Start a Conversation

Unsolved

O

7 Posts

November 6th, 2018 05:00

Control-Home / Control End Keys

I recently bough a dell xps 9370, and found that the kwyboard layout varied from previous versions.

Now there are separate Home / End keys at the top of the keyboard.

I'd like to also have the functionality to issue home / end with the combination fn-left for home, and fn-right for end, as in previous versions.

It's really annoying when you are moving around in the text with the arrows keys to have to go al the way up to press home then shift-end to select the whole line.

From what I could research there's no way to emulate it using software. Is there some workaround to this or same place where we can ask for this feature?

Thanks a lot

5 Posts

December 15th, 2019 10:00

I agree with this post. I can see how you (@Dell) would be reluctant to make this an easily selectable option as having keys not doing what is printed on them will confuse people.

But, I think the xps13 got popular among code developers because of it's "out of the box no headache linux supporting well specc'ed machine", you could even buy it with ubuntu etc. These people code, and they need code maneuverability. I absolutely loved the feature on my previous xps13.

Please, try to keep those customers (like me) and somehow add this feature.

1 Rookie

• 

18 Posts

December 20th, 2019 06:00

If this is somehow problematic for Dell to implement, I propose an alternative solution:

Bind Fn-PageUp/PageDown to Home/End instead.

I've seen this implemented on one other laptop line.

1 Message

December 21st, 2019 08:00

I too have this problem. I own an XPS 13 9380 (2019).

I had an XPS 13 9350 (2016) from a couple years back and I've been following the XPS 13's that were released after mine and they all had the same keyboard layout. And then suddenly, right the laptop I purchase has the Home and End keys moved out, and the Page Up and Page Down moved out as well.

It bothers me even more that my work laptop is an HP, and it has the same keyboard layout I was used to. I code in vba, so hitting Home and End is a pain. The Page keys are also a pain.

So it bothers me that I have to keep in mind where the different keys are placed on both laptops when typing.

• 

25.7K Posts

December 22nd, 2019 08:00

Hi,

Thanks for contacting us.

We have replied to you via private message. Please check and get back to us.

Thanks.

4 Posts

December 22nd, 2019 08:00

Sorry, but where can I see this message? I didn't receive a mail? 

1 Rookie

• 

18 Posts

January 3rd, 2020 14:00

I'm curious if the new model of XPS announced yesterday supports this, or if the only way to invoke Home/End will be from F11/F12.

1 Message

January 3rd, 2020 20:00

To move the cursor to the top of the document, use this key combination: Ctrl + Fn + ←Home.

To move the cursor to the end of the document, use this key combination: Ctrl + Fn + End→.

4 Posts

January 4th, 2020 05:00

If the screenshots are correct, then it seems the keys are back to normal: https://www.techradar.com/reviews/dell-xps-13-2020

1 Rookie

• 

18 Posts

January 4th, 2020 12:00

Home/End occupy the same physical keys as F11/F12.  Also, the far left/right keys do not have additional markings on them beside the left/right symbols, unlike the up/down keys that contain Pg markings.  This is according to the large and clear picture of the keyboard in this article:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/15273/dells-xps-13-gets-ice-lake-13-4-inch-ultrahd-display

1 Message

March 22nd, 2020 01:00

I just got my XPS 13 9300 2020 model and extremely disappointed with this problem. I am coming from Surface Book 2 and I do spend most of my time with word. This problem alone will reduce my text document navigation speed maybe 30-40%. 

This is such a let down after spending 2000$ on a laptop that you can't have a basic keyboard feature. 

And what is worse is, seems like people have been complaining about this for more than a year, and yet nobody is taking action to solve it.

No more DELL laptops.

5 Posts

March 27th, 2020 09:00

are you guys working on a solution for this by any chance? With the current situation and coding a lot on my laptop, I really feel this issue as it strongly decreases my code maneuverability

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

April 1st, 2020 13:00

I don't know how much good this will do, but there is a Dell Rockstars section of the forum that contains a "Product and Service Ideas" subsection.  Since Rockstars are ostensibly meant to be a conduit to Dell, I just created a thread there urging Dell to bring back Fn+Left/Right as Home/End.  It could easily be done with a firmware update, and even if Home/End are labeled on top row keys and the Left/Right keys aren't labeled as Home/End, there's nothing wrong with having two different ways to trigger those functions.  In fact, I used a Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 2 that implemented that exact design.  It has top row keys labeled as Home/End, but Fn+Left/Right also triggers Home/End.

I can't see any possible downside to Dell replicating Lenovo's design here.  Given that Fn+Left/Right currently does nothing on the affected systems, and a firmware update to add this would be a trivial amount of work, and NOT having this functionality is leading to frustrated users, system returns, and lost sales, the cost/benefit equation here is a no-brainer.

I hope this goes somewhere, because as a heavy user of keyboard shortcuts myself, this would be an absolute dealbreaker for me personally.

17 Posts

April 2nd, 2020 01:00

Can confirm that on my shiny  XPS 13 9300 (2020 edition), I cannot use fn-left or fn-right as "home" or "end". Not even under Linux where I could remap the keys.

fn-left and fn-right don't even send any event codes, meaning that the firmware ignores it.

Dell tried hard because the new keyboard is _good_ and the 16:10 display ratio is great for text manipulation. However it's these details that cripple it. Which goes to show that if you're really concerned about coding or text editing, you're better off with a Lenovo laptop. 

1 Message

April 2nd, 2020 05:00

Microsoft also manages to have dedicated home and end buttons but ALSO puts them on fn left+right arrow. It seems so easy, why can't Dell do this?  So disappointed about this on my 9300.

1 Rookie

• 

18 Posts

April 2nd, 2020 06:00

Like I said before I bought the XPS 7390 well aware that Fn-Left/Right didn't map to Home/End.

However, the fact that that model has physical dedicated physical Home/End keys on the top row helped soften the blow.

However, Dell chose in the 9300 to no longer make Home/End dedicated keys and instead share them with F11/F12.  Just to be clear: I use function keys all the time and I don't want to Fn-F11/F12 whenever I need to Home/End.  I couldn't care less about the multi-media controls on the top row.

Dell can make this right simply by mapping Fn-Left/Right to Home/End while keeping the rest of the layout the same.

Otherwise, I'll have no choice but to give my business to a competitor that has a sensible Home/End mechanism when it comes time to replace my laptop.

No Events found!