Start a Conversation

Unsolved

JM

1 Message

June 4th, 2020 20:00

XPS 15 9500, disable Display Refresh Rate Switching?

I just received my Dell XPS 15 9500, and noticed that when I plug it into power and disconnect it from power the screen briefly flashes black. I tried to figure out how to fix this and eventually found a youtube video with my exact problem. He goes into the Intel Graphics Control Panel and disables the setting called "Display Refresh Rate Switching. I downloaded the control panel from the Microsoft Store, but when I opened it, I could not find this setting anywhere? Does anybody know where this setting is located or another way to get rid of the small black flash? Here is a link to the video which shows the setting and the problem I am facing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQ81PR5lccM

I have also tried going into the settings and changing the refresh rate to be 60Hz both when plugged into power as well as on battery, this did not change anything. I was recommended to make sure the graphics card is enabled on battery mode as well as when plugged in, but it seems that it already was from when I selected it the first time. I am not really sure where to go from here.

Thank You for the help!

1 Rookie

• 

1 Message

August 13th, 2023 06:17

It could be an HDR issue (located in display settings).

When you disconnect the power cord, HDR is automatically disabled because of power consumption. The screen will blink once if you have HDR enabled when you plug/unplug your laptop as it is switching between the on and off states of HDR.

Related source:

https://www.dell.com/community/en/conversations/xps/xps-13-9310-flickering-with-hdr-on-60hz/647f8df6f4ccf8a8deeac1bd?commentId=647f92d2f4ccf8a8de4ba20e

1 Rookie

• 

13 Posts

August 14th, 2023 05:49

Just like @R_vanO  said, your issue is related to HDR setting. 

Try to disable HDR and see if symptom still exist ?

1 Rookie

• 

49 Posts

August 14th, 2023 07:50

black screen flash is caused by the dynamic refresh rate switching that is enabled by default on the Dell XPS 15 9500. This feature changes the refresh rate of the display depending on the workload, which can help to save battery life. However, it can also cause the black screen flash when you plug in or unplug the power.

To disable the dynamic refresh rate switching, you can follow these steps:

1. Open the Intel Graphics Command Center.
  2. Click on the "System" tab.
  3. In the "Power" section, uncheck the box next to "Enable dynamic refresh rate switching."
  4. Click on "Apply" to save your changes.

This will disable the dynamic refresh rate switching and should fix the black screen flash. However, you may notice that the text and images on your screen may appear slightly less smooth. If this is a problem, you can try increasing the refresh rate of the display.

To increase the refresh rate of the display, follow these steps:

1. Open the Windows Settings app.
  2. Click on "System."
  3. In the left pane, click on "Display."
  4. In the right pane, scroll down and click on "Advanced display settings."
  5. Under the "Monitor" section, click on the "Identify" button to see which monitor is your laptop display.
  6. In the "Adapter properties for Display" window, click on the "Monitor" tab.
  7. In the "Screen refresh rate" drop-down menu, select a higher refresh rate, such as 60 Hz or 75 Hz.
  8. Click on "OK" to save your changes.

This will increase the refresh rate of the display and should make the text and images appear smoother. However, it may also increase the power consumption of your laptop.

I hope this helps!

No Events found!