Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 15th, 2019 16:00

XPS 13 9380, sleep mode, draining battery, heating up

I've got a month old XPS 13 9380 to replace an old XPS 13 9360. When I put the XPS 13 9380 to sleep, the battery drains aggressively and the laptop overheats. This also happened on my XPS 13 9360. I've seen post after post about this, but there's little consensus on a solution. So people say it's a problem with Connected Standby. My XPS 13 9380 is set to hibernate after 30 minutes, but it most certainly does not. I've heard disabling Connected Standby might work, but is there just a simple way to get this to go into a normal sleep mode? And if not, what should I do when I'm about to go to bed and I don't want my battery charge to plummet to the depths of Dante's Inferno? Do I close the lid, or do I have to shut it totally down?

1 Message

November 15th, 2019 09:00

I had the same problem with battery drain when the computer is switched off but I finally managed to solve the issue. Direct your cursor on the battery icon (botton right), right click and choose power options. Under power options select "choose what the power buttons do" you will see that the current setting of "when I press the power button" is currently selected to sleep both on battery and when plugged in. Select shut down that will solve your overnight battery drain.

2 Posts

October 16th, 2019 13:00

Hi,

Not sure if you're still having issues with this but I was having the same problems with my 9380. I spoke with two Dell representatives who remotely logged in and 'fixed' the solution, both by just playing around with power and battery settings and assuring me the issue was resolved. Unsurprisingly, it did not sort anything. 

I was losing 50-60% of battery after closing the lid and found the fans blasting at times when I took out of my backpack so the issue sounds similar. I looked at Connected Standby and use the Registry Editor to disable the setting, which did work, but I wanted to see what was causing the issue at its root, so I changed it back to the original setting, enabling it.

I found that running the Command Prompt as an administrator and then used the powercfg command with /waketimers to see if anything was set to wake my laptop up, which there wasn't. 

I then tried /batteryreport to see what was going on, which showed the loss of battery, but it was the /sleepstudy command that really helped. This showed what processes were staying active after i closed the lid and put it to 'sleep'. I found, in my case, that the bluetooth was staying active and connecting or trying to connect to my phone, so I unpaired them. I also found that a USB Host controller was responsible for a large amount of battery drain and on closer inspection, it was the fingerprint reader that was staying awake(?) and draining the battery.

I went to Dell's website and downloaded the driver on there and updated it and it has solved the problem. I came back this morning to find a 3% drop over about 8 hours. Oddly, the fingerprint driver did not need updating and the version on Dell's website was no different to the one installed but I went ahead anyway to see if it made any difference.

YMMV with this and I'll attach some images from my /sleepstudy report so you can see what was causing the issues. I came across this while trying to find a solution so hopefully it helps shed some light on yours.Processes causing drainProcesses causing drainOvernight battery drainOvernight battery drain

October 17th, 2019 07:00

Do you have the link to that driver? so I can try to replicate your results.

2 Posts

October 24th, 2019 17:00

Sorry - I didn't get a notification of your reply. 

This was the driver I used. Hope it works for you!

No Events found!