Shep914
1 Copper

Re: XPS 13 9350 Windows 10 Update stalled because of out-of-date Intel RST driver

Try this in Chrome - it detects the driver and installs it:

https://www.intel.co.uk/content/www/uk/en/support/detect.html

Shep914
1 Copper

Re: XPS 13 9350 Windows 10 Update stalled because of out-of-date Intel RST driver

Just to add - using the above link it has just now successfully overcome the Windows Update failing because of the RST driver message and I can move on with my life.
davidlpotts
2 Bronze

This is a test. I cannot seem to post here anymore.

Highlighted

Hey davidlpotts,

I see your post.

0 Kudos
davidlpotts
2 Bronze

Thanks, JohnD, for for your good work here. Every one of your posts on this thread has been accurate, and I appreciate it.

As we know, the RST driver that Dell supplies for the XPS 13 9350, version 15.2.2.1030, is within the range (15.1.0.1002 – 15.5.2.1053) that prevents the Windows 10 version 1903 update from installing. I tried installing the driver supplied by Intel. It installed version 17.5.1.1021. The driver files were changed, per Device Manager. But the iaStorA.sys file was not removed from System32/Drivers. I renamed it and clicked the Fix button under Windows Update. The Windows 10 update proceeded. It got to 61% completed and stalled. After more than three hours stalled, I put the computer to sleep and went to bed myself. This morning, still stalled at 61% complete, I restarted Windows. It started with the "Getting Windows Ready, Don't Turn Off Your Computer" screen, which stayed up for 1.5 hours. Just as I was beginning to research ways to recover from this, Windows started.

0 Kudos
davidlpotts
2 Bronze

I keep getting errors. I've tried at least 5 times to post about my experience trying to update. It won't go through.

Bottom line: what JohnD says is correct.

0 Kudos
davidlpotts
2 Bronze

It says, "Correct the highlighted errors and try again."

But nothing is highlighted.

0 Kudos

davidlpotts,

The warranty has expired on your computer. You can wait for a reply from other community members or contact the Dell Out of Warranty Support Team by clicking here

0 Kudos
davidlpotts
2 Bronze

Hi Jesse L.

Yes, I know my computer's warranty has expired. The link you provided is to a page that "failed to load or no longer exists."

My current situation is that I'm stuck at Windows 10 version 1083. Windows Update has not tried to restart an update to Windows 10. Perhaps in a day or so, that will happen automatically. My computer is getting stuck now when starting and restarting. My advice to others in this situation as of now would be to sit tight and see if Dell eventually releases an Intel RST driver for the 9350. If you do try installing the generic Intel release, make sure everything is backed up first!

If I continue having boot problems, I may uninstall the generic Intel driver and go back to the Dell-supported one.

0 Kudos

Re: XPS 13 9350 Windows 10 Update stalled because of out-of-date Intel RST driver - THIS WORKED!

This Intel link/idea provided by Shep914 in his replies to this topic worked!  Thank you Shep914!   I did NOT use the exact link that Shep914 provided since it had UK in it; I am in the US.   So I just did a google search on "Intel Driver & Support Assistant" and immediately this Intel service link was shown in the results.

I installed this Intel tool.  This Intel tool scans your computer and updates any outdated drivers automatically.  When I ran it, it immediately found the old Real Storage driver was out of date.  Long story short - it updated the Real Storage and my Windows update was finally successful.  NO FILE renames or other nightmares. 

Notes: 

1. The Intel tool took around 3 minutes to download, install, and run

2. The windows update took at least 40 minutes.

3. My computer actually runs faster now.  This windows update is nice.

Thanks again to Shep & this community forum.  I unfortunately am not happy that Dell is no longer providing necessary updates for their computers.  This is planned obsolescence through software neglect.  I understand hardware time limits, but refusing to update software drivers is a bit ridiculous. I am extremely disappointed in Dell.  

Thanks