Start a Conversation

Unsolved

August 10th, 2023 23:04

January 26th, 2018 12:00

Sorry copied the same link twice & looks like at least 2 % were inserted by the message board. Didnt see the insert link options & should have used, searching at google on "bios update blocked due to unsupported downgrade" will pull up the message which you have found.

5 Posts

January 26th, 2018 14:00

"A Dell moderator replied to a message, apparently they have so far decided to not reply to any messages in this XPS 13 thread."

Ha!  I'm not surprised! 

1 Message

January 29th, 2018 08:00

I have received an answer from Dell support saying that BIOS 1.6.1 for the XPS 13 9350 has been withdrawn from their site due to possible issues. They recommend to downgrade to BIOS 1.5.1 using the command XPS_9350_1.5.1.exe /forceit (given you have downloaded that BIOS version first).

However, that only results in the same message "BIOS update blocked due to unsupported downgrade".

19 Posts

January 29th, 2018 09:00

That's interesting that Dell support would tell you that, given that is not what they say on their website (here).  I'll paste their recommendation (as of 1/2//18) below, (bold emphasis mine): 

Update 01/22/2018:

Intel has communicated new guidance regarding the "reboot issues" with the microcode included in the BIOS updates released to address Spectre (Variant 2), CVE-2017-5715. Dell is advising that all customers should not deploy the BIOS update for the Spectre (Variant 2) vulnerability at this time. We are removing the impacted BIOS updates from the web and suspending further BIOS updates for affected platforms.

If you have already applied the BIOS update, please wait for further information and an updated BIOS release, no other action is recommended at this point. Please continue to check back for updates.

As a reminder, the Operating System patches are not impacted and still provide mitigations to Spectre (Variant 1) and Meltdown (Variant 3). The microcode update is only required for Spectre (Variant 2), CVE-2017-5715.

1 Message

January 30th, 2018 05:00

Same thing here!

In addition, i've previously purchased an additional 4 years warranty for my xps 13, but apparantly its quite useless because trying to get something spoiled replaced is so difficult. consulted dell technicians multiple times with the other issues im facing with my xps13 and the first thing is always to ask me to run diagnostic, then to reset my pc or perform OSRI, but having no technological skills, i have no idea how to go about doing the OSRI. I attempted following their instructions but it was so unclear that i did not dare to complete the process in case anything go wrong. So i had no choice but to just reset my pc (which the technician said i'll still have to perform OSRI if the issues persists).

After wasting so much time going through so many steps and resetting my pc, i am still facing the issue and finally they tell me they'll be replacing the part for me. However, they still did not give me a solution regarding the bios update blocked. 

I used to think dell was very good at customer service but after these few experiences trying to get solutions for issues im facing with my laptop, i think im starting to lose faith in their service. Totally regretted purchasing the additional 4 years warranty. Its useless. To add on, they only reply me once or twice a day via email, which keeps leaving me hanging when i really need my device to be working. 

4 Operator

• 

9.4K Posts

February 7th, 2018 03:00

If customers have already upgraded their BIOS to this previous Spectre Variant 2 (CVE-2017-5715) fix before it was demoted from Support.Dell.com, then we would recommend to customers that they try the Microsoft Windows patch that is available to disable the Spectre fix before attempting to downgrade the BIOS.

Note: Some systems may not allow a BIOS downgrade. Hence better to apply patch mentioned above. The patch is available at the following Microsoft update:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4078130/update-to-disable-mitigation-against-spectre-varian...

13 Posts

February 7th, 2018 03:00

I see BIOS version 1.6.1 has just re-appeared on the Dell site Drivers & Downloads, dated Feb 6. Presumably this is the same 1.6.1 as the Dec one there previously? Does this mean Dell has established this version is OK after all for some reason (e.g. perhaps due to some subsequent fix in Windows)?

19 Posts

February 7th, 2018 05:00

According to Dell's page on this here, updated 2/5/18:

Patch Guidance
Update 02/05/2018
Dell has received updated Intel microcode for select platforms to mitigate against the Spectre (Variant 2) vulnerability CVE-2017-5715. Dell has started to deploy the new BIOS updates for these platforms listed in the table of Dell Products Affected below. Other BIOS updates for listed affected platforms will roll out over the coming weeks.
All customers with an affected platform should download the latest BIOS update listed below, even if they have deployed an earlier BIOS version for this vulnerability. Those who have disabled the microcode patch using an OS configuration option should re-enable it manually after applying the BIOS updates.
As a reminder, the microcode update is required for Spectre (Variant 2), CVE-2017-5715. The Operating System patches provide mitigations to Spectre (Variant 1) and Meltdown (Variant 3) and are also required.

I have 1.6.1 and have been unable to downgrade any updates.  I'm not a tech guru - I just install what they tell me to - so I'm hoping this means they will pushing out an update that I can just click on to install.  

13 Posts

February 7th, 2018 06:00

@robert p Ok so I've just downloaded & run that Windows patch. My BIOS is on 1.6.1 (downloaded a month or so ago). Should I try to downgrade it to 1.5.1? Last time I tried (a couple of weeks ago) it refused to downgrade.

16 Posts

February 18th, 2018 14:00

This has been a nightmare now for more than 10 days. I followed DELL Update Assist wizard and updated on 8/2/2018

Since then the only way to login into the my XPS 13 9350 i7,512GB nvme is to connect it to the dock as I can only see a black screen on it(on bootup I only see the dell logo and then goes black). 

I disabled the Intel Iris 540 Driver and laptop works fine (but then I cannot connect dock to have external monitor).

It is a mess. I am almost giving up now. Dell in Malta told me that a screen replacement of €770 will fix it.  But I see that the screen works when I disable the Intel Iris 540 driver.

Current bios is 1.6.1. I cannot manage to downgrade the bios.  If I boot up laptop with Ubuntu bootable usb it still loads a black screen after the grub loads. I'm comfused.

I wish Dell themselves give us some input on this. There are too many people with this issue.

1 Message

February 18th, 2018 15:00

I've had this problem for a month now, I'm still in version 1.6.1. The suggested solution of disabling the Spectre fix by revoking a Microsoft update isn't working for me. This is the executable provided by microsoft:

Update for Windows (KB4078130) Windows 10,Windows 10 LTSB,Windows 7,Windows 8.1,Windows Embedded Standard 7,Windows Server 2008,Windows Server 2008 R2,Windows Server 2012 R2,Windows Server 2016 Critical Updates 27/01/2018 n/d 24 KB

When executing it, it does nothing. The BIOS update is still showing on SupportAssist but without any easy fix provided.

16 Posts

February 19th, 2018 03:00

So you have not managed to resolve it right?

19 Posts

February 20th, 2018 07:00

@USC_Brian  I have also downloaded, and installed, the 1.6.1 BIOS from Dell's support page for my XPS 13 (9350).   I already had 1.6.1 installed but my BIOS update date (according to msinfo32) was 12/14/17) and the newly downloaded 1.6.1 BIOS was 2/6/18.   

After running the install, my BIOS still says 1.6.1 updated 12/14/17 - so I guess it did nothing either.

I'm lucky because my laptop works fine.  I'm more afraid now of messing it up with a faulty fix than the Spectre exploit.  

March 8th, 2018 05:00

Enter BIOS recovery. Start with laptop off. Hold CTRL and ESC keys and continue to hold both while you plug AC adapter in. When recovery screen appears, chose the rollback option, for me it was the bottom choice. Takes several minutes to complete but it should put you back to the previous BIOS version before the bad update.

4 Posts

March 8th, 2018 06:00

I have done nothing to mine to try to resolve the problems I had after upgrading to 1.6.1 as after an initial refusal to load after restarts it began working OK. It still is working (touch wood) so I don't want to mess with it unless I really have to. I am not a techy so find it difficult to follow all the advice about applying windows patches and BIOS downgrades etc. And besides different things seem to work (or not) for some and not others. So I am proposing to do nothing whilst it works... That seems to be different to what is being advised (downloading a Feb 18 version), but I would rather stick with a working laptop than risk making it unstable again (and I don't really understand what vulnerabilities I'm exposed to from version 1.6.1 - Dec version).

No Events found!