Start a Conversation

Unsolved

B

7 Posts

September 7th, 2020 15:00

Laptop Dock Questions (xps13 9300)

Hi All,  Will a dock that powers at 60W work for my new xps13?  I'm looking at the Kensington 5300t (https://www.amazon.com/Kensington-Thunderbolt-Docking-Station-K38625US/dp/B07VL5XLBS/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8)

Does anyone have experience with this dock and a 9300?

Thanks!

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

@bayoughozt  Just to offer you a couple of other options if the WD19TB for some reason doesn't float your boat, CalDigit has earned a solid reputation for its docks, namely the TS3+ and the USB-C Pro Dock, the latter of which despite the name will take advantage of Thunderbolt 3 when paired with a system that supports it -- but it's backward compatible at reduced functionality with regular USB-C systems, as is the WD19TB.  The TS3+ by comparison REQUIRES Thunderbolt 3 and won't work at all with a non-Thunderbolt system.  However, both of CalDigit's docks only support DisplayPort 1.2 input, whereas the WD19TB supports DisplayPort 1.4 -- as does the XPS 13 9300.  The difference for Thunderbolt 3 scenarios is pretty minimal because the dual DisplayPort 1.2 interfaces that could already be carried over TB3 already approached the limit of the bandwidth limit of TB3 itself, so having DP 1.4 support isn't as much of a gain.  For example, whereas DP 1.2 over TB3 can get you dual 4K 60 Hz, DP 1.4 over USB-C can get you dual 4K 60 Hz + a QHD 60 Hz display.  But DP 1.4 support can make quite a big difference with a non-Thunderbolt system if you ever expect to use one.  With DP 1.2, a regular USB-C dock is limited to a single QHD display (or a 4K 30 Hz display) or dual displays up to 1920x1200 each.  With DP 1.4, a USB-C dock can handle a 4K 60 Hz display or dual displays up to QHD each.

Thanks for that awesome response.  Sincerely appreciated, JP! 

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

@bayoughozt  The XPS 13 9300 only requires 45W for optimal performance, which is why it comes with a 45W power supply.  So yes anything that supplies at least that much power will be fine.  No experience with that specific dock, although given that it's only $10 cheaper than the Dell WD19TB here (at least as of this writing), I'm not really sure why you'd want it.  If you really need an SD card reader, those are cheap and easy to get.  Otherwise, the WD19TB offers a far superior port variety.  It gives you a USB-A and USB-C port on the front, the latter of which can be adapted to USB-A with a dongle if you really want.  And it gives you a LOT more display output connectors.  And it can supply up to 130W to attached Dell systems (90W to non-Dell systems), so it would be more useful to more systems if you might use something other than an XPS 13 later on.  And lastly, you get the benefit of having a Power button on the dock that can control the system, allowing you to power the system up with the lid closed, for example.  You don't find that with third party docks since there currently isn't an industry standard for an external Power button.

September 14th, 2020 11:00

JP, can the WD19TB support refresh rate above 60hz?  I'm looking at a monitor that has a 100hz refresh rate (Samsung LC34J791WTNXZA).   Thanks!

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

@bayoughozt  The dock itself won't impose any limitations directly.  Your limitations will be based on what your GPU will support and whether the dock is getting enough bandwidth to run the desired resolution and refresh rates for all connected displays.  But checking the specs of that display you mentioned, it's a 3440x1440 100 Hz display.  That is very slightly below the bandwidth requirements of 3840x2160 60 Hz, so you should be fine.

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

@bayoughozt  One quick addition to my reply above.  I thought I mentioned this earlier here, but evidently not.  There are currently some threads involving users having problems running dual 4K 60 Hz through the WD19TB from an XPS 13 9300, even though dual 4K 60 Hz through a WD19TB works fine with other systems.  Last time I checked, it wasn't clear whether this was a problem with the XPS 13 9300 in general (because I haven't seen reports from people running dual 4K 60 Hz from that system through other docks) or some interoperability issue that affects the specific combination of that system and that dock.  Either way, hopefully firmware or driver updates resolve that soon, but I wanted you to know about it.  If you're only planning to run a single display, you may well be fine, but just fyi.

September 15th, 2020 14:00

Thanks for your suggestions @jphughan JP.  I think after researching thoroughly, the CalDigit TS3 Plus may be the better bet for me with the SD support, more USB ports and not locking the TB cable onto one side.  I'll report back once I have it set up.

No Events found!