Start a Conversation

Unsolved

SP

44 Posts

October 15th, 2018 06:00

XPS 15 9570 Dell, please disable Bluetooth during sleep!

I use bluetooth mouse and bluetooth headphones with my XPS 15 9570, and it's REALLY annoying that the BT stays active when a laptop is asleep!

A slightest mouse movement would wake the laptop from sleep.

The laptop even connects to my BT headphones and hijacks the connection when I'm trying to connect the headphones to my phone, WHILE it's asleep! So, I have to open the laptop, turn the BT off, and close it again, just so I can connect the headphones to my phone. That's ridiculous!

The underlying problem is that the Bluetooth stays active while the laptop is asleep. Why would anyone need that??

Dell, pretty please, can we at least have a BIOS option to deactivate BT during the sleep for laptops?
Or is there any other way to deactivate Bluetooth during the sleep? It's a serious usability problem for people who use Bluetooth devices.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

October 15th, 2018 07:00

I really can't and have no reason for wanting to dispute what you are saying, but if you had purchased the 9575 2-in-1, you may see it a little differently.  The 2-in-1 configurations make the Bluetooth display on option very convenient.  If your system does have Modern Standby, I don't really see a reason for a normal laptop to have such a configuration.  Having it wake with Cortana, might be useful.

Turning on with the lid closed is a different situation and could, if the system was not in hibernation or shutdown, cause problems.

44 Posts

Turning on the display with a mouse is much more a con than a pro. You can always turn it on with a keyboard, but if you move your mouse by accident, or even shake your table a bit, that will wake the laptop. It's just much more of a hassle than a benefit.

8th gen CPU laptops keep their BT connection with BT devices in modern standby, and they even connect instantly the moment you turn your BT headset on. That prevents other devices (like a phone) from connecting to the headset, if the headset was previously connected to the laptop. (Depends on a BT headset, some play better than others with multiple devices connected.)

Keeping the Bluetooth on during the modern standby totally makes sense with a phone, and maybe little bit with a tablet as well, but definitely not with a laptop.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

I do not know if the 9570 is effected but some systems need the Bluetooth so it can be used to turn on the systems display like with a Mouse or a Pen.  Those types of systems are configured for Modern Standby and the Bluetooth, along with the Wireless are part of that configuration.

I will need to test my Modern Standby system to see if the Bluetooth effects my headset as yours does.  I do believe the systems with 8th generation processors have capabilities beyond the 7th generation, which mine has.

44 Posts

October 15th, 2018 13:00

You are right when it comes to tablets and 2 in 1, Bluetooth can be useful during the standby.

But I think for regular laptop users having an active Bluetooth during the standby is not just unnecessary, but also causes lots of inconvenience, as explained earlier.

I carry my laptop with me in my backpack, take it to places, and when I put it to sleep I need it to sleep. I don't want to hibernate it just so I'm sure it's asleep!

On top of that, bluetooth drains the battery in standby. The battery regularly loses 1% per hour in standby (admittedly, not just because of BT).

At the very least, Dell should provide an option to disable Bluetooth during the standby for regular laptops. I bought a LAPTOP for a purpose, not a tablet.

July 23rd, 2019 09:00

I have XPS 13 9370 and also wish bluetooth would sleep, as I use a bluetooth mouse. I just wish Microsoft hadn't come up with this moronic "modern standby", "connected standby" or whatever they call it, and that Dell hadn't bought into it so enthusiastically I hope this post resurrects the issue by going to the top of the recent post list.

1 Message

March 2nd, 2020 07:00

I also have the XPS 9370, I have had it for about a month and already this annoys me quite a lot. It really should be up to the user to change this setting to allow bluetooth to be turned off. Or even better have it be specific to a device.  I hope this post resurrects the issue by going to the top of the recent post list.

No Events found!