Start a Conversation

Unsolved

W

4 Posts

May 15th, 2021 09:00

XPS 15 9560, super hot when charging, USB-C port stopped working

Hello! 

I have tried googling and checking the forums without finding any working solutions. 

My XPS 15 9560 (3 years/10 months old, warranty expired July 9, 2018) is getting SUPER hot when being charged. Yesterday I was playing a game and the computer was all cool (40-50°C), until I plugged the power adapter in - BOOM: temperatures jump up to around 80-90°C instead, and as soon as I unplug the charger the temperatures drop in minutes. So the fans are doing their job, but either the battery is defect (?), the laptop is getting a lot of power (equals heat) and gets warm due to that (?), or there is some sort of performance mode that is not working very well. I can notice the game running smoother the second I plug the power adapter in, so I believe my last theory might be correct - but I have not found any settings that differs between the "Battery"-mode and the "Plugged in"-mode, so I'm not sure about that either. 

The computer runs Windows 10 and has all the latest updates and drivers. The battery and charger is OEM. The battery does not look nor feel swollen anywhere. The charger gets kind of hot. The CPU/GPU is not over- nor underclocked. I have re-applied cooling paste (with knowledge) on CPU and GPU and swapped some of the thermal pads out. What I haven't tried yet is reinstalling Windows (due to a lot of software/configs required), but I did that when I bought the computer last year (pre-owned).

I have re-applied cooling paste (with knowledge) on CPU and GPU and swapped some of the thermal pads out.
--- 

My second issue is that the USB-C port have stopped working (with both my external HDD and my headset). It worked until last summer, and after a BIOS update it stopped working, at least from what I can remember). I have tried googling for solutions but I can't find any. The only solution I have found is plugging in the device, rebooting the computer, and then it should initialize and work. 

It's such a shame since I bought this computer partly because of the port, since I wanted to be able to use the HDD but also some other USB-C devices in the future.

What are your thoughts on these issues? Anyone that have had the same problems and maybe even a permanent fix?

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

May 15th, 2021 10:00

Having been pre-owned (used) in most cases you are buying an unknown and don't know how it was used and was connected too it.   If it was from a reseller and not an individual is there any warranty? If there is contact the reseller.

I did some field testing for Dell last year on two different XPS systems.  They both required the 130 watt power adapter.  At factory configuration, FPS testing, for games, showed a major difference between battery and AC power. Temperatures went up on AC power but to around 70+ C.  Laptops sold as "Gaming" laptops have additional cooling because of temperature rise while gaming.  I have an Inspiron 15 Gaming 5577 model that I use in my recording studio.  I don't game with it but bought it because of the extra cooling.

This requires opening the case but check the battery, while charging, to see if it gets (overly) hot while charging. May be the battery is defective.  The battery overheating could cause higher temperatures. The Dell manual is dated 2017-06 so it may be time for the battery.  I've seen several places that "3 years" is considered average lifespan of a Laptop.  There are some that don't last 3 years and many that last more than 3 years.  My Inspiron 15 Gaming 5577 is about the same age as yours (has a 7th gen i5 CPU) but because it sits in my studio and very seldom moved its still "like new".

On the USB-C port, "refresh" the port by uninstalling it in the Device Manager and then restart the PC. When Windows starts it will reinstall and if there were some type of status corruption this should fix it.

4 Posts

May 16th, 2021 09:00

I have worked with selling and repairing computers so I know what to look for, and the XPS I bought was all good! It looked brand new due to the fact that the seller had used it very little. 

The battery was good in the beginning, but then it turned worse. Yesterday I did the Dell Diagnostics and it showed 57%, so I have ordered a new, Dell original, battery. I'll see if that will solve the heating issue. 

The USB-C-port is not working due to some driver corruption. I have already tried what you wrote, but sadly without any results..

4 Posts

May 18th, 2021 11:00

I have now replaced the battery (from 2017) with a new, original Dell one. I will update this thread when I know if there's a difference or not.

1 Message

July 26th, 2021 12:00

@wahdanz did you ever figure this out?

4 Posts

July 27th, 2021 02:00

@suchyno2021 Sadly, I never did. 

The battery replacement resulted in a better battery time and therefore I did not need to have the power adapter connected all the time, and the computer could stay cool longer. But as soon as the power adapter is plugged in the heat starts building up, fast. I have not yet tried changing the power adapter since I don't believe it's faulty, but that would be my next step to try out (even though I've read about several people having this issue and swapping the adapter has not been a solution).

The USB C-port is still not functioning like it did when I bought it. It worked fine in the beginning. I still believe that is connected to the BIOS update (that I mentioned above), some Windows update, or a combination of both.

I really wish Dell would properly look over the USB C-port issue since it is nothing faulty with it. I have even read about the same issue with almost new XPS's. And a BIOS upgrade to fix that can't be too much to ask from Dell. 

1 Message

July 6th, 2022 16:00

I had the same problem yesterday but I managed to solve it by downgrading the BIOS version from 1.10.1 to 1.9.0. Then this problem was gone.  My dell model was XPS 9510.

You could try to use some older version of BIOS. Sometimes, the latest BIOS might have some issues on the device driver by focusing on  aspect (e.g., security) while overlooking other issues (e.g., overheating) 

No Events found!