Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 17th, 2018 05:00

XPS 13 9360, USB-C to HDMI adapter (470-ABMZ)

Hi All,

Could anyone confirm whether the USB-C to HDMI adapter (Dell part number 470-ABMZ) works with the XPS-13-9360

The XPS-13-9360 does not appear in the list under the compatibility tab on the adapter webpage.

Found one review on Amazon saying it didn't work, but it was quite an old review and was also saying that the USB-C port of the XPS-13-9360 could not be used with any adapter as a video output, which sounds a bit odd.

Does anyone have any experience using this adapter? on Windows or Linux?

Thanks!

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

March 17th, 2018 12:00

Not all USB-C ports support video output, but the XPS 13 does, and display output from USB-C uses a standard called DisplayPort Alt Mode, and that being a standard means that any system that supports video output over USB-C will work with any adapter like this. That adapter you linked will work even with non-Dell systems and non-Dell adapters will work with your XPS 13. That said, it’s not clear whether that adapter outputs HDMI 1.4 or 2.0 because it only says “up to 4K resolution” without specifying whether it does 60 Hz at that resolution or only 30. You may want to find a USB- C to HDMI 2.0 adapter elsewhere. It might not even cost as much.

4 Posts

March 18th, 2018 01:00

Thanks for the fast and detailed response,

Will try and find USB-C to HDMI 2.0 adapter, and report my findings.

Many thanks!

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

July 5th, 2018 22:00

I can't speak from direct experience, but I don't see why not.  Be aware though that the "up to 4K video" would only be 4K at 30 Hz.  I'm not familiar with the Mason brand, but Anker also makes these types of "mini-docks" with a variety of port combinations, including USB-A ports, SD/microSD card readers, Ethernet, HDMI out, and even USB-C power passthrough, which allows you to connect a USB-C laptop charger to the hub and charge your system through it, which has the added benefit of turning the USB ports on the hub into powered USB hubs.  This one has everything I just mentioned except Ethernet, and this one has everything except the power passthrough, which admittedly isn't a major benefit on the XPS 13 9360 since it has a dedicated AC adapter jack -- unless of course you have a USB-C charger you want to use with it, in which case it can be handy since that system only has one USB-C connector.  There are other variations of the first model I linked dock that have fewer ports/feature in exchange for a lower price.  And finally, there's the Dell DA300.  Its biggest differentiators compared to the others I just mentioned (and most similar hubs on the market) are:

- 3 different video output connectors for versatility (although only one can be used at a time).
- A USB-C data port.  Unlike the Anker option which is solely for power passthrough and not a data port, this one is a data port and not a passthrough port.  That can be handy if you have actual USB-C peripherals and want to be able to use them while also using your mini-hub, since again your system only has a single USB-C connector.
- Support for USB Power Delivery, which allows it to draw enough power from the host system to provide full power out of its USB-A and USB-C ports without needing external power.  Most USB-powered hubs do not support USB-PD and therefore don't provide much power out of their "downstream" ports, often not enough to run high-draw devices like USB-powered spinning hard drives.
- The ability to run 4K at 60 Hz when connected to a system that supports DisplayPort 1.3 over USB-C.  Your system doesn't, in fact I don't think any systems on the market do yet (they're all at DisplayPort 1.2), but it's nice futureproofing.  When used with a DP 1.2 system, it will be limited to 4K at 30 Hz.

28 Posts

July 5th, 2018 22:00

2 Posts

July 6th, 2018 05:00

Hello, I have a similar issue but with a different adapter. I also have XPS-13 9360 and I bought a "UNI USB-C to HDMI Adapter" (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075V68NVR/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) and it does not seem to work when I plug it into my external monitor (Asus VS228H-P). The monitor keeps saying it is getting no signal. Any advice here? The adapter is advertised to work with the XPS line. Please tell me what I can do to help troubleshoot this. I wish I had another laptop with USB-C ports as I could test it with different laptop, but I don't have any other devices with USB-C. 

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

July 6th, 2018 07:00

Is the display detected under Windows Display Settings or Intel HD Graphics Control Panel? Sometimes additional displays are disabled when connected and you just need to enable them. If that’s not it, do you have another HDMI display (or TV) you can try connecting your system with this adapter to? That would at least verify that both the system and the adapter are passing a video signal. And do you have any other device with an HDMI output that you can try connecting to your display? Are you running the latest system firmware and Intel Graphics drivers?

2 Posts

July 6th, 2018 09:00

So I checked for updates and many things required updates actually - Intel UHD 620 graphics driver, Windows 10 Update in general, as well as a Dell Support Assist driver/BIOS update. After all of those updates were completed and I restarted... I'm still having same problem without any change. I checked it on my TV as well and no luck. I contacted the manufacturer who thinks it might be a defective adapter so they're going to send another one. I'll report back if that fixes the issue. 

28 Posts

July 6th, 2018 20:00

Thanks !  This is very helpful. I have lots to choose from now.  

1 Message

July 19th, 2018 21:00

I am having the same issue with my XPS 13 (9360) and Dell Adapter USB-C to HDMI 2.0 (1). When connecting to any monitor, it shows as No Signal. This is a brand new laptop and adapter I purchased just last month so I'm not sure what else to do. I have an open service request with Dell so hopefully they can figure it out.

September 21st, 2018 10:00

The adapter works fine on Linux & FreeBSD (xorg for the win)

I'm still giggling like a little schoolboy at the 9+ hours of battery life I get on this thing...

1 Message

October 17th, 2018 21:00

were you able to fix this problem?

No Events found!