Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 22nd, 2018 23:00

XPS 9560, Real Solution to keep the backlit keyboard on?

I use my 9560 for music and DJing and need the keyboard lit all the time. I tried installing the Dell Feature Enhancement Pack, however it seems like it has trouble recognizing the Win10  NET Framework and won't install. Looked in the BIOS, but couldn't find anything there either. Any real solutions? thanks

1 Message

March 16th, 2019 04:00

I have a new XPS from Dell and this is what their support figured out when I called them.

The setting has been moved into the BIOS with one of the updates.

In order to enter BIOS:

1. Shut down the XPS laptop

2. As soon as you press power, repeatedly press F2 to enter into BIOS.

3. Expand the second item in the tree of the left (I think it is System Configuration)

4. The rest should be self-explanatory)

5. There are additional security options, etc. worth noting.

• 

17K Posts

July 23rd, 2018 08:00

jakecake,

Please type Windows Mobility Center onto [Cortana]search box, and look for Keyboard backlight.

Click the link below for information on the backlit keyboard illumination.

How to Turn Off or On and Troubleshoot the Backlit Keyboard on Your Dell Notebook Computer

3 Posts

July 24th, 2018 12:00

Thank you for your suggestion, unfortunately that is not a solution to the problem. Windows Mobility Center on the 9560 has no options for backlit keyboard- see attached screenshot. The link doesn't provide any useful info either.Screenshot

• 

17K Posts

July 25th, 2018 04:00

jakecake,

Did you try the key FN+F10 on the computer? If not, try that to see if it will work to keep the keyboard lit.

3 Posts

July 25th, 2018 11:00

Thank you, but it doesn't seem you understand the issue, which has to do with the keyboard turning off after a set amount of time, NOT with being unable to turn it on. I need the keys to stay lit and not turn off, which I was able to do with my previous XPS15. It seems Dell has removed this setting from the 9560.

1 Message

August 10th, 2018 15:00

I had the same problem with the 9570.  Windows Mobility Center doesn't have the backlight option, and the older version will not install.  Not sure if it was in the BIOS before, but BIOS update 1.3.0 was pushed out today.  I have "Keyboard Backlight Timeout" options in the BIOS.  The keyboard backlight now stays on all the time.  

4 Posts

March 15th, 2019 15:00

Shutdown system. Press F2 on Dell logo during power on and go into system BIOS. On the left expand System Configuration. Under System Configuration click Keyboard Backlight Timeout on AC and set it to Never and click Apply at the bottom. Repeat the same step for Keyboard Backlight Timeout on Battery. Make sure to click Apply after setting the change to Never and then click Exit to exit from BIOS and boot to Windows. Your problem will be solved.

1 Rookie

• 

4 Posts

December 26th, 2019 18:00

Just wanted to say "AWESOME" help.... and to point out how the Dell Moderator evaporated into thin air, providing no help whatsoever. GEEZ

1 Rookie

• 

4 Posts

December 26th, 2019 18:00

PS I changed the BIOS setting to never, still not staying on. EGADS

No Events found!