Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 15th, 2018 08:00

Dell XPS 15 L502x control strip not working

For the last few days (less than a week) I have had some unusual issues with my Dell XPS 15 L502x,

1. The touch sensitive control strip is nonfunctional. It does not respond to touch and the only time any lights show on the control strip is when the laptop is booting from sleep mode and the battery indicator flashes white two times. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the Quickset drivers and they have done nothing. I am very interested to know what the battery indicator on the control strip flashing twice means.

2. Sometimes the computer does not boot. My suspicion however, is that this is that this is not as serious problem as it sounds. I think that the main issue is with the palm-rest assembly circuitry because, I have replaced the CMOS battery and undergone several diagnostic tests which have found no other issues, also my antivirus did not pick up anything either. I just think that the computer is literally not picking up that I am pressing the power button because of the faulty palm-rest circuitry. I have gotten around this by just putting the computer into sleep mode rather than shutting it completely off.

Needless to say, I plan on replacing the palm-rest.

August 20th, 2018 12:00

I figured it out.

After further inspection I found some imperfections in the cable running from power button to the motherboard, a bent pin, a gap in the side of the cable where I can see the copper inside, and a sharp crease that makes me think that some of the 'lines' have been severed or at least damaged. I finally got the computer turned on by taking off the palmrest and straightening the power cable as much as possible and pressing the power button.  I suspect the damage occurred earlier in the summer when I replaced the original hdd with an ssd. Needless to say I am not turning off my laptop again till I get a new palmrest.

Thanks for all your help!

4 Operator

• 

9.4K Posts

August 16th, 2018 05:00

Hi CaptainFSU,

Thanks for posting. Apologies that your system is not performing as expected.

In researching this, unless I'm mistaken, is this computer about 7 years old?  The information I have indicates that the blinking light means the battery is near it's end of life and would probably need to be replaced.

You can purchase batteries (if still available) from Dell Spare Parts, Parts-People.com, or Discount Electronics.  It's best to purchase OEM products and not the Chinese imitations that have allegedly caused fires.

Since your system is more than likely out of warranty due to it's age if repairs are needed, please contact Dell's Out of Warranty Repairs department or you could take it to a local computer repair shop.

Note: 3rd party links are being offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Dell of the content, products, or services offered there.

August 18th, 2018 05:00

I replaced the battery last year (Parts-People), and I don't see how a bad battery would case the control strip on the palmrest to stop working. I am just concerned that one day not just the control strip will die but so will the power button.

The last time I couldn't turn the laptop I removed the palmrest, undid all the cables, unscrewed the power button circuit board from the palmrest and then reconnected everything and only then (for whatever reason) did the laptop power back on.

Is there a way to know if this is a motherboard issue? I don't think it is, but I just want to make sure, because replacing the palmrest is a **bleep** of a lot easier compared to replacing a motherboard.

Thanks again.

4 Operator

• 

9.4K Posts

August 20th, 2018 03:00

From your description, my guess is it's likely the cable for the switches has become loose once again.  Try blowing it with canned air prior to opening the palm rest assembly, and if that doesn't work try what you did before. 

No Events found!