Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 2nd, 2022 11:00

XPS 13 9370, BIOS 1.19.0 charging woes

I've noticed that the charging behavior on this laptop has changed. Previously when operated on A/C it would charge to the specified level (*) and then continue to operate from A/C, neither charging nor discharging the battery.  Now it cycles between charge/discharge as often as every second or two, even when just sitting and there is no activity. This seems wrong and I am concerned that it will have an adverse effect on battery longevity.

Is there some place to open an issue regarding this?

(*) I frequently operate on A/C so I set the charging level in the bios or using the Linux utility /opt/dell/dcc/cctk to 50-65%. After more than three years battery health is reported at 95% where it was when the battery was new.

33 Posts

June 4th, 2022 18:00

Thanks all for the suggestions. I ran through a calibration cycle (complete discharge followed by full charge) and charging behavior is normal again. The issue seems to be transitory.

33 Posts

June 2nd, 2022 12:00

Hi Mary G,

Thanks for the link. The very first line:

> The Dell battery is a consumable device and its life depletes on every charge cycle.

This is exactly why I was concerned about the cycling.

Hi ejn63,

Thanks for the suggestions. I have tried all three USB-C ports with the same behavior. I also made sure that the USB-C cable was fully inserted and set the laptop on a stable surface to make sure that movement was not causing this.

I will try a different charger and cable.

(Note could not post separately because "a verification error has occurred")

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

Batteries last only about 2 years or so nowadays, so buy a replacement from Dell. 

FAQ - Laptop battery articles - Dell Community

10 Elder

• 

23.1K Posts

Is the USB-C connector firmly plugged into the system?  If it (or the jack) is loose, you can see an oscillation between charge/discharge.

Try the other Thunderbolt port as well -- if it shows the same problem, the issue is likely with the adapter and you'll need to try a new one.

33 Posts

June 2nd, 2022 13:00

BTW, I wanted to express my gratitude that Dell provides a Linux utility (Command-configure) that allows me to control this from the Linux CLI. Thank you!

No Events found!