Start a Conversation

Unsolved

N

2 Posts

June 21st, 2019 18:00

Dell G3 3579 Wifi Issues

I had an issue with my first Dell G3 3579 where its wireless card stopped working so I exchanged it.This one worked fine for about 6 months, but about a week ago it started getting drastically slower speeds on downloads. I initially wrote it off as being an intermittent issue on my ISP's end, but when it didn't go away I decided to check on my phone, and realized that while my laptop was downloading files at 20-30 mbps still, my phone was downloading files at 120 mbps. Prior to a week ago when the problem randomly appeared, my laptop had always downloaded files at 180 mbps.

PS: If this doesn't belong on the XPS board I apologize, but there are no proper options, as the G series laptops are not Inspiron, Chromebooks, Latitudes, Vostros, or XPS models.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

June 23rd, 2019 05:00

One thing you can look at is the Link Speed for that network in the Settings-Network and view your network properties.  The reading does not update while the window is open but it may show what speed your system is seeing.

The first thing to always do is reboot everything.  That by itself may clear up many problem.  After that there are troubleshooters in Win 10 and Troubleshooting steps for several sites.  Many talk about checking signal strength or checking the local environment for interference.

Drivers can be updated and in certain circumstances, you may need one related to the Win 10 build you are using.

You ISP advertised speed is 180 Mbps?

Are there any other changes to your system you can remember, such as a new Anti-virus?  If you use a Wireless Router, have you checked for firmware updates?  You speed does not improve if you move your system to another location in your current environment?

2 Posts

June 23rd, 2019 14:00

I just realized the problem isn't actually related to my wireless card at all. I'd assumed it was, because that was the issue for sure on the first G3 I had purchased that I traded in for this one, but I just grabbed an ethernet cable, and still got this on speedtest:

In the past results always looked like:

My advertised speed is 150 mbps, but it is overprovisioned by 20%, so I typically got close to 20% over advertised till recently.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

June 23rd, 2019 16:00

Oh, and one other thing, if you were to have SmartByte installed, it can reduce speed on both Wi-Fi and Ethernet connections..

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

June 23rd, 2019 16:00

I don't know what your configuration is, but if are going through a router, a tech will probably check the speed while connected directly to the modem and verify the speed. 

The ISP may be able to reset the modem, if you can't help the speeds, by removing power from it so it will reconnect.

Also, make sure and visually check your connections coming into the residence to make sure something hasn't compromised that cable or connections.

If you find out it is still related to Wireless, try moving the system around and check for signal strength,

• 

17K Posts

June 24th, 2019 06:00

Nauzhror,

Click the link below for information resolving the wireless connectivity.

Intel 7265 or 8260 wireless card loses network connection intermittently.

No Events found!