Start a Conversation

Unsolved

D

3 Posts

November 18th, 2018 04:00

New XPS 15 9570 very unstable, and crashing.

I just got a new XPS 15 9570 a couple of days ago, and I must say that it is very unstable. The first thing I did was to do a clean Windows install to remove all the bloatware, and to get all the new updates and drivers. Every time I do something that uses just a little bit of ressources, it crashes and restarts. Even when I leave it idle, it chrashes randomly. Sometimes after a restart, it does a full system disk scan and repair. This is very alarming, and it should not happen at all on a brand new machine. Also, it freeses up randomly during typing or surfing, and my only choise is to force it to shut down by holding the power button down. My 7 year old Lenovo T410 never did this, and it still runs more stable than this Dell. I would like to hear what Dell has to say about this, because this is not ok on a $2500 machine.

9 Legend

• 

12.2K Posts

It almost sounds like a memory or hard drive problem. Have you placed a call to Dell tech support? A new laptop should be far more stable. When you clean installed Windows 10, did you install all the drivers including chipset, and video drivers? The following support page has th order in which to install drivers. Obviously do not install Dell suggested software such as Smartbyte, etc.

https://www.dell.com/support/article/ca/en/cabsdt1/sln148687/how-to-install-dell-drivers-in-the-correct-order?lang=en

9 Legend

• 

12.2K Posts

Also check for any firmware updates for your hard drive. Sometimes the updates correct stability problems.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

November 18th, 2018 07:00

Did you give the system enough time to judge how it performs before you did the Win 10 clean install?

Could you tell us how you did the clean install and what media you used?

3 Posts

November 18th, 2018 12:00

I did the clean install using the fresh start tool in Windows, after which all updates and drivers were installed automatically. Then, I downloaded the Dell command update tool, which updated the BIOS etc. This should leave the machine nice and clean, without any bloatware, and doing it this way is recommended in many articles on the subject. I didn't use the machine with the pre-installed software, so I am not able to compare the two different configurations. But I am pretty sure that a machine like this should not crash randomly when idle.

1 Rookie

• 

30 Posts

November 19th, 2018 17:00

The XPS 9570 only works with specific drivers design for Dell, I ran into many problems when allowing Windows to update other Microsoft products which would install the latest drivers the laptop was not comparable with. I ended up just resetting Windows to factory and disabling the few bloatware programs at startup. As a precaution, I installed the Dell proprietary drivers first then updated Windows with the Microsoft products option off, now the system is running like a dream.

In addition I noticed Support Assist was not running correctly after my attempt to run the latest drivers and was fine after I went back to factory. 

3 Posts

November 20th, 2018 05:00

In my opinion, doing a clean Windows install, shouldn't make any machine crash with a blue screen of death. I also used the Dell command update tool, to get and install the necessary Dell specific drivers, including the BIOS. This is more likely a hardware failure. For instance, this machine is well known for overheating the CPU, because Dell does a really bad job when applying cooling paste, and would explain why it crashes just after doing a little work. My money is on faulty hardware. I am going to use my pro service to get Dell to help.

4 Operator

• 

3.4K Posts

November 20th, 2018 06:00

Thank you for your message. I apologize for the inconvenience caused, I will be glad to assist you with this.

For my reference, please click on the message tab next to your avatar– click “New Message” & search for my Dell username (Dell-Sreejith R) & send a private message with the service tag, registered name & email address.

Click here to find the service tag -  https://dell.to/2xXUCUW

January 7th, 2019 15:00

hello everyone
i got the same laptop for almost month now and i regret for this choice .. actually i have the same problem
my laptop (Dell XPS 15 9570) crashing a lot and unstable at all
sometimes crashes during normal usage, and many times crashes immediately at welcome screen and restart many times before start up and let me to login .. i tried to reset my laptop although i don't have any additional software installed, i tried to update all drivers and bios using Dell Update software that already installed with system
nothing work no good signs or result , but one thing i'm sure of it that i made mistake and wrong decision by purchasing this laptop and my money goes for nothing
by the way in 2017 i also got (Dell XPS 15 9560) laptop and it was better than this edition but also a lot of crashing happening from time to time and it was acceptable to me but not this one it crashes more than it work

hope some one can help up to fix our problems or maybe Dell makes up to us and replaces these bad devices with new stable one

thanks

January 8th, 2019 14:00

Dera Friend,

I have a similar problem. When I launch Autocad in 2 version 2013 and 2019, and after that i try to use some tools of the system the laptop crash. It is a pity I spent 2000€ for a laptop that at the end crash more than my previous 10 years old laptop....

I hope to moderator of Dell could help me. 

Best regards

Sergio 

1 Message

March 8th, 2019 22:00

Same thing has happened to me on 2 separate XPS 9570's. I ordered them both through Costco. First system, on initial boot, threw an error regarding System date-time not being set properly. That scared me on the first so I returned and bought a second. Same thing happened on the second but I figured I'd give it more time. Since I've owned it (3 days), it has bsod'd on me almost 10 times. Event viewer has several errors including Intel Audio Service, kernel, etc. I've never had a new system act out this bad in such short amount of time and I don't want to put the time into it to debug the thing...it should just work. The other thing that scared me about the second system is that inside the XPS box was "rework" sticker that included text of "monitor," and "battery." To me, that screams refurb and it was being sold as new. I am very weary to buy Dell and from Costco anymore.

3 Posts

April 9th, 2019 12:00

It's really bad I just got that computer best XPS possible with I9 processor and it's crashing every 3 hours just using Chrome. Stay away from this model.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

April 9th, 2019 13:00

Any of you folks want to make some of your mini-dump files available on your OneDrive, someone could look at them..  Descriptions of when or how these crashes happen might help.

If you have made any changes to your original configuration, please disclose those changes.  If you feel some software might be responsible, comparing to other systems may expose some flaw.

Sorry I can't guarantee the dump files will help provide a solution, but it is better than doing nothing.

I do know the 9570s have had quite a few posters with sound problems.

2 Posts

April 10th, 2019 09:00

Mine does the exact same thing. Its also brand new. Sent my first one back because of it, and the one they sent me in return has been no better. 

1 Message

October 1st, 2019 05:00

I too have the same problem - machine freezes with horrible noise and have to force a restart usually when I am on a web call. Followed by the blue screen crash, regularly every week since I got it 2 months ago. I so wish I had got a Macbook pro...

I thought it could be spotify or chrome so using firefox, but no its same for both. Could be antivirus (eset). Fan goes on loudly at random times. Everything is up to date, it's automatically set up to update every other  minute - interrupting workstreams to shut down machine so it can update even. PC's just have too much 3rd party muck on them all conflicting, and the advice is always redo everything - I do not have the energy or time to spend 3 hours rebuilding a PC!

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

October 1st, 2019 07:00

@CM_Dad thanks for getting in touch. I'm sorry to hear of the issue you are having with such a new system.

If the system is crashing so frequently it could be either hardware or software related. As the system is so new I suspect the issue is OS or driver related.

My suggestion would be to run the hardware diagnostics and if that fails to return any hardware problems you can refresh Windows. This process doesn't take 3 hrs, to do, more like 20 minutes at most. It refreshes Windows but keeps all your data.

To run the hardware diagnostics, hold down the Fn key and power on the system. It will run through a series of hardware diagnostics. If it detects a problem it will return an error code. Please note down any returned.

If the system diagnostic test passes, please try the following to refresh Windows - https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/04/sln297920/reset-or-reinstall-windows-10-on-your-dell-computer?lang=en#Refresh

I'll drop you a private message to get your service tag details

Alan

No Events found!