Start a Conversation

Unsolved

R

37 Posts

January 22nd, 2019 16:00

XPS 13 9380 dead on arrival

Just got my new XPS 13 9380 delivered today.  It has so many issues. First, it would not boot to windows with just the Dell logo on the screen for 30 minutes. During this time, I noticed the Caps Lock light was blinking non-stop. I called tech support who tried to have me do an OS Recovery, but that failed almost immediately with an error stating "This process is not supported on your system."  In addition, the video fan (is there one?) says it is not responding during the hardware test. Despite all of this, they want me to mail this broken machine in for repair which was estimated at two weeks instead of just replacing it with a new system that actually works.

I guess I'll just keep using my old XPS 13 9360. 

147 Posts

January 22nd, 2019 19:00

I'd return it and have Dell send a new one. It looks like yours was defective and it's worth another shot at getting one that works.

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

January 22nd, 2019 20:00

Typically if you have issues within the return period, Dell gives you the option for either having the system fixed (which might be desirable for people who have a warranty contract that includes on-site service) or exchanging it for a brand new unit, since obviously during that period the customer could simply return the system and order another one.  If you're not being given that option, I'd recommend escalating your case, or else simply returning the unit and ordering a new one.

37 Posts

January 23rd, 2019 11:00

It took 9 phone calls, about 20 different reps, and some yelling, but Dell FINALLY agreed to replace the broken computer instead of sending it in for a 2-3 week repair.  Only issue now is the ETA for the new replacement is 21 days. Ugh.

4 Operator

• 

3.4K Posts

January 23rd, 2019 12:00

Thank you for your message. I apologize for the inconvenience surrounding your new order.

If the system had issues out of the box you are eligible for a replacement. I am sorry that you had to spend your valuable time trying to call different teams.

I will be glad to look into this for you & check the replacement status & keep you posted.

For my reference, please click on the message tab next to your avatar– click “New Message” & search for my Dell username (Sreejith R) & send a private message with the service tag, registered name & email address.

How to locate the service tag

37 Posts

January 25th, 2019 10:00

I will be sending you a PM, but just so everyone knows how terrible Dell customer care is, the ETA for the replacement computer was supposed to be this coming Monday before I left on a trip. They assured me it would be delivered by then.

But...now the  ETA as of today is that it won't be delivered until mid February.  If it is not also broken upon delivery, that would be 1.5 months to get a functional laptop.  I called customer care to find out why the ETA was pushed back so far, and I was told nobody expedited the replacement order. Shouldn't that be automatic when a computer is delivered dead on arrival?

It took 5 calls to even get someone able to look up the replacement order. Customer care said they could not and sent me to tech support who sent me back to customer care who sent me to tech support who sent me to "escalations". 

No Events found!