Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 28th, 2018 06:00

XPS 13 9370 Killer WiFi issues

New XPS 13 9370 with the same issues reported widely with previous versions of the XPS 13 with Killer WiFi card namely very slow internet speeds at times and regular cut-outs.

I've done all the recommended actions such as removing & reinstalling the latest KIller WiFi suite/drivers, ensuring Windows is up to date and updating to latest BIOS but the issues still persist.

No other wireless devices connected to my router (BT Hub 5) have any problems & I have a wired speed of up to 75Mbps, wireless speeds on other devices are generally between 50 - 70 Mbps. The XPS when it chooses to work correctly will achieve similar speeds but often, as per the last two days, struggles to get above 5 - 15 Mbps and cuts out completely at times too.

Killer's site provides little help, blaming problems on your router! The only real ie successful solution I've read about is replacing the Killer card with an Intel one so why on earth to Dell persist in using the Killer Wifi card which is clearly not fit for purpose?

I'm currently awaiting a replacement unit from Dell who hope this will fix the WiFi issue, I rather doubt it but hope to be proven wrong.

Apart from the WiFi issue i really like my XPS13 but ultimately may have to return it for a refund; after all what's the point of a flagship ultra-portable laptop that cannot connect reliably to the internet?

Dell should be offering customers with the faulty Killer Wifi cards the option of sending the unit in to have an Intel card fitted instead.

16 Posts

April 5th, 2018 17:00

I am having the same types of problems - loss of wireless connection on wake-up (usually) or occasionally during use, at random.  Dell service people reinstalled the driver - twice, which made no difference (the current version is 12.0.0.468).  Now they are suggesting that I should do a "PC refresh" on the operating system, which will essentially wipe out everything on the computer except my files - not a tempting prospect. Have any of you been foolish enough to try this, and if so has it worked for you?  They are also 'sort of' offering to replace the wireless card, which sounds more sensible. Has anyone with similar problems had success with that approach yet?

1 Message

May 10th, 2018 10:00

I've exactly same issue and went through troubleshooting with Dell Support with no resolution. They offered to replace the machine but might take 10 days and I can't really be without a primary system for 10 days :)

So this is going back to the store. I really loved the machine but Wireless card killed the deal!

16 Posts

May 11th, 2018 07:00

Killer is working on a new driver fix.  Supposed to be out in June.

1 Message

June 4th, 2018 08:00

@dsmith4477 wrote:

I am having the same types of problems - loss of wireless connection on wake-up (usually)...

I've been having this problem as well. Though it isn't a permanent solution, one way to make this issue a little less inconvenient is to create a shortcut to automatically disable and re-enable the wifi connection (which always fixes the issue in my case). I created a shortcut on my desktop with the command below.

"C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\powershell.exe restart-netadapter -name 'Wi-Fi' -Confirm:$false"

I also set the properties for the shortcut to run as administrator (Properties - Advanced - Run as Administrator). Now whenever I wake the system and it doesn't reconnect to wifi, I just double-click this icon and it gets reconnected in a moment.

1 Rookie

• 

490 Posts

June 4th, 2018 09:00

"Now they are suggesting that I should do a "PC refresh" on the operating system, which will essentially wipe out everything on the computer except my files - not a tempting prospect. Have any of you been foolish enough to try this, and if so has it worked for you?"

Sometimes it is good to know if the problem is in your particular perhaps corrupted OS setup or maybe in the hardware. Reinstalling Windows is a good way to find out. If you'd like to know but don't want to have to reinstall everything just to find out it didn't help, you can consider taking your disk out and temporarily replacing it with another one.

1 Message

June 5th, 2018 08:00

Hi,

I have bought the Dell XPS 13 9370 CNX37003 last month and have the same issues with the Killer wifi adaper.

Very annoying and not what you expect of a premium laptop.

I hope that the fix from Killer in June will solve this. otherwise i expect dell to come with a solution!

5 Posts

June 16th, 2018 01:00

The new BIOS version 1.4.0 has fixes for Killer WiFi instability. Only installed today so can't report if this new version works.

1 Message

June 19th, 2018 17:00

Where were you able to find information on the fixes in the BIOS changes in 1.4.0 ?

I just went through a 3 week ordeal where I sent my machine in to get a new board with an intel card, after support claimed they would change it. After getting it back with another Killer 1435 card, they now claim they will not replace my system board with one with an intel card, or replace the serviced unit. I wouldn't have sent the machine in at all. Unbelievable.

July 30th, 2018 01:00

This has made a big difference for me too. Wifi stability seems to have been improved with the recent BIOS and driver updates but I am still noticing very slow speeds when connected to the internet to the extent where I am seeing download speeds at roughly half of what they should be when compared to other devices connected to the router.

I am coincidentally also connected to a BTHomehub and have found by default my XPS is using a 5GHz channel so after trying everything else recommended in this thread, I would try flipping the adapter setting to force it to use a 2.4GHz channel. As soon as I did this and repeated a speed check, straightaway performance doubled to levels I would expect to see so if anyone is seeing slow internet speeds, give this a try.

1 Message

August 1st, 2018 07:00

I am still experiencing wifi drops after updating the bios to 1.4.0 and updating to the latest killer wifi drivers 1.7.1034.  Is this a wide spread issue?  I am still within the return/exchange period and wonder if I should swap out my unit. 

1 Message

August 31st, 2018 12:00

The above worked for me as well. Thanks!

1 Message

September 9th, 2018 13:00

This worked for me. I was having issues not being able to connect to Vpn. Thank you. Very clear.  

1 Message

September 21st, 2018 06:00

It didn't work for me.

I installed the newest drivers\bios versions. 

Still having disconnections every 30 minutes or so.

1 Rookie

• 

6 Posts

September 28th, 2018 00:00

Can someone from Dell please advise on this ongoing unresolved issue?  You have released multiple BIOS and Killer Driver versions across 2018, but the underlying issue is NOT fixed completely.

Here's what I find, and it's hard to believe this is a hardware fault.

The Killer wifi interface refuses to create new connections after a period of time. Let's say I'm in a Citrix connection or on a Skype call, these work fine on an ongoing basis.  But then after 15-30 minutes or so:  going to a new browser and trying to browse anywhere ,or perform a nslookup or ping gateway from the command line, and nothing works.  New connections are being blocked by something.   Turning Wifi off then on again (within the Win10 taskbar icon) resolves the issue ,and new connections can be made.

Unsure what protocol level this is happening on.   @Anonymous please look into this further. thanks

1 Message

September 30th, 2018 12:00

I bought a XPS 13 9370 on Sep 21 and had the same problem on low wifi performance. The wifi speed of XPS 13 is 90% lower than other laptops use same router in my house. I use speedtest dot net to test my download speed with Chrome browser. 

Unfortunately, I tried all the thing you stated but it did not pan out. I updated the latest BIOS, Killer driver, etc. The issue was still there.

P/s: Issue fixed

Finally, I realized that one of my extension on Chrome is changing my IP. After turning it off, the speed was on point. 

No Events found!