Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 25th, 2020 12:00

Water Spill on XPS 13 9300

I spilled water on the keyboard of my laptop when it was turned on. Though I was slightly late, I shut down my computer, wiped the excess water, and turned it upside down on a dry surface. I waited at least four hours before turning the laptop on again. The laptop turned on fine, but I’m still worried about any damage that it may have sustained. Should I abstain from using the laptop for a couple days? Or is it fine now?

10 Elder

• 

24.8K Posts

If it's operating OK, you're probably fine.  Unless you disconnected the battery, the power has been live all this time, and something would have shorted out.

The unfortunate thing is likely that if you had a warranty, and something fails - someone at Dell will notice if any water got inside, so be prepared if the system does fail to be told the warranty is void.

To completely check the inside of the system (Including under the keyboard) requires a major disassembly operation you may not want to undertake.  Service manual:

https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/product-support/product/xps-13-9300-laptop/docs

10 Elder

• 

24.8K Posts

Yes, there is, particularly if the water seeped into a connector, where it will dry and leave behind traces of whatever minerals were in the water - possibly causing corrosion.  It's a question of risking that vs. completely dismantling the system (assuming the water was spilled near the keyboard).  Probably worst case is keys start malfunctioning - at which time you'll need to replace the palmrest.

2 Posts

I see! I haven’t disconnected the battery from the computer when I turned it off. But is there a possibility that something may go wrong in the future?

No Events found!