Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 19th, 2019 15:00

Fix applications bad scaling in windows 10

Hi there,

I have XPS 13 9360 I don't like the apps display scaling it's so bad!! Does anyone know how to fix this issue?

thanks!

• 

17K Posts

March 20th, 2019 04:00

HMB13,

How to fix blurry apps on Windows 10
  • Open Settings.
  • Click on System.
  • Click on Display.
  • Under “Scale and layout,” click the Advanced scaling settings link. Display settings on Windows 10.
  • Turn on the Let Windows try to fix apps so they're not blurry toggle switch. Fix scaling for apps settings.

For my notes, click my username and send me the pc service tag number via private message as well as your Registered name
Email address
Phone number

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

May 19th, 2019 20:00

I wrote two posts in this thread that you might find informative, although that's mostly about understanding the nature of the problem rather than providing fixes, since there aren't any magical fixes.  Newer releases of Windows 10 have a way to try to fix blurry applications by forcing them to scale even if they don't natively support it, but as you might expect, results are a bit hit or miss there.  Otherwise, the only thing to try to avoid is using multiple displays with very different pixel densities if you're doing that now, for the reasons I specified in those posts.  But if you're having a bad experience just using a single display, then although scaling has been getting better over newer releases of Windows 10, it's still not great in all cases.  It's one of the hazards of having high-DPI displays.

247 Posts

May 19th, 2019 13:00

Yes it can be bad especially for none DPI aware applications. Even some menu's in Windows were still blurry and not good at scaling. Its gradually been fixed but not perfect. Honestly the problem is apps, fractional scaling like 125%,150%, 175% because your trying to split pixels into fractions which physically doesn't work. Generally scaling should work by equally doubling in scaling such as 200% or 300% to keep the crispness of the text and images. However it doesn't solve those older apps that do not have the ability to scale to screen. Windows has tried to offer tools in Windows 10 and in 1809 it tried to address this automatically. Still not perfect and so this is where we stand. Linux has a lot of problems with fractional scaling still and its still in a sort of work in progress mode. Apple got it right mostly by using whole multiples of scaling so like 200% for their retina screens. They had issues as well for non DPI aware apps like Windows. For myself I got used to using 100% on my XPS 13 with a 1920x18080 screen instead of 150% scaling. Yeah everything is small and you can use text size to make text bigger. But I find the clarity much better. Besides older apps do not have problems displaying. 

No Events found!