Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 21st, 2019 21:00

Dell XPS 13 and TB16 dock usb issues

I have a new Dell XPS 13 9380 and a thunderbolt 16. I have a wired keyboard connected to the dock via usb and a wireless mouse with a usb receiver. Both devices quit working after either a few seconds or a couple of minutes. The laptop is never put to sleep, they simply just quit working. Unplugging the usb from the dock and re-plugging them back it works, but they eventually quit working. I'll open notepad and start typing several words and the keyboard stops working, the back-lighting on it still glows however.

I've tried looking for solutions which I've done and haven't helped. I did power management where nothing goes to sleep and also disabled the usb power saving in the device manager and neither have solved this issue.

• 

17K Posts

July 15th, 2019 07:00

Jimmerxps,

You must update the computers bios prior to updating the firmware for the TB16. Click the links below.

Driver Installation Guide for Dell Thunderbolt Dock TB16

How to Use and Troubleshoot Dell Thunderbolt Dock TB16

Dell Thunderbolt Dock (TB16) Firmware Update Utility

Dell XPS 9380 Drivers

6 Posts

April 21st, 2019 21:00

I wanted to add that I have all the latest drivers and bios updates on both the laptop and dock

1 Rookie

• 

9 Posts

April 23rd, 2019 18:00

There was a buggy USB driver (see https://www.dell.com/community/XPS/BSOD-Driver-Verifier-DMA-Violation-with-TB16-Docks/m-p/7250845/highlight/true#M25485), it looks like it was updated yesterday (4/22), maybe worth trying that update?

April 26th, 2019 06:00

Driver did not fix the issue.  I have abandoned all USB connections to this dock at this time.  Looking for a solution for a video solution that will support 2-27's and 1-24 monitors as well.

This has gotten out of hand.

4 Operator

• 

3.4K Posts

April 26th, 2019 07:00

Thank you for your message. Is the system used with Windows or Ubuntu OS?

Do you connect the docking station after the system has booted or is it booted with the docking station connected?

Have you tried restarting the system when the USB ports stop working instead of reconnecting the devices?

Does the keyboard & touchpad on the system work fine when docked?

For my reference, please click on the message tab next to your avatar– click “New Message” & search for my Dell username (Sreejith R) & send a private message with the service tag, registered name & email address.     

How to locate the service tag

1 Message

April 26th, 2019 11:00

I have the same setup 9380 + TB16 and I was with tech support for over an hour and even they couldn't figure it out. Their answer, return the TB16 and get another dock. It seems like the ASMedia driver is causing issues and Dell still hasn't figured out how to fix this. 

In my situation, the screens work and charges my laptop except none of the USB ports or ethernet port work. Supplies power, just doesn't recognize or send data 

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

April 27th, 2019 07:00

@Jon YThe ASMedia driver shows updated today, 4/27, for my 9365.  What version do you show now?

You have done the TB 16 firmware update to 1.0.2?

6 Posts

April 28th, 2019 20:00

I'm using windows, and i've tried all combinations with the docking station already connected or connected after booting up the system. The keyboard and touchpad on the system work fine when docked.

4 Operator

• 

3.4K Posts

April 29th, 2019 05:00

What is the BIOS version installed? Is it 1.2.1 or 1.3.2?

Please update the TB 16 firmware to version 1.0.6 from this link

Did you update the ASMedia drivers as @Saltgrass suggested?

If the issue persists, please share the service tag & registered name. I will have this escalated.

6 Posts

April 29th, 2019 21:00

The TB16 Bios is 1.3.2

The ASmedia drivers are the latest 1.16.56.1

1 Message

May 7th, 2019 12:00

I'm having the same issue, tried everything I could find to get it working properly but can't stop the USB ports from cutting out after a few minutes.

Latest dock and XPS firmware.

1 Message

May 7th, 2019 14:00

I'm seeing this too on a brand new XPS 13 9380 with system firmware 1.3.2 and the TB16. I'm on Fedora rather than Windows so it looks to be a cross-platform issue. I've resorted to using the usb C-to-A adapter that came with the system plugged directly into the laptop.

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

May 7th, 2019 15:00

I realize this isn't an especially convenient fix for anyone, except perhaps those who are still within their return period, but Dell just launched their new WD19 family of docks.  The Thunderbolt version is the WD19TB.  Among the changes that might be of interest to users in this thread:

- Its driver page lacks an ASMedia USB controller driver.  That might be an early launch glitch, or it could be that the WD19 family has dispensed with that controller and might therefore avoid USB issues encountered on the TB16.

- It specifically highlights Linux functionality, including the ability to update the dock firmware on Linux, which I don't think is possible on the TB16.

- The Thunderbolt version is actually backward compatible with regular USB-C systems, which the TB16 is not.  I expect Intel's new "Titan Ridge" Thunderbolt controller chip is responsible for that capability.

- It supports systems that provide DisplayPort 1.4/HBR3 through their USB-C/TB3 ports, which will enable higher-end display setups, especially for USB-C systems.  Thunderbolt 3 systems don't see quite as much of a benefit here because they start bumping up against bandwidth limitations of Thunderbolt 3 itself, but even they get boosted to dual 4K 60 Hz + single QHD compared to dual 4K 60 Hz on the TB16.  That said, systems with DP 1.4/HBR3 over USB-C/TB3 are still rare today, although that will change once Intel's "Ice Lake" CPU platform rolls out, which is slated to begin at the end of this year.

Link to the WD19TB: https://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop/dell-thunderbolt-dock-wd19tb/apd/210-arik/pc-accessories

6 Posts

June 28th, 2019 15:00

I've tried the dell TB19 dock and have the same issues.

Dell won't even let me return the item

horrible customer service and support

No Events found!