Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 10th, 2019 05:00

Fixing my daughters XPS 13 9350

Over the last four to five years, the black plastic chassis between the folded down screen and the base plate has taken the usual number of teenager hits, and the round socket to access the power port has ceased to be round, and now resembles an upside down U. Consequently, her charger does not remain in the socket.

That's the second charger, by the way. The first got dropped one to many times with the laptop attached. Which explains the U....

I have concluded that I need to replace that back plastic tray and the battery, but that the power housing is OK. The Dell service tag helps me to identify the various components, but the part names don't make obvious sense to me. What I would appreciate some help on is identifying the part numbers of (a) the black tray/chassis and (b) a replacement battery. With these, the Dell support pages and the odd Youtube video, I should be able to get it back into working order.

If anyone can help, I would be most grateful.

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

September 10th, 2019 09:00

Welcome to the Dell Community @Pepperrell 

The "Black Chassis" I think is the "Palm Rest"

XPS 13 Service Manual:

https://www.dell.com/support/manuals/us/en/04/xps-13-9350-laptop/xps-13-9350-laptop/procedure?guid=guid-da70ec45-1f21-475a-9fd5-addd2f106bc6&lang=en-us

You would need to contact the Parts People to see if they are in stock???

Dell XPS 13 (9350) Repair Manuals:

https://www.parts-people.com/blog/category/dell-xps-repair-manuals/xps-13-9350/

Best regards,

U2

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

@Pepperrell 

I just pulled an XPS 13 9350 from my warehouse.

To replace the "Palm Rest" will require completely disassembling the laptop.

The "Power Jack" is a separate part and can be replaced very easily.

XPS 13 9350.PNG

This is one of the times I would agree with @Mary G 

It might be time to retire the laptop???

Best regards,

U2

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

Four year old laptops are really not worth fixing. That is a good lifespan for a well used/abused laptop. Consider replacing it instead if the parts are expensive and/or unavailable which is what you will probably find. Replacement batteries alone cost well over $100.

September 10th, 2019 10:00

Thanks very much, U2. Or should you be SR-71?

That's really helpful. I have also discovered (four years late) that I can charge the XPS13 via the Lightning/USB C port, so I will try that out first and if it works better or as well as the original mains charger, I will suggest that to her in the short term with an Anker wall charger and an appropriate USB to USB C lead.

Is a pure battery replacement straightforward? I presume that the part code LDE294 is correct for this 4 y o laptop, and it seems hat I can get hold of a genuine Dell part for somewhere between £33 +p&p to £50. 

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

September 18th, 2019 04:00

Your very welcome @Pepperrell 

The SR-71 came after me.

But I was able to work on the Mission Planning equipment for both.

Best regards,

U2

No Events found!