Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 10th, 2019 02:00

OS Recovery tool error extracting image file usbkey.zip

I just download a few minutes ago from https://www.dell.com/support/home/ch/fr/chdhs1/drivers/osiso/recoverytool/wt64a the OS Recovery Tool. Put a 32GB USB key into my computer and try to create the recovery USB with that application.

I wasn't able to complete the process as I received the following error

Sorry. An error occurred while extracting image file usbkey.zip. Please check the file and try again.

I've seen I'm not the first one having this issue so there is definitely something wrong with Dell's app. Anyone has an idea or an old version of the tool?

I have already tried all suggestions that I was able to find before posting. Thanks for any advise !

7 Technologist

• 

12K Posts

November 10th, 2019 04:00

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

November 16th, 2019 01:00

Welcome to the Dell Community  @BRabbit27 

Use the Dell OS Recovery Tool to create a USB recovery drive that you can use to reinstall the version of Windows or Linux that came with your PC:

https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/Drivers/OSISO/recoverytool

First “Create” a new folder on your desktop called "Dell OS"

Then "Extract" the file to that folder.

Then go to that folder and double click on "DellOSRecoveryTool"

It should then produce a desktop shortcut called "DellOSRecoveryTool"

Double click on that desktop shortcut to start the process to create the USB Recovery drive.

Best regards,

U2

2 Posts

November 16th, 2019 00:00

Thanks for the reply. That solution dates of 2017 and as you can imagine I tried it without any luck hence why I resposted.

I really appreciate the time you took to write. Nevertheless Dell's customer support said that they cannot help me since my support warranty expired.

So I will look for a solution myself and never, ever will buy again from Dell.

Cheers

17 Posts

December 13th, 2019 06:00

Unfortunately, it doesn't work.

I tried on 2 machines.

I ran as administrator.

The USB is 32GB

I checked folder permissions.

Nothing works.

Unfortunately, the rufus altnerative doesn't work either. The tool never creates an ISO (checked with 'everything'). I just creates USBKEY.zip, but doesn't contain nearly enough.

1 Message

January 11th, 2020 10:00

Thank you very much, changing the preferred language works. Hope Dell will fix this issue.

1 Message

March 6th, 2020 05:00

Hi, i have same problem. Issue is that OS Recovery tool formats USB flash drive as FAT32, but Windows 10 ISO contains file install.wim 4,48GB. It is too big for FAT32 filesystem. 

I tried format USB flash as exFAT before running OS Recovery, but application reformat back to FAT32

No Events found!