Start a Conversation

Unsolved

A

6 Posts

August 11th, 2019 07:00

XPS 13 (9350) Not charging past 59%

Hi,

I have a 3 year old XPS 13 and I am having battery charging issues.

When I plug in a power adapter the white charging light on the body lights up then goes out then lights up again and periodically it goes out.  I have tried this with 2 different official dell chargers with the barrel connector and also with a Lenovo USB-C charger.  All have the same problem that the battery won't fully charge, even if left over night.

I have update the BIOS.
I have ran the battery diagnostic and it has passed.
I have run the full diagnostic and it has passed.
I've reset windows.
Dell command and BIOS say the battery health is excellent.
The power connector is not loose or damaged in any way

Is there anything I can try?

Cheers,
Al

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

August 11th, 2019 11:00

The battery meter is not always accurate. If you have the original battery it might be wearing down. Most of today's battery don't last for 3 yrs.

Here's some info about batteries from Dell--

https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/04/sln128667/dell-laptop-battery-frequently-asked-questions?lang=en

380 Posts

August 12th, 2019 02:00

Run this command in a Command Prompt window. Start the Command Prompt using "Run as administrator".

powercfg /batteryreport /output %USERPROFILE%\Downloads\BatteryRpt.html

It will generate a report in your "Downloads" folder that you can read with your browser. It will show the status of your battery.

JohnD

6 Posts

August 12th, 2019 11:00

Thank you both for the information.

I left the unit on the charger but with the laptop powered down and it go to 100%.

I ran the battery report and can see the capacity has gone down significantly.  I will monitor the situation and see about replacing the battery.

All the best,
Al

MANUFACTURER SMP
SERIAL NUMBER 2737
CHEMISTRY LiP
DESIGN CAPACITY 57,532 mWh
FULL CHARGE CAPACITY 38,076 mWh
CYCLE COUNT -
No Events found!