Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

March 23rd, 2018 20:00

2 1/2 months delivery time XPS 9370

I just purchased my dell xps. I was suppose to be receiving my laptop in 2 weeks according to the estimated delivery date. However, it has been updated today saying I will receive in a month and two weeks from now. This is absolutely ridiculous!

Update: Hello Everyone. Here's the update. They changed my estimated delivery date from 4th of May to 25th of May. Are they serious? Will I keep getting updates everyday saying they will keep delaying the delivery by months. The next thing I know is that they'll tell me that I'll need to wait till next year (or will I ever get it?). I really need a laptop. I have no working laptop. I can't wait 2 months plus!

10 Elder

• 

24.8K Posts

March 24th, 2018 04:00

If this is the new eighth generation XPS Dell announced in January, note that with all new models, production delays are very common.  It's not unusual for the lead time on them to be more than a month - even two or three months.

If you need something quickly, buy the 9560 model - or wait for the next generation; you can't buy what they can't build.

1 Message

March 24th, 2018 06:00

Hi, where did you buy it?

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

March 24th, 2018 08:00

Where are you even seeing the 9570 for sale?  I only see the 9370.

10 Elder

• 

24.8K Posts

March 24th, 2018 10:00

Dell hasn't announced a 9570 model - but it did announce a  9575 2-in-1 at the 2018 CES:

https://www.cnet.com/products/dell-xps-15-2-in-1-2018/preview/

I haven't seen these for order yet anywhere - but it's possible someone's released it for pre-order somewhere.

4 Posts

March 25th, 2018 18:00

Edit: That was a typo from my side. I meant the 9370 13 inch model.

What really bothers me is the fact that when I purchased the laptop, the sent me an email with the estimated delivery date being 15 days after purchase. 

Then all of a sudden, they updated my estimated delivery date to May. Meaning I'll have to wait 2 months to get this computer. Also, I really need a laptop as soon as possible. Although I am a dell fan, I feel this experience made me change my mind about the company. Why make good computers when you can't keep up with customer demands. 

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

March 25th, 2018 18:00

I certainly understand the frustration, but like most product manufacturers these days, Dell does not keep a large inventory of systems or even parts on-hand; they use something like the JIT (just-in-time) supply chain strategy that auto manufacturers also use these days.  As a result, a delay with even one of their parts suppliers can immediately (and therefore unexpectedly) stop their production capability if that part doesn't have an alternative supplier.  This, in fairness to Dell, is why they quote estimated delivery dates.  If you need a laptop sooner than that, have you tried looking at retail locations such as Best Buy and the Microsoft Store to see if they have that system in stock?  Both of those locations tend to carry Dell products, including the XPS line, although I don't know if they have the 9370 yet.

4 Posts

March 26th, 2018 08:00

Yes I did actually. I prefer not to buy anything online. Things can happen and stuff can go wrong. So I went to a couple of vendors and asked if they carry the xps line and they did. However since the 9370 is still new, none of the shops have it. 

I'm aware of the JIT production system they are following, but overall, I've seen enough complaints on the internet about how dells service is bad. People who had issues with their computers and had to return their laptops got it back in months. Others who bought dells computers/laptops had to also wait 2 months or more for it to be produced and delivered.  

Before I purchased the xps, I always feared this would happen to me. For this reason I really considered buying a Macbook because of their amazing customer service and delivery system.

However, I really like dell computers and plus mac has the older generation of intel chips which I was not happy about. 

I just have to be patient and wait. But honestly, I will never buy directly from the company again. If I need to buy anything else, I'll consider other companies or in the worst case scenario I will buy a dell product from bestbuy if they have it available. 

4 Posts

March 29th, 2018 07:00

Hello Everyone. 

Here's the update. They changed my estimated delivery date from 4th of May to 25th of May.

Are they serious?? Will I keep getting updates everyday saying they will keep delaying the delivery by months.

The next thing I know is that they'll tell me that I'll need to wait till next year (or will I ever get it?). I really need a laptop. I have no working laptop. I can't wait 2 months plus!!

10 Elder

• 

24.8K Posts

March 29th, 2018 09:00

Are you located in the US?  Because if you are, it's as simple as heading to your nearest Best Buy.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/searchpage.jsp?id=pcat17071&st=dell+xps+13

1 Message

September 12th, 2018 14:00

Just wanted to chime in on this to concur. 

I ordered a Dell G7 15 - 7588 to replace an older laptop on 9/9. 

My previous experience with Dell they were famous for quick to-order deliveries.

After I ordered, I saw the actual delivery date was about a month, 10/2. And $60 shipping.

There was also a immediate pending charge on my card, as opposed to charging me once the laptop is actually ready to sell.

The same item was on Amazon for $100 more, but I wanted to order direct. 

I could have had the item sooner, and with free shipping making it a comparable price. 

I won't make the same mistake again.

1 Message

January 6th, 2019 20:00

I wish I had read through all these threads regarding delivery delays before I placed an order.

It's been 2 weeks waiting for my xps 13 9370. I just sent a mail asking for an explanation, hope I don't have to wait 2 weeks for a reply as well.

Maybe I should have gone with a Macbook instead. It's ridiculous for a company as big as dell to have these sort of issues.

No Events found!