Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 10th, 2020 02:00

XPS 13 9310, Ubuntu, deep sleep missing

My computer drains a lot of battery when in sleep mode.

I've tried following the steps outlined in this bug report, tried the diagnosis layed out in this question and disabled the "sign of life" options in the BIOS as described here.

I confirmed my system sleeps in the `s2idle` state. Which I suspect is the problem.

$ sudo journalctl | grep "PM: suspend" | tail -2
May 13 18:41:00 mex kernel: PM: suspend entry (s2idle)
May 13 20:52:36 mex kernel: PM: suspend exit

However I have 2 issues when trying to follow the above guides: Firstly my `/sys/power/mem_sleep` file does not contain a `deep` option:

sudo cat /sys/power/mem_sleep
[s2idle]

And secondly I can't seem to edit the file to add a `deep` option:

$ echo deep | sudo tee /sys/power/mem_sleep
deep
tee: /sys/power/mem_sleep: Invalid argument
$ sudo sh -c 'echo deep > /sys/power/mem_sleep'
sh: 1: echo: echo: I/O error

Not being able to close the lid and have the laptop suspend is very annoying. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

OS: Ubuntu 20.04, 5.8.0-26-generic / Hardware: Dell XPS 13 9310

10 Posts

May 10th, 2021 22:00

Then I would suggest returning the device will be your only option. Or reach out to Dell and see if you can find out whether they are intending to enable S3 sleep.

The other option is to setup hibernation instead.

24 Posts

May 10th, 2021 22:00

It IS causing me problems. Every once in a while the battery will completely drain in a couple of hours in sleep mode. See my 11-14-2020 06:45 AM post.

5 Posts

May 17th, 2021 12:00

I am running Fedora 34 kernel with kernel 5.11.20 and the issue is still present.
The laptop drains around 60% of the power with the closed lid in around 4 hours (15% in an hour).

34 Posts

May 17th, 2021 12:00

The XPS 13 9310 does have modern standby, there is no regular deep sleep, hence the option "mem_sleep_default=deep" does not do anything on that device.

However, with recent kernels (5.10 >=) power consumption during sleep has been quite okay (I think last time I measured it was around 3% per 8 hours sleep).

Do you still have any problems with the latest Bios version and kernel 5.10 or newer?

10 Posts

May 17th, 2021 21:00

This is interesting as I have tested my laptop with F33 and F34 and never noticed high battery drain in standby. I ended up sticking with Arch though as I found howdy and fprint easier to setup and battery life seems to be much better. I regulally see 2-4w of power draw under minimal load whereas with Fedora I would get around 8-10. Disappointing as I was keen to give Fedora a good go.

I suspect something is keeping your laptop awake, I don't even see 15% in an hour when in use.

Used 5.9,10,11 & 12 under Manjaro and then Arch and didn't see excessive battery drain on standby.

24 Posts

May 20th, 2021 06:00

@Esokra1es, re your question: "Do you still have any problems with the latest Bios version and kernel 5.10 or newer?"

I now have both and after a couple of days of testing on my Ubuntu machine, my results pretty much match yours. If things change I will post.

2 Posts

May 23rd, 2021 03:00

ok, I got fooled by myself. I missed the "Perform lid-closed action even with external monitor attached" in the setting, which defaults to false.
I really did expect to see something in the syslog anyway, but it seems this is not the case.

2 Posts

May 23rd, 2021 03:00

I see some are reporting different battery drains with suspension. A question: are you sure your laptop suspends when the lid is closed? I'm using Mint (based on Ubuntu) and my 9310 does not enter sleep mode when I close the lid, even it that is what is set in the power settings. I can tell that for sure: I use an external monitor and nothing happens when I close the lid (nothing is even reported in the syslog).

Now I'm going to investigate this specific issue, I just wanted to share my experience so that you can check on your own if this is the cause for the high battery drain "with the lid closed".

2 Posts

May 27th, 2021 10:00

I have the exact same problem running a Dell Vostro. latest bios & Ubuntu 20.04.

Will just shut down instead of suspend I guess

47 Posts

May 27th, 2021 14:00

@eemmerich please paste here the output of `sudo cat /sys/power/mem_sleep`.

2 Posts

May 27th, 2021 14:00

cool will post details here:

> uname -a

Linux eemmerich-Vostro-5502 5.8.0-53-generic #60~20.04.1-Ubuntu SMP Thu May 6 09:52:46 UTC 2021 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

> sudo cat /sys/power/mem_sleep

[s2idle]

Running on a Dell Vostro 5502 with bios version 1.4.1
I have verified that the "Block sleep state" option is turned off in bios.

2 Posts

July 5th, 2021 08:00

Same problem with Dell Vostro 3500

$ uname -rs
Linux 5.12.13-1.el8.elrepo.x86_64

$ cat /sys/power/mem_sleep
[s2idle]

1 Message

July 5th, 2021 10:00

Same for Latitude 5420 BIOS 1.8.0

$ uname -rs
Linux 5.10.0-1034-oem

$ cat /sys/power/mem_sleep
[s2idle]

1. Close the lid or select suspend.
2. Put the notebook to a bag.
3. Wait 12+ hours
4. Get the notebook out from the bag.
5. The notebook is warm (almost hot) since s2idle is not a real sleep.
6. Open the lid to confirm that it will resume (there is a delay on the power button led) and check that most of the battery charge is gone.

3 Posts

August 3rd, 2021 04:00

With a quick skim i didn't see it noticed yet, so i write an entry to let others know, because this post is one of the first things you will find googling for the issue. I also had this issue using Fedora instead of Ubuntu for months and it really frustrated me to the max...

Having a new shiny device, chosing a series that has linux models to get the very best hardware support i can and then deep sleep doesn't work and makes the device almost unusable for mobile use.

Yesterday, after weeks and months of searching the web, trying to adjust the ACPI tables to get s3 back, and many many other things i stumbled across a bugzilla entry on the linux kernel mailinglist for Dell 9310 and s0ix sleep not working:  https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=211879

The - almost too easy - solution is: Set the disk mode from RAID to AHCI in the BIOS. I did that yesterday and tried sleep mode. I had a 1% drop in battery in almost 5 hours yesterday. I will further check it today when i come home from work. But it looks like this is the fix for the issue at first sight.

3 Posts

August 3rd, 2021 10:00

Quick Update on my last post: 26 Hours. Battery drop from 99% to 91%. 

That's solid, and if it stays like that i am pretty happy - finally. 

TLDR: Change the disk mode in BIOS from RAID to AHCI. 

No Events found!