jphughan
5 Rhenium

Re: U2719DC, XPS 15-9550, USB Type-C not working

@srknbdr  if you want 4K 60 Hz and want to charge the system through the same connection, then yes your only options are the TB16 with a 240W adapter, or possibly the newer WD19TB that has replaced the TB16.  I don't know if that newer model will work with the XPS 15 9550, though.  I expect it will, but I haven't seen that absolutely confirmed anywhere.  That said, the WD19TB's key improvements don't really apply to the XPS 15 9550.  It can accept a DisplayPort 1.4 signal from the attached system, but your system only supports 1.2 anyway.  It's also backward compatible with regular USB-C (non-Thunderbolt) systems, but the XPS 15 9550 supports Thunderbolt.  Other than that, it's just got a slightly different port selection, a slightly different requirements about how certain types of display setups have to be cabled, and a modular design, although that last part is most relevant to businesses that have a lot of these, not so much for home users.  Also note that the WD19TB only comes with a 180W adapter, but on that model, that's enough power to provide 130W to the attached system.  I guess the WD19TB's own electronics are more efficient.

If you don't want a dock, the only way to get 4K 60 Hz would be through a USB-C to DisplayPort cable (or USB-C to HDMI 2.0 cable) attached directly to the system, NOT through any sort of multi-purpose dongle like the DA300.  If your display supports both DisplayPort and HDMI 2.0 inputs, I would choose the former.  The reason the WD15 can't do 4K 60 Hz is the same reason that the DA300 can't do 4K 60 Hz.  Very basically, if you connect a USB-C dock/device that wants to support both video and USB data traffic simultaneously, the available video bandwidth gets cut in half in order to allow for USB data traffic, hence 4K 30 Hz.  If on the other hand you use a video-only cable like the USB-C to DisplayPort cable I mentioned, then the full bandwidth of the USB-C connection is available for video.  If you want more details, I wrote a technical post about the various operating modes of USB-C and their impact on available video resolutions here, because this confusion comes up quite a bit.

srknbdr
2 Bronze

@jphughan thank you again for the information. The store I bought the monitor from sent me a free usb-c to DP adapter. This is the explanation I was looking for! : [ Very basically, if you connect a USB-C dock/device that wants to support both video and USB data traffic simultaneously, the available video bandwidth gets cut in half in order to allow for USB data traffic, hence 4K 30 Hz. If on the other hand you use a video-only cable like the USB-C to DisplayPort cable I mentioned, then the full bandwidth of the USB-C connection is available for video. ] I‘ll try it with a dongle and if it works I‘ll get it replaced with a DA300, which has an additional LAN adapter. I‘ll keep you updated.
0 Kudos
jphughan
5 Rhenium

@srknbdr wrote:
@jphughanthank you again for the information. The store I bought the monitor from sent me a free usb-c to DP adapter. This is the explanation I was looking for! : [ Very basically, if you connect a USB-C dock/device that wants to support both video and USB data traffic simultaneously, the available video bandwidth gets cut in half in order to allow for USB data traffic, hence 4K 30 Hz. If on the other hand you use a video-only cable like the USB-C to DisplayPort cable I mentioned, then the full bandwidth of the USB-C connection is available for video. ] I‘ll try it with a dongle and if it works I‘ll get it replaced with a DA300, which has an additional LAN adapter. I‘ll keep you updated.

@srknbdr   happy to help, but if you connect your display through a DA300, you'll be limited to 4K 30 Hz.  The DA300 itself supports 4K 60 Hz output, but that's only available when it's connected to a system that supports DisplayPort 1.3 or better over USB-C, and pretty much every system on the market right now only supports 1.2.  The reason is that no current Intel GPUs support anything higher than that, so the only systems where anything higher is available are systems that both have discrete GPUs (somewhat uncommon) AND have the discrete GPU rather than the Intel GPU directly wired to the display outputs (very uncommon).  This will start to change later this year when Intel's "Ice Lake" CPUs arrive, which will incorporate their new Gen 11 GPU that supports DisplayPort 1.4 over USB-C.  They should appear first in systems like the XPS 13, with the equivalent for the H Series CPUs used in systems like the XPS 15 arriving later.

0 Kudos
srknbdr
2 Bronze

@jphughan Sooooo the next problem is that I can‘t connect a network cable when I use a dongle. Somehow all the ways end up at TB16 240W.

can‘t believe it

0 Kudos
jphughan
5 Rhenium

@srknbdr wrote:

@jphughan Sooooo the next problem is that I can‘t connect a network cable when I use a dongle. Somehow all the ways end up at TB16 240W.

can‘t believe it

@srknbdr   I'm not sure what you mean when you say you can't connect a network cable when you use a dongle.  Do you mean that you want a dongle because you need to use a network cable, but the problem is that you can't use that dongle if you want the display setup you're trying to achieve?  In that case, consider getting a USB Gigabit Ethernet adapter that plugs into the system's USB-A ("regular USB") port, like this one.  That will allow you to have a wired network connection while keeping your USB-C port dedicated to video output and therefore able to run 4K 60 Hz.

0 Kudos

srknbdr,

Click my name and private message me the monitor service tag number as well as your registered name, email address, and phone number.

0 Kudos
srknbdr
2 Bronze

Never considered this way, you‘re right. Thanks. (But: Yay, another dongle, good thing that I‘m trying to connect my Laptop through only one cable for everything).

0 Kudos
jphughan
5 Rhenium

@srknbdr wrote:

Never considered this way, you‘re right. Thanks. (But: Yay, another dongle, good thing that I‘m trying to connect my Laptop through only one cable for everything).

You're very welcome.  I know the dongles are annoying, but 4K 60 Hz simply requires a ton of bandwidth, so unless you want to go with a Thunderbolt dock, if you want both a high-bandwidth video signal and wired Ethernet, you'll have to run those over separate ports.  Good luck!

0 Kudos
srknbdr
2 Bronze

Tried the dongle, works fine. I‘m probably keeping the monitor and maybe I‘ll buy the docking station later.

Thank you very much again for your help and have a nice day!

0 Kudos
ctaboo
1 Copper

Sorry to hijack this solved thread but I am having a similar issue, so might be better to keep all problems/solutions in one thread. I have an XPS 15 9550.

I have purchased a simple USB C to Display port to connect my 27" Apple Display, to no avail. It simply does not get detected.

I have also tried connecting this converter via a small USB C hub (which includes, HDMI, ethernet and a USB C port) but I get the same result.

Drivers are all updated but just about to update the BIOS. Any assistance would be appreciated.

0 Kudos