Start a Conversation

Unsolved

J

3 Posts

January 25th, 2021 19:00

Overly vivid colors with PremierColor 6.x

Until yesterday, for years (and contrary to the experience of many) I've been very happy with Dell's PremierColor on my XPS 15 9550. Yesterday, via the Microsoft Store, my PremierColor was updated to the 6.x version and since then, the colors on my panel (an SPH143E) are overly vivid, by a significant amount. To add insult to injury, any tweaks made via the (horrible) Intel graphics software (to tone down the colors) don't stick; small adjustments, such as a change to the brightness, reset colors to PremierColor defaults.

Additionally, the PremierColor presets have minimal differences (for example, the difference between Vivid and sRGB is slight). Is anyone else experiencing this? Has anyone else found a solution?

January 28th, 2021 08:00

Yes, I'm in the same situation as you. I use PremierColor on my XPS 15 (7590) to rapidly switch between sRGB for day to day operations, and aRGB when I'm editing raw photos in Photoshop or Lightroom. I understand that most people around here dislike PremierColor, but for the needs that I described, it has always done the job properly.

Sometime within the past several days, I noticed that the screen is overly saturated when I'm using the sRGB profile. In fact, it looks identical to the aRGB profile.

I wasn't quite sure what caused the issue since my system recently updated BIOS (1.9.1), Intel Graphics Command Center (1.100.3282.0) and Dell PremierColor (6.0.80.0).

Do we know if there's a way to downgrade PremierColor?

January 28th, 2021 09:00

I was able to downgrade PremierColor on my XPS 7590 by doing the following

• In Microsoft Store settings, ensure that apps are not set to auto-update
  • Right click on the PremierColor icon in the notification area and select Exit
  • Uninstall PremierColor 6
  • Download PremierColor 5.1.89.0 from my system's download page on Dell.com
  • Double Click on Dell-PremierColor-Software-Application_2GH2M_WIN64_5.1.89.0_A00.EXE and choose INSTALL
    • This resulted in a failed install, but since I performed this action in this order, I decided to document it here
  • Double Click on Dell-PremierColor-Software-Application_2GH2M_WIN64_5.1.89.0_A00.EXE and choose EXTRACT
  • Extract to a subfolder under my downloads
  • In the resulting subfolder, double click on 88ba94807afe49cbb4eb053c68a5b372.appxbundle
  • Choose install

After this, PremierColor 5 is properly installed and the expected functionality of the built in panel has been restored, which is to say that the sRGB profiles are no longer oversaturated.

3 Posts

February 7th, 2021 07:00

@ralphsanchez Thank you for posting this solution! I can confirm that indeed, this has solved the issue... very much appreciate your help.

February 8th, 2021 12:00

You're very welcome. I noticed that Dell just released a new version of the Intel gpu driver and I'm wondering if that version plays any better with PremierColor 6. I don't think I'll try it just yet since the setup that I have now is working properly.

August 6th, 2021 17:00

Thank you so much for posting this. It fixes indeed the problem with oversaturated colors. I really dont understand why dell doesnt fix this issue in the newer versions of premier color.

No Events found!