Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 4th, 2018 16:00

XPS 13 9360, re-enable touch screen

Hi,

I disabled my touch screen when I bought my laptop last year. I disabled it from drivers in Device Managers and from BIOS also(but I am not sure of BIOS 100%). 

But now I am not able to enable it back again as I am not able to see any device in HID section in device manager. I am running latest version of BIOS v2.6.2 and there is not visible option in BIOS to enable touch screen.

Any help would be appreciated. I am running a dual boot system with windows.

Thanks,

Vinay

22 Posts

July 1st, 2019 07:00

This solution works for me. 

I was really running out of ideas, as I cannot find the HID-compliant touch screen in my Windows Device Manager and I cannot find the Touchscreen option in BIOS.

Hence as a last resort, I open up my XPS and disconnect the battery cable. Then press the power button for 30+ seconds.

When I put back my cover and start Windows the touch screen is back like magic.

Thanks a lot - hope this help others facing similar issue.

It is not visible as a hidden device as well.

10 Elder

• 

24.8K Posts

In the device manager, go to "view" and "show hidden devices".

10 Elder

• 

24.8K Posts

June 4th, 2018 17:00

Unplug the system, remove the base cover and disconnect the battery.  Hold the power button for 30 sec.

Plug the battery back in and boot the system.  What do you see under "pen and touch" in the system applet?

June 4th, 2018 18:00

Since its XPS so I cannot remove the battery.

Under pen and touch it says " No pen or touch input is available".

10 Elder

• 

24.8K Posts

Check the BIOS setup - if the device is disabled there, Windows won't see it.  And though you cannot easily remove the battery, you CAN unplug it from the system board relatively easily (you'll need to remove the base cover).

The other thing I'd suggest checking is the service tag's original configuration list (support.dell.com) to verify that the system did indeed arrive with a touchscreen (that feature was optional, not standard on your model).

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

@vinaysingh7 wrote:

Since its XPS so I cannot remove the battery.

Under pen and touch it says " No pen or touch input is available".

Ejn63 just suggested disconnecting the battery, not removing it, but yes you can completely remove the battery.  The manual that you can find on support.dell.com includes instructions for removing and reinstalling every component of the system, including the battery.

June 5th, 2018 09:00

I have a touch display, for BIOS can you tell me in which section there is option to toggle touch screen.

image.png

10 Elder

• 

24.8K Posts

June 5th, 2018 15:00

That option will be there regardless of whether you do or don't have a touchscreen.  Did the touchscreen demonstrably work when you received the system?

June 9th, 2018 13:00

Sorry for the late reply @ejn63. I am not ale to see any option for touch screen in BIOS menu.

Yes, it did work fine when I received the laptop.

September 7th, 2018 01:00

I have the same problem with mine XPS 13 9370. I received it two weeks ago and the touch screen was working. Since yesterday is not operational at all.  Please, help.

UPDATE: I think I fix it.

1. I went to Device Manager

2. In Human Interface Devices HID-compliant touch screen was missing

3. I restart the laptop and enter the BIOS

4. I found Touchscreen settings. It looked OK, it was enabled. With nothing else to do, I disabled and enabled again and saved this setting.

5. After the next restart touchscreen was active and the HID-compliant touch screen was visible on Human Interface Devices

I know it sounds strange and without any logic, but worked for me.

UPDATE 2: The problem is back. Today my touchscreen is like a Christmas tree - sometimes works, sometimes doesn't. And the reason - only God knows it. DELL support, please help us.

No Events found!