Start a Conversation

Unsolved

L

1 Rookie

• 

67 Posts

September 10th, 2020 12:00

Screen flickering on Dell XPS 9380 4K model

My XPS 9380 with 4K touch display has screen flickering issue recently, pretty frequent, and quite annoying. Here is what I did so far:

1. Run Dell hardware diagnostic program both online and through Bios stage, and both returns no errors.

2. Have the laptop connected with external display, and no flickering on external monitor at all.

3. Downloaded the LCD firmware application program through Dell website, which was suggested by others, but that program can not be run on mine due to message "your device is not supported".

4. Try to turn off "Enable Adaptive Brightness" setting as suggested by others, but can't find this setting on mine.

5. Run "Intel Graphics control panel" app, and disable the "panel self-refresh", it made the flickering better (less frequently flickering, but still flick some times).

Can anyone advise if there is a better solution to have this issue resolved?  

Thanks,

Shaun

10 Elder

• 

24.7K Posts

September 10th, 2020 13:00

Does the screen flicker when a screen diagnostic is running?  Hold the D key through powerup to initiate the LCD built-in self test.

1 Rookie

• 

67 Posts

September 10th, 2020 13:00

The screen did flicker a bit when running the diagnostic from Bios stage, however, I just tried the D key thing for self-test, it just changing the colors, and didn't flicker. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

10 Elder

• 

24.7K Posts

September 10th, 2020 16:00

That likely means the screen is OK.

That would leave a driver issue (most likely), or a hardware fault with the cable connection to the system board - or a GPU issue as the other possibilities.

Does the screen flicker if you run in Safe Mode?  Access to that:

https://support.avira.com/hc/en-us/articles/360002870214-How-do-I-start-Windows-10-in-Safe-Mode-

1 Rookie

• 

67 Posts

September 10th, 2020 19:00

If it is on driver, would that be the one for display, the intel graphics UHD 620 driver?

1 Rookie

• 

67 Posts

September 10th, 2020 21:00

Just tried the safe mode, and it is fine, no flicker.

No Events found!