Re: Dell XPS 15 9560 Shuts down randomly.

I also experience the same problem. I want to thank the ones that advised to downgrade the intel driver, i'm gonna try that and then run FF XV benchmark, which is GPU-heavy as **bleep**. I'll come back later to tell if it worked.

0 Kudos
SirParzival
1 Copper

I actually have THE EXACT same problem on the exact same device. Apparently downgrading to a working BIOS isn't allowed, so we'll just have to wait for dell to patch it.

0 Kudos
Leo929
1 Copper

I got exactly the same issue. 

I just updated the BIOS the day before yesterday and the random shutdown started yesterday.

I don't want to downgrade the BIOS though. Hope they can fix it ASAP, it's really frustrated for a gamer.

0 Kudos
Leo929
1 Copper

I just updated the BIOS the day before yesterday and the random shutdown started yesterday.

0 Kudos
Dmitry Avilov
1 Nickel

Try install the oldest version of Intel Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework. It's seem that actual version causes this issue. 

RealNyanLion
1 Copper

@Dmitry Avilov are you saying that  Intel Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework's latest version causes the overheating and random shutdown? If so, please tell us to which version to downgrade and if said downgrade is safe. 

0 Kudos
Dmitry Avilov
1 Nickel

I tried version 8.2.11000.2996, A04 (download link in my previous post). At first I uninstalled version 8.3.10207.5567 ,A09, and then installed version 8.2.11000.2996, A04. Now everything works fine.

ojandi
1 Copper

I also can confirm, that returning to the old one version of Intel Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework helps.

Thanks for that solution. I've encountered with unexpected shutdowns last three weeks.

0 Kudos
micah002
1 Copper

I've been having the same issue! I did find a work around for it that doesn't involve software installs or downgrades.

Prop up the back of the XPS 15 about half an inch off the surface of the desk/table you're gaming on. Better airflow means it keeps the GPU and CPU cooler - which doesn't fix the issue where it's shutting down PRIOR to reaching critical temps, but it does keep things just cool enough to not break the erroneous threshold in the bad Intel Driver.

I can't promise this will work for you, and I don't know what will happen in the summer when heats up around here, but for now that extra half inch is working wonders. I can game for a few hours with no problems, where as if I put it flat on the surface it shuts down after about 40 to 90 minutes depending on the game.

I hope this helps a few of you. 

0 Kudos
xrlben
1 Copper

It worked perfectly, thanks
0 Kudos