Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 12th, 2018 18:00

XPS 13-9360, immediately restarts after shut down

This started happening a few days ago. My machine is just over a year old. Already tried the different solutions being offered in other posts but have had no luck so far so I'm posting this again in the hopes someone might have something else I can try. BIOS was just updated prior to this post (2.9). Any help would be appreciated because its very frustrating not being able to shut down my machine properly.

2 Posts

February 12th, 2019 00:00

After facing the same problem on my XPS 13 9360 for about 2 months now, today i decided to try something. I opened it up, disconnected the battery cable and the CMOS battery from the motherboard, held the power button for 30 seconds while the laptop was off with the charger disconnected and powered it back on afterwards. 

It went through a series of tests after I powered it back on. During the tests, nothing appears on the screen but the battery indicator light flashes amber 3 times and white once a couple of times before it powers off. I powered it on again and it gave an error about incorrect BIOS configuration, mainly the time was off.

After I set the time and restarted it, everything is fine now. My laptop remains off after I shut it down.

Just decided to share in case it is helpful to anyone as none of the other solutions i found online worked.

1 Message

April 12th, 2019 12:00

Thank you, chygoz2!

This process helped me too.
Here is what you need:
1) forcibly turn off the laptop
2) disconnect the power supply
3) remove the back cover
4) disconnect the CMOS battery connector
5) disconnect the laptop accumulator connector
6) wait a couple of minutes (I also disconnected my hard drive)
7) assemble everything back, turn on the laptop, pass all the tests, configure bios settings
8) profit!

WBR, djvnsk

380 Posts

November 12th, 2018 21:00

Go into the BIOS and check if "Wake on WLAN" is enabled in the Power Management section. If yes, disable it. I had a similar problem with a different computer and although I had turned that off in the the adapter settings, it still was restarting on me.

JohnD

November 12th, 2018 22:00

Can't even find the setting within BIOS. Have also disabled and options. Any other ideas I can try? :(

• 

17K Posts

November 13th, 2018 06:00

Brokenoldfart,

Start the computer and tap the F2 key to enter the bios. Once in the bios navigate to the System Configuration section and then down to SATA Operation. Set the SATA-controller to "AHCI" instead of "Off" press the F10 key to save changes and exit. Test to see if computer restarts.

November 13th, 2018 18:00

I'm afraid this didn't work either. When I rebooted, my machine just kept starting the Automatic Repair process and wouldn't let me boot into Windows at all.

Have reverted back to old settings.

Also, a strange thing. Yesterday evening, I tried signing out of Windows ( + key, select sign out), then at the lock-screen, I selected shutdown and it worked. Unfortunately, I couldn't replicate it this morning and my machine has gone back to restarting everytime I shut down.

Any other suggestions?

• 

17K Posts

November 14th, 2018 04:00

Brokeoldfart,

Go to Settings

Select Power & Sleep

Select Additional power settings on the right

Select choose what closing the lid does

Select change settings that are currently unavailable

On shutdown settings, Un-Select Turn on fast startup (recommended)

November 14th, 2018 17:00

I chose when action , didnt work. My machine was obviously just sleeping cos the lock screen came on immediately after I lifted the lid.

Also de-selected , didn't do anything.

Any other suggestions please?

June 22nd, 2020 19:00

THANK YOU. This seemed to work and I've been frustrated for months on this issue.

1 Message

November 22nd, 2020 01:00

I had a similar issue afer recent updates on Windows 10 2004 (cumulativ updates) and updating to current BIOS version 1.13. Inmy case Dell XPS 13 9350.

However, I managed to get it solved without disconnecting batteries as described. I tried to apply the BIOS recommendations, those didn't work unfortunately.

I tried to reset BIOS to "last known good state" - this didn't help.

I then tried to reset to BIOS "factory settings". This made a change that on the next boot I noticed in the task area of windows Dell Update told me it did complete. I had tried to run Dell Update and Support Assist. Dell Update previously was stuck at 40% and never completed.

So now next shutdown - again reboot.

So I prepared tools and checked where I would find the batteries on Youtube. Still AC plugged in and ready to start the procedure. I did a hard power off... to my surprise, the system didn't come back on again! (and yes I tried a hard power off before).

So now several attempts to shut down it looks like our XPS 13 remains powered off. Will update in case this changes and I would need to come back. Not sure what exactly helped. But believe the BIOS reset might have done the trick with a hard power off afterwards.

Those hints here definitely helpful, so thanks @chygoz2 @djvnsk @DELL-Jesse L and all others for having shared!

As I managed to get it done WITHOUT opening the XPS 13 9350 thought I share what I did for anybody else facing the same symptoms.

1 Message

January 21st, 2022 05:00

Disabling "USB Wake Support" under BIOS Power Management just worked for me with this issue.

No Events found!