Start a Conversation

Unsolved

H

2 Posts

June 27th, 2022 09:00

Precision 7520 HDMI disabled after waking from sleep

The Dell Precision 7520, every week or two, when I wake the laptop from sleep, the HDMI port will refuse to output video from its HDMI port, but the port is active enough to let the external monitor the port is 'in sleep mode'.

The Dell monitor, if I unplug the HDMI cable, the monitor indicates nothing is connected port, and as soon as I plug the cable into the laptop, the monitor indicates 'entering sleep mode'. So it seems the Dell is not waking up its HDMI port hardware when the laptop comes out of sleep... but only some-times.

Normal usage is I shut the lid at the end of the day, laptop goes to sleep. Morning, I lift the lid and laptop wakes; including sending video to 2nd external monitor via the HDMI port.

This is a major pain in the rear - as a developer on has a lot of applications and windows open, so putting the computer to sleep and quickly resuming is a modern requirement. A shutdown-restart which does bring the HDMI port back to life, is a massive disruption in productivity, as I then need to get back to where I was opening a bunch of file explorer windows, development environment, etc... and if you were in the middle of a debug session you are really hosed..

According to the 7250, the display drivers are the latest, and the BIOS is updated; there is either a lingering BIOS problem or the hardware has a problem in stability - which means DELL laptops are getting worse over generations.

Does DELL have any stance on this issue?

5 Practitioner

• 

2.4K Posts

June 27th, 2022 10:00

Try restarting the Graphics Driver after sleep. Shortcut is Windows key + Ctrl + Shift + B

Try a new HDMI cable (a good quality cable) 

Restore your power plans ( run CMD as admin use command "powercfg -restoredefaultschemes")

No Events found!