Start a Conversation

Unsolved

M

1 Message

September 21st, 2018 21:00

Two finger scrolling stops working

Two finger scrolling is turned ON and works for a couple of seconds and then stops working.  It's totally random.  Sometimes it works, most times it stops working after a few seconds on a page.   Is this a bug within Windows, is it an issue with the laptop, what is going on?

14 Posts

October 21st, 2018 02:00

I have the same problem I think. I will be scrolling down a website using the touchpad and all of a sudden the scroll freezes, cannot go up or down using two fingers on touchpad. I can scroll up or down using the scrollbar or up and down buttons so looks to me to be a touchpad issue. I actually think there are other issues in regards to this touchpad, such that it simply stops working at times so I could be trying to click a link, or open a folder or just trying to move the cursor to a new position in a document and touching or indeed clicking the touchpad does nothing, it just doesn't respond. I am actually regretting purchasing this laptop to be honest.

1 Message

November 24th, 2018 18:00

I have this same problem, just bought a brand new Dell Inspiron 2 in 1 and brand new out of the package the touchpad is not working correctly. I'll be doing the two-finger scroll and randomly it will stop working. I have to click into another tab, scroll, and then go back to the other tab to get it to continue scrolling. I have been searching around the community here for answers and it seems this is an ongoing problem for Dell laptops for the last couple of years (or at least since Windows 8 was around), maybe even longer. Gee, you would think a company as big as dell would fix its problems since it's been a persisting problem for a while now but i guess not. 

I know you didn't post your question looking for other people to just say, "having the same problem" but hopefully if there are enough replies on it, someone from the support team will be more likely to see it and post an updated driver solution. I've tried to follow the ones on older posts but the settings and control panel stuff isn't the same as it used to be. Hopefully, Dell will get on this and solve this problem which is obviously their fault as my new out of the box laptop does it but I doubt it. 

14 Posts

November 25th, 2018 03:00

Hi k_cauldron After the usual, have you tried rebooting, have you tried an external mouse, have you tried safe mode and all the other baloney they sent an engineer to replace the touch-pad and so far it seems to be working. I have not noticed it since. Your issue sounds exactly the same as mine so you will need to tell them you want it replaced. Hope that helps.

4 Operator

• 

3.4K Posts

November 26th, 2018 09:00

Thank you for your message. I apologize for the inconvenience caused.

Please run a test on the touchpad from Dell Support Assist application, Click on troubleshooting – check a specific device – mouse (2nd option) & then run the test.

For my reference, please click on the message tab next to your avatar– click “New Message” & search for my Dell username (Dell-Sreejith R) & send a private message with the service tag, registered name & email address.

Click here to find the service tag -  https://dell.to/2xXUCUW

14 Posts

November 28th, 2018 14:00

Mine is fixed. I went through all the ridiculous try this, try that rigmarole. It got replaced in the end. I was answering to help k_cauldron out as they have the same issues as I had, in other words their touchpad is also faulty so maybe you could arrange for them to also get a new touchpad. That would be nice, cheers.

14 Posts

December 30th, 2018 08:00

Update: Mine is not fixed, it still happens. The screen also freezes up for 5 to 10 seconds at random moments.

Never will I buy from Dell again.

4 Operator

• 

3.4K Posts

December 31st, 2018 10:00

Did you get a chance to run a touchpad test & was the touchpad working fine there?

Is it only the scrolling option that does not work? Does the click work fine?

For my reference, please click on the message tab next to your avatar– click “New Message” & search for my Dell username (Sreejith R) & send a private message with the service tag, registered name & email address.

How to find service tag.

14 Posts

January 3rd, 2019 03:00

Hi

I ran the touchpad tests for what little use that was. It worked.

It is intermittent and also, yes, the click stops working at times too.

This is the same problem I had with the previous touchpad. The new one lasted a month, or possibly i was not using it as much as I moved home so may just not have noticed.

I have searched the internet and I am definitely not the first person to have this issue, in fact similar issues can be found going back a year and more.

I tried to update the Intel 630HD display driver as I heard the freezing may have something to do with that but when I download it from intels website I cannot install because i get a message saying I have to get the latest from the manufacturer, which is Dell, but you don't have a more up to date one on your site. I have uninstalled and downgraded the display driver which I think has stopped it freezing but too soon to be sure, I just have to keep telling the dell updater not to update to the latest one from your website.

I really don't know what else to do, either:

1. You take it back, refund me and let that be the end of it, I never use Dell again
  2. I completely reformat and remove any reference to Dell so that I can get the up to date drivers, I did see mention that somebody did this and the machine is fine once they got rid of anything Dell like.
  3. I take matters further, consumer protection etc
  4. You send a brand new "working" laptop
What would you recommend?

Thanks, happy new year
Paul

11 Posts

January 3rd, 2019 10:00

mine also has the same problem. usually this kind of problem is connected to the driver. however, dell is entirely useless when it comes to drivers for the touchpad, because they are not available for download under the xps section for my model 9370. dell offers some touchpad drivers for other xps models, but they are enclosed within an installer. the installer checks your laptop model and refuses to install if its own check fails.

as far as I know touchpads for the xps are synaptics. so the other option would be to get drivers from synaptics. they however do not offer any for download on their website.

the whole thing is absurd because normally drivers should be available for download, and it's very unprofessional for dell to not offer any. they leave the touchpad in the hands of windows, which takes care of precision touchpads. however, if there's some incompatibility for certain dell laptops, windows isn't going to do anything about it. so if you check the driver's version on the xps 9370 it says the drivers are from 2006.

I've tried different suggested solutions but I could not find any that worked. finally I found some recent synaptics drivers on a 3rd party website and forced their installation on the xps. I have not finished testing so I'm not sure it will work. the drivers and touchpad work, but I am waiting to see if the issue is resolved or not

14 Posts

January 3rd, 2019 10:00

Hi Yes, it seems to be a problem for a lot of people and all we get asked to do is try this diagnostic or that diagnostic when there is clearly an issue. It does seem to be drivers but like you said you try and update them and it won't let you. I did see a post somewhere where someone completely reformatted and got rid of all Dell so they had a bare bones laptop and were then able to install up to date drivers. My problem with this is that if I do that would there be no chance that Dell will give me my money back. I don't think it is likely they will but I don't want to make the chances slimmer than they already are. I am not happy with Dell and I will never order from them again.

March 16th, 2019 08:00

I think the main issue is between 2 parties

1.OS (in this case Microsoft Windows 10 ?) (can someone confirm there are no problem if reward back to windows 7 ?)

2.Driver from Hardware Manufacturer (Synaptics right ?)

I come here to say I have same issue even my Laptop is HP .... that why I think it was between Windows / Driver

11 Posts

March 18th, 2019 18:00

I see this happen quite a bit, but only ever in Chrome, and switching to another Chrome tab and back is the only thing that fixes it, which seems like an issue with the browser in my case. Never had it happen in anything else

14 Posts

March 19th, 2019 00:00

I had it in chrome which was the worst but also in Edge, Spotify, Android Studio and others.

It turned out I had other problems as well, ended up getting a new motherboard but with one USB socket that did not work, they sent a new one but this time the opposite USB did not work and there was no sound, despite troubleshooting. They then sent another new one. There were also issues with WIFI, it would not reconnect after sleeping so that wireless card was replaced. Bit of a mess really!!

After all those the only issue remaining seemed to be the scroll freezing. I had to reformat and reinstall Windows 10 but I DID NOT reinstall any Dell software so that it will not use their "recommended drivers". My touchpad driver is now Microsoft Version 10.0.17763.379 dated 21/6/2006. Previously it had been the Synaptics one that they install and was on the Dell website, it was not possible to get the most recent one from synaptics because Dell was not allowing it, kept getting an error message about the computer manufacturer not letting you upgrade. With the Windows driver it seems to be working.

I did get another new issue with the screen flicking off and on, but updated my display drivers (not using Dells tools as I did not reinstall those) and hoping that will be fixed.

It seems like the person who mentioned getting reinstalling and not putting any Dell stuff back on was correct. The annoying thing is all the software I had installed I have to reinstall and to get Microsoft Office back on I am going to have to go cap in hand to Microsoft and ask for Another new Key because they had to help out the last time.

Obviously, reformatting would not have fixed the broken motherboard issues but I may not have noticed those in time had I not begun to be extra vigilant about checking just what they had given me.

Hope that helps.

April 4th, 2019 21:00

Thanks for the tip. 

Switched to Firefox for the past hour and haven't run into this scrolling issue once. It does appear to be only with chrome that this happens. 

2 Posts

April 4th, 2019 22:00

Happens on every laptop with Windows / Chrome.  Known issue.  Click a new tab and go back to the old tab and it works again.

No Events found!