Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 29th, 2020 02:00

XPS 15 7590, false battery warning

Hallo everyone, I have a XPS 15 7590 and when I wanna wake my laptop up from sleeping it's saying it doesn't have any battery left. Today I went to school with my laptop left at 66%. When on school I wanted to write down what my professor was saying so I took my laptop and when turning on my laptop said: "warning low battery". Back on my dorm I plugged in my laptop and it said 65% left and charging.

I went looking in the BIOS and starting with AC power isn't on. For the rest Dell Power Manager is saying my battery is excellent. I'm having this trouble after updating my BIOS to version 1.8.1. I only have my laptop for one year and it's a very good one. I hope you can help me with my problem.

Thank you.

February 23rd, 2021 11:00

At this point I would be happy with a free battery from Dell since it's obvious there was a flaw in either the original battery design or a BIOS update.

• 

25.7K Posts

February 23rd, 2021 13:00

Hi,I see you’re looking for technical assistance. If you require our help, you could initiate a private/direct message with us, and we’d be glad to assist you.

7 Posts

February 23rd, 2021 13:00

Hi guys, I started spamming this thread in the official Dell Twitter accounts. Someone has to answer us
This is insane! i don't buy a new battery because of a blatant mistake on their part!

24 Posts

February 23rd, 2021 14:00

@Todoted12 That is a great idea. Which Twitter account are you messaging with? can you send the link please?

I also recommend you to call DELL support (check the 1-800 number in your country) even if you're out of warranty. 

They will tell you that you're out of warranty and need to pay for support so a technician can troubleshoot.

Be courteous and ask to escalate the issue because it is a product defect that requires a recall. Insist, then a manager will call you back telling you again that you're out of luck, explain again that there are MANY people impacted and you want to escalate again.

That is what I did today and tomorrow I'm supposed to get a manager on the phone. I'm ready to point him to this thread that clearly  @DELL-Cares is ignoring (and Twitter) 
I will report back as I have more news.

-p

7 Posts

February 23rd, 2021 21:00

Thank you! We have received the required details. We will work towards a resolution. In the meantime, you may also receive assistance or suggestions from the community members.

12 Posts

February 24th, 2021 08:00

I tweeted @Anonymous, @DellCares, and @DellCaresPRO as well. This should absolutely be a considered a manufacturing defect and they should be providing free replacements to those affected. The most recent replies from Dell in this thread implying that this thread is not active and will be closed is hilarious and totally indicative of how much DellCares really "cares". To @mroset previous request for Battery barcode info, I'll post that as soon as I get a torx wrench that can remove the screws on my laptop

24 Posts

February 25th, 2021 10:00

Thanks @timstm . Which hashtag did you use? I'm not an active twitter user but will monitor and contribute.

Otherwise, I had a manager from @DELL-Cares on the phone following my escalation.

Bottom line: complete CYA from the support team, "we don't have an active recall on xps15 7590 batteries so unless you get paid support go take a hike. We cannot do no exceptions."

Very politely I explained to her that I understand that they don't have authority (yet) to proceed to replace the faulty batteries, BUT @DELL-Cares being the front line of customers they MUST escalate to the Product Team, who MUST proceed to do a complete investigation on the issue and MUST comment on this thread about this defect.

That I was not asking for favors or any type of personal exceptional treatment, that I was just trying to follow the right channel so DELL takes action for all the customers impacted.

I recommend everyone to call @DELL-Cares (with or without warranty) to report the issue, ask to escalate with the manager, and keep reporting in name of everyone impacted.
Thanks to everyone for continuing reporting and maintaining the pressure until we get DELL's attention.

-p

1 Rookie

• 

12 Posts

February 26th, 2021 01:00

Dell replaced my battery (for free) two days ago (I bought my XPS in march 2020 with premium on-site service). For now, I have had no more problems for the past 2 days.

12 Posts

February 26th, 2021 08:00

I'm assuming you were fortunate in that your device was still under warranty?

2 Posts

February 27th, 2021 23:00

Hello, I started to get the same problem around the start of 2021 in January in my 1 year old dell xps 7590 2019 model. After many research on google and many troubleshooting by my self I gave up as I couldn't find a solution. On a separate matter I uninstalled most of the dell service drivers during the start of February. And this last few days I have noticed that I didn't get the problem. I have not updated anything after that. So I double checked today as I left the laptop at 20 percent before I noded of last night and happy to say I was able to boot with 17 percent of charge without any battery low warning pop ups. Before I got 1 percent warning even at 70 percent when I boot the system after shutdown. #SOLUTION??.

24 Posts

February 28th, 2021 06:00

@Nemo1997 This is very interesting and encouraging!

Could you be more specific about uninstalling "dell service drivers"? 

I looked into my 'support assist history' and couldn't find any 'dell' branded drivers been updated since Nov. --I started having the issue late Dec'20 (just 10 days after my warranty expired!)
Because it seems that rolling back to previous versions of the BIOS do not solve the issue. Which BIOS version do you have? 

@DELL-Cares still nothing to add? have you escalated to the product team? 

thanks,

-p

7 Posts

February 28th, 2021 15:00

Hi guys, DELL contacted me privately on twitter. In theory they should let me know something ( or otherwise get in touch with me...).

@Nemo1997 please, tell us more!

2 Posts

February 28th, 2021 22:00

I have  the  latest  BIOS as available  as of january... I haven't gone  online on my laptop since then.. I have  been  having  screen  flickering for a while  now  even  after  I switched of independent refresh  from  intel  graphics panel.. so I tried  uninstalling the  dell  services. It was  after that  I noticed  that  the battery  issue was  no more. I dont have  a specific  list  of  things  I uninstalled.  But  I now  only have dell battery manager  and  data  fall  protection only installed. 

24 Posts

March 1st, 2021 13:00

PROGRESS at last:
Thanks to  @Nemo1997  I think we have a very strong lead into likely fixing the issue.
Hopefully what follows will allow other users to repro my fix explained below.

I went to System Setting/ Add Remove Programs and searched for 'dell', I got the list below:
DELL-SW-intalled.png
I uninstalled everything.
Shutdown.
Then I unplugged, reboot and started working on battery. 
At 46% put the computer to sleep and back: No false low battery warning.
At 40% went to hibernation and back: No false low battery warning.
At 30% shutdown. Waited for 30 minutes. Reboot: No false low battery warning.

Continue working until at 6% plugged the charger, waited till charged at 30%. Shutdown. Unplugged. Reboot: No false low battery warning.
Worked normally, normal discharge pace. 
Plugged it back at 15% after about 45min of working on the battery.
Will do more testing in the next few days to confirm all is running ok, including ( maybe) re-installing Dell Support Assist. 

Conclusion:  my hunch is that the Dell Power Manager creates the issue. 

Note: I'm running the latest BIOS ( 1.9.1 if I remember properly -- as reported, it has no influence)

cheers,
-p

4 Posts

March 1st, 2021 17:00

New battery received (paid out of pocket) last week.  Appears to be working normally, both on battery, return from suspend, and power connected.   Did not do any of the Dell uninstall/reinstalls that ppXenon referred to.  Not sure how to reconcile that, but at least it's working now for me.  

No Events found!