Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 16th, 2019 19:00

Can I install windows 10 student on dell xps 15?

Hi, I'm planning to get a XPS 15 9570 and as a student I was able to get my hands on windows 10 student and was thinking about installing it on the laptop. Would the fingerprint reader stop working if I do this? If yes, is there a way to get the fingerprint reader working again with the new operating system?

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

February 17th, 2019 07:00

Windows 10 Education is still Windows 10, so any drivers and applications that work on the "regular" versions of Windows 10 would work on Windows 10 Education.  You'll just have to reinstall software.  The Dell Update application will help you get the drivers you need to get everything up and running again, otherwise you can download drivers manually from support.dell.com.  Note that in the latter case, I recommend just searching your system model rather than Service Tag, because sometimes the Drivers & Downloads list omits drivers that are relevant to your system when you search by Service Tag.  Using system model means that you might see other drivers that AREN'T relevant, but I think that's better overall.

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

February 17th, 2019 13:00

If it's a new computer it comes with windows 10 Home. The operating system belongs to the computer and you have a license to use it. You might have problems activating the education version especially if it is from a school that uses a volume license. 

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

February 17th, 2019 15:00

@Mary G wrote:

If it's a new computer it comes with windows 10 Home. The operating system belongs to the computer and you have a license to use it. You might have problems activating the education version especially if it is from a school that uses a volume license. 

The fact that a computer comes with a certain OS does not force you to use that OS or even make it the best choice. Education has some features not found in Home because it’s based on the Pro feature set. As for activation, Education licenses are delivered in one of two ways. The first possibility is through a Microsoft portal after they verify your student status at a participating institution (by email address), in which case you get a simple product key. The second possibility is that it would use KMS licensing, in which case you still just use a product key to put it into KMS client mode and then it automatically activated by contacting a KMS server on the school network that it discovers through DNS, which it has to check in with at least once every 180 days to renew its lease. This is the method that many decent-sized companies use to manage their own Windows licenses. Both activation methods are widely used in various use cases, and neither one is difficult or likely to create a problem simply because a person isn’t using the OS their PC shipped with. Companies buy PCs licensed with Windows 10 Pro and reimage them with Windows 10 Enterprise all the time, for example.

1 Rookie

• 

1 Message

May 10th, 2024 17:28

I have a Dell laptop that is ran by an Outwood school, they let me keep the laptop by it is still powered by Outwood. I want to be able to remove the administor off of this laptop as is doesn't have access and let me do anything. I also want to download Windows 10 but i don't know how, does anyone have any idea how?

No Events found!