Start a Conversation

Unsolved

D

22 Posts

November 9th, 2018 04:00

XPS 13-9343, swollen battery, but is the touchpad damaged?

I have an XPS 13 9343 which had the swollen battery problem and was purchased by me after the battery had been removed by the previous owner. However the touchpad still has a bit of a "wobble" on it, which seems to be caused by it sitting very slightly off the case support underneath even with no battery installed. My question is this: is this likely due to a damaged touchpad or the case being warped? I don't really want to go to the expense of buying a touchpad if the whole palmrest needs replacing.

Superficially, the palmrest looks flat and undamaged, but I can't see why the touchpad (which simply attaches with 4 screws) would be sitting off it like that. Is it common that touchpads often also need replacing after battery swelling, or is it more common to have to replace the whole palmrest?

Any advice appreciated.

9 Legend

• 

12.2K Posts

November 9th, 2018 04:00

There are a lot of posts on the Internet and in the forum, of users with the same problem. Many have had swelling which swelled the keyboard and touchpad very noticeably. None of the posts has ever mentioned changing the keypad or touchpad. If it affects the operation then the touchpad can be replaced.

https://www.parts-people.com/blog/2016/12/09/dell-xps-13-9343-p54g001-touchpad-removal-installation/

November 9th, 2018 07:00

I had an XPS 15 9550 a while back that had a similar issue, and Dell fixed it under warranty - but they replaced the palmrest and touchpad as a precaution, so I'm assuming it is known to damage these items under some circumstances. It's just hard to assess which (if not both) is the cause of the problem I have now. Neither look physically damaged but there is definitely some misalignment coming from something.

No Events found!