about this issue, because not noticed this topic, sorry about that.
I got my new XPS 9300 yesterday and noticed that Dell logo appears 60-100 seconds in every boot. Updated bios/windows/all drivers, reinstalled Windows 10 Pro from the scratch, downgraded to prior 2 version of the bios to try, played with Fast boot options on windows/bios and applied all other possible solution recommendation on the internet sources etc...
There is no solution! Really interesting, 7390 is booting in 13 seconds, 9300 2020 is booting in 113 seconds.
I also talked with Microsoft, they've connected my machine and made multiple tests. They said that Windows is working properly, issue needs to be fixed by Dell. It is waiting on the postboot are on the Dell logo screen.

Dear Dell, I really don'T know why you are not taking action for above issue and FN+left/right arrow keystrokes for end/home. You've done it for FN+up/down arrow for page up/down, that means it is possible to do that with a firmware update. Also, Insert key is not detecting in any software like SharpKeys for reassigning.
Please help us...

37 Posts

July 23rd, 2020 01:00

Latest news I got from Dell is that new BIOS version will be released before the end of a month which should fix it. We will see soon.

39 Posts

July 23rd, 2020 07:00

Hello,

Thank you for the good news, you made my day!
Could you share the home/end key issue to team that you are currently connected? Let me write details below again.
Currently, home/end keys are assigned to F11/F12; however page up/down keys are assigned to FN+up and down arrow as expected. It is really hard to use F11/F12 for home/end functions while coding.
If they can assign home/end keys to FN+Left and right arrow keys like other models, that would be an awesome for all.

Thank you.

3 Posts

July 23rd, 2020 09:00

Hi all

I was exact same problem.

but today I run dell supportassist, Trubleshooting tab and I want to trobuleshoot my PC scroll.

> My PC is running slower than it used to scroll

and run

> My PC is running slowly

and also run

> My PC is taking a long time to start

then SupprtAssist run clean registry and sum action

result my Dell9300 was fast : boot time under 10sec.

very nice condition

Before I was clean-up install windows10.

thanks all.

JUN5382_0-1595523496753.pngJUN5382_1-1595523533207.png

July 23rd, 2020 14:00

This issue is occurring on both my 9300s. I ordered a second one thinking it was an issue with the first. 

Nope. 

46 Posts

@JUN5382 is this 10 seconds with fastboot enabled? how long does it take for you to restart?

39 Posts

If I to be honest, it is unbelievable. If his machine is 9300, what is my or your machine? If our machines are 9300, which machine he is using?
It seems that he is most lucky 9300 user in the community, hope that we will get same result after upgrading bios.

July 23rd, 2020 16:00

Not that it necessarily helps, but I have two 9300s - both ordered in July. I ordered the second one b/c I thought this issue was just an occurrence on my first one. Nope - surprised Dell still hasn't addressed this. 

Between this and the headphone issue (again, issue appears on both machines), this is likely going back. A shame - the exterior build quality is quite nice. 

46 Posts

July 23rd, 2020 16:00

Tried the troubleshooting mentioned above with supportassist... it cleaned up a couple of registry keys and that's it. No improvement here.

3 Posts

July 23rd, 2020 23:00

BIOS Ver 1.0.11

system i7-1065G7, 16GByte RAM, 1T SSD model

BIOS fast boot ON

Restart under 30sec.

39 Posts

July 24th, 2020 02:00

Hello @JUN5382 

What does it meen 'bios fast boot on'? If I'm not wrong, on latest bios version there are 3 options in the fast boot, but there is no 'on' option.
-Fastboot
Valid Argument thorough, minimal, automatic
• thorough — Sets POST to perform complete hardware and
configuration testing.
• minimal — Sets POST to perform minimal hardware testing.
• automatic — Allows the BIOS to decide what level of POST test
is used.

No Events found!