Start a Conversation

Unsolved

OS

2 Posts

October 13th, 2018 11:00

Precision 5510 laptop doesn't boot on battery power

I have Linux Precision 5510 Laptop Workstation - purchased in 2016. The original battery failed, after only 2 years unfortunately, the original battery is a 84Wh 4GVGH 11.4V. I replaced the battery with a 56Wh RRCGW 11.4V battery. The BIOS and Ubuntu report the battery as healthy. I can run the laptop on battery power without problems. But the laptop will only boot when on A/C power. It will not boot on battery power. Everytime it starts booting, passes the Dell splash screen stage and then powers off. I can't do anything with the system until I plug in A/C. At that point the battery LED flashes 1 White - 3 Amber - 1 White. Has anyone seen or know a solution? I've just flashed the BIOS to v1.8.0 with no luck. Thanks, MY

2 Posts

February 13th, 2019 10:00

I am wondering whether you did find out a cure to your problem. I do have the same problem when I was trying to replace a battery. Whenever I try to use a new battery on my 5510, I got 'ASF2 force off' error code and does not boot. I do not have the same problem with my existing battery, but it is swollen and need to be replaced. I tried many different vendors to find a 'compatible' battery without any success so far. Any help will be much appreciated.

No Events found!