Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 8th, 2018 19:00

Dell XPS 13 9370 overheating?

Got my new XPS 13 9370. Since day 1 I started to notice a sign of overheating. It doesn't happen very often but it is a concern for me. Today, it happened again after I set the power mode onto Best Performance. The laptop is plugged in and the keyboard started to heat up with fan running trying to cool down. I think the ventilation is somewhere on the bottom in the back which makes so sense, since the laptop has always been placed on a desk top which makes the heat has nowhere to escape. It was running like that for 10 mins with the heat started to build up. I had to turn the laptop off and restart, and switched the power mode onto Battery Saver.

Has anyone noticed this issue?

• 

17K Posts

December 10th, 2018 04:00

Darkphox,

Click the link below for resolving over heating issues.

Dell portable system heat issue or the system is overheating.

March 8th, 2018 20:00

In high performance mode, your system will surely heat up.
Use system on flat surface.
Check CPU/GPU Temp in bios and update me.
You can also update system bios

81 Posts

March 10th, 2018 15:00

Run some stress tests and take a look at temperature charts to verify your unit behavior ie. using Intel® Extreme Tuning Utility. It will produce "visible" results that you can later use in contact with support.

Section responsible for charging and transmitting power while on AC is poorly designed in 9370 and it might get quite hot wile in use (and cause fans to spin lie crazy)

April 5th, 2018 07:00

Here's what worked for me with mh Dell XPS 13 9360.  Charger got VERY hot when used.  Dell sent replacement, which still gets quite warm (especially when battery is  low), but not as hot.  Didn't solve my problem of the core temps getting high whenever battery was being charged.  After some fiddling with settings, finally came up with solution (for my situation). 

(1)  Settings---Dell Power Manager---Thermal Management--"Cool" (versus the default "Optimized" setting). 

(2)  Control Panel---Hardware and Sound---Power Options---"Balanced". 

1 Message

June 7th, 2018 03:00

Good tip. However, for me, "Cool" didn't work for the fan noise, (seems logical: to keep the laptop cooler the fan has to work harder ) while "Quiet" did the trick. (but will probably lead to more overheating :(

What may help is to put the screen end on a book or something, so the vent openings under the pc can get more air (?).

1 Message

July 3rd, 2018 11:00

I repasted my xps 9370 with new thermal paste. When doing a stress test, it used to get to 100C, but now it is 75C. Definitely change out the thermal paste if you have the confidence to open up your laptop. Also you can try undervolting, that might bring it down a few degrees.

1 Message

July 7th, 2018 09:00

What thermal paste did you use? 

32 Posts

July 9th, 2018 05:00

Essentially any of the well known brands will work wonders compared to the stock one if properly/nicely applied. I have used Cooler Master MasterGel Maker and undervolting, resulting in 43-45°C in silent profile and battery mode (no fans spinning at all), 55°C while connected to the power adapter (very low fan activity). In performance mode it'll level around 78°C with no thermal throttling and the fans going full blast.

Most people I've read have been using the Thermal Grizzly liquid metal one, which will give even better (marginally) results, but I'm sceptical towards liquid metal thermal pastes due to their nature and effects.

September 10th, 2018 07:00

Just got mine out of the box and set up my Outlook 365 account and it's a "Toaster". Concerned so I put a heat (from outdoor grillin) laser on the back left corner that was burning my knee. 145 degrees!! Are you kidding me. This one is going back to Costco. Oh yea. It's brand new, yet had early 2017 Windows System updates. Sad.

1 Message

November 7th, 2018 17:00

I bought a Dell XPS 13 with i5 8550U and 16GB RAM, 1080 P display (not 4k) and unfortunately had to return it within a day as it was becoming super-hot. Still considering it though for work except for the heating issues, which might be due to the vent design (only 1 horizontal vent at the bottom?? learn something from the Macbook Pros sleek and discreet side vents Dell!!).

So, my question is, how reliable is this Dell with these super-hot heating issues? I don't want to spend $2000 and have the laptop not even last a year. What would to the internal components with so much heat being generated?

Anyone experience the same issues?

3 Posts

November 17th, 2018 11:00

I know this is an old thread, but I'm posting in case other folks are looking for info on xps13 9370 temp mitigation.

I repasted the cpu/gpu with Noctua NH-1 and noticed only a 2 degree difference from the stock paste. I used throttlestop to undervolt the cpu and cpu cache by 100mv, and the gpu by 50 mv.  This probably increased battery life a tad, but I didn't notice much difference with temperatures.

Now here's what made a huge difference for me.  I applied a 120x20x1.5mm Thermal Grizzly Minus Pad 8.  I cut it into two pieces to cover the cpu/gpu block and the cooling fin area. 

Before: My idle temps were around 40 deg C.  Running the Cinebench CPU test I was hitting 99 deg C and saw throttling.  Using HWMonitor, I saw the package would draw 30 watts until it hit 99deg and then step down to 15 watts.  Then, the fans would audibly kick in and wattage slowly rose back up to about 22 watts all while staying at 99 degrees.  The highest Cinebench score I was able to get was 647 with settings maxed in windows power settings and in Dell Power Manager.

After the pads: Idle tems are 31 deg C.  Running cinebench I maxed out at 88 Deg C and drew 30 watts for the entire duration of the test.  I got a score of 713 with power settings on max performance and Dell Power Manager set to optimized.  The bottom of the laptop gets *Warm* but not *Hot* under full load, with no noticeable difference at idle or under normal usage.

I would recommend getting a thermal pad, it was $12 on Amazon and made the single biggest difference in my experience.

1 Message

December 9th, 2018 09:00

yes I too faces same issue

247 Posts

February 21st, 2019 12:00

I know my 9360 get's pretty warm when battery charging and I am using notebook. I noticed a couple places on adapter the laser temp gun I have reads 125 degrees. Bottom of notebook can reach 115 degrees too! I've come to accept that I have been shutting down the notebook or in sleep mode when charging. Someone mention that charging from Thunderbolt port USB C was better? But the adapter they were using was rated higher, maybe a dock they were not specific. 

1 Message

June 4th, 2019 22:00

Mine heats up to 125 F surface temperature while charging even if no applications are running. Heating is mostly on the left side palm rest left of Shift and Ctrl key. Heating stops when battery is fully charged. Does the same on both AC Adapter as well as Docking station USB-C charging (WD15 dock). Opened several service requests and dispatches. Went thru the Motherboard, battery, Fan, Heat sink replacements 3 times. NO improvement yet. Asked for system exchange. Hopefully new system won't do the same..

1 Message

August 30th, 2019 09:00

This was super effective, thanks for posting this
No Events found!