Start a Conversation

Unsolved

P

6 Posts

June 1st, 2020 10:00

Dell XPS 15 9560 Battery Issues

Problem: At around the 60% battery life mark, the battery drops down to 5% and puts the laptop to sleep. I power it on again without an AC charger and it continues to run down from 5% to 0%. The werrd thing is, it continues to run at 0% for over an hour. 

This leads me to believe that the remaining 60% is actually still in the battery but the laptop seems to be reading the battery wrong. 

Is there a way to fix this? 

Things I've tried:

Removing battery and plugging it back in

Calibrating by running the battery to an absolute 0% and recharging it back to 100%. 

I recoginze that a 3 year old laptop may be have a decreased battery life but the health still registers as "fair". 

6 Posts

Thank you for your input. Definitely thinking about getting a new battery but I’m determined to try and save this battery. I’m pretty sure it still has a lot of life in it! 

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

Lithium batteries weaken and fail much sooner nowadays. You should start thinking about replacing your 3 yr old battery. See this-- https://www.dell.com/support/article/en-us/sln128667/dell-laptop-battery-frequently-asked-questions?lang=en

Note that the 18 to 24 month life span that is common. Replacement batteries must come from Dell or Dell Parts and supplies of batteries over 2 years old are running down or already out of stock. If you cannot find a replacement from a trusted source, remove the battery when it dies and use the adapter alone. Don't buy batteries from private sellers on marketplaces. Lots of scams online.

BTW--you should never allow a lithium battery to run down to zero. They are not like batteries from years ago. 

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

June 1st, 2020 13:00

I recoginze that a 3 year old laptop may be have a decreased battery life but the health still registers as "fair". 

------------------------------------

Here are status of Dell Battery Health listed below:

Excellent — Battery is operating at maximum capacity.

Good — Battery can charge normally; however, you may notice reduced operating time because long-term battery life is decreasing.

Fair — Battery can charge normally; however, it is near the end of its usable life. It is recommended that you purchase a new battery soon.

Poor — Battery no longer provides sufficient power. It is recommended that you replace this battery.

Battery no longer operates, or battery status cannot be determined. It is recommended that you replace the battery.

You could also generate a battery report by following steps below. The report includes information about battery performance and allows you to observe any decline in battery capacity.

1. Press and hold Windows logo and press R key.

2.In the Run dialog box, type cmd and press Enter key. 

3.In the Command Prompt window, type powercfg /batteryreport and press Enter. (note the space between powerfg and /batteryreport).

4. Open File Explorer and browse to C:\Users\Your_Username\.

5. Double-click battery-report.html to open the report in the browser.

Please view Design Capacity and Full Charge Capacity in the battery report 

Design Capacity - is the actual capacity of the battery it was designed for. 

Full Charge Capacity is the consumption of the battery's capacity. Over the period of time or usage, Full Charge Capacity get reduced as the battery ages which results in lesser hours of usage between charges.

How to get Battery Health Report in Windows 10

http://www.nirmaltv.com/2017/04/29/battery-health-report-windows-10/

No Events found!