Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 1st, 2021 15:00

XPS 13, Dual Monitors & Docking Station

Hello,

I want to replace a 7-year old Lenovo laptop that has a docking station and two 23" monitors with new devices for my husband and me.  I'm looking at the XPS 13 laptop, 27" monitors and a Thunderbolt docking station.  But there are so many choices that I'm having difficulties in deciding what to order.  

Most of the time he plans on having the new laptop connected to the docking station & dual monitors for use in a home office.  Occasionally, we will take the laptop with us when we travel. 

I have narrowed down the choices of the laptop to a XPS 13 with 16 GB memory & 512GB SSD.  Is a XPS laptop with a touch screen useful?  We have never used a laptop with a touch screen.  What's the difference between the 9305 vs. the 9310? What's the difference between 10th Generation vs. 11th Generation Intel Core in the XPS 13?

I currently have 2 Dell U2717D Ultrasharp monitors connected to a Dell XPS 8940.  We love these monitors and so I want to order 2 of them to connect to the XPS 13 laptop.  What is the difference between the U2719D and the U2722D besides price?  What's a USB-C Hub monitor?

My research indicates that I should purchase a Thunderbolt docking station.  So I'm looking at the Dell WD19TBS, the Kensington SD2400T, the Kensington SD 5550T and the Kensington SD5700T.  But I don't know which one to order. 

Thanks for your assistance.

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

May 10th, 2021 22:00

@Cosmos Mom  Happy to help!  In terms of the dock, the WD19TB has been replaced by the WD19TBS.  The sole difference is that the latter drops the 3.5 mm audio output jack.  Evidently the global semiconductor shortage prevented affected those jacks or the audio chipset that runs them, which was preventing Dell from making docks and therefore causing a backlog to pile up.  So Dell made "S" variants of their WD19 dock family models that simply didn't include those jacks.  If you need that jack, one workaround would be a USB audio adapter, like this one, which you could plug into one of the dock's USB ports.  Another dock you might want to consider especially if you'll be using a Mac is a CalDigit dock.  They tend to be more Mac-focused but still work well with Windows PCs, whereas Dell docks seem to have a few more quirks when dealing with Apple systems.  A friend of mine uses the CalDigit TS3+ with his older XPS 13 9350 and it works fine, although CalDigit has introduced a few newer docks since then.  But if you do go with the WD19TB, take a look at this article about Mac compatibility.

July 5th, 2021 21:00

Hello,

Thank you for your assistance in pointing me in the right direction.  I finally ordered a XPS 13 9310 laptop and two Ultrasharp U2722D monitors in June when I got a 15% discount coupon from Dell in snail mail.  Based on your recommendation, I ordered a CalDigit TS3+ Thunderbolt docking station during Prime Day in June and got $30 off the list price.  We connected the two Ultrasharp monitors together with the DisplayPort cables and the other DisplayPort cable into the docking station and then hooked up the XPS 13 to the docking station using the Thunderbolt cable.  The footprint of the CalDigit TS3+ is really small compared to the previous 8 year old docking station we had!  

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

May 1st, 2021 19:00

@Cosmos Mom  Quick add-on to my post above.  Here is a short article about the XPS 13 9305 from Notebookcheck, a site that is well known for solid notebook coverage.  Their reviews in particular are some of the most in-depth you'll find anywhere, although that article about the 9305 is not a review.  But it does explain how the 9305 came about and call out one other difference compared to the 9310, namely the fact that the 9305 uses 16:9 displays whereas the 9310 uses taller 16:10 displays, which offer more workspace and a reduction in bezel area.  But again, the 9305 offers two TB4 ports plus a USB-C port, whereas the more expensive and ostensibly more upmarket 9310 only offers two TB4 ports.  Not sure what's going on there.

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

May 1st, 2021 19:00

@Cosmos Mom  Quite a lot of ground to cover here.

I haven't looked in detail at the differences between the XPS 13 9310 and 9305, but right off the bat the 9305 seems to have more ports to connect devices.  You can compare them by looking at the Ports & Slots sections of the product pages for each one.  The 9305 also doesn't seem to offer a 4K resolution display, although that may or may not be something that interests you.  Some people like 4K displays because the high resolution does make for a very sharp image (assuming the applications you use handle scaling properly), but it imposes a non-trivial battery life penalty.  Also the subject of displays, I personally don't see the point of touchscreens on laptops that are not convertible 2-in-1s that can be flipped around to operate as tablets and such.  Using a touchscreen on a traditional laptop for any meaningful period of time requires suspending your arm in the air, which gets fatiguing rather quickly.  I ordered an XPS 15 9530 back in 2013 with a touchscreen for futureproofing, and when I replaced it in 2019, I went back to non-touch.  Additionally, touchscreen displays have the entire display assembly covered by a single pane of glass with a glossy finish, whereas non-touch displays typically don't have that edge-to-edge glass and also use an anti-glare/matte coating.  Some people prefer the look of a glossy display both for the glass and the way colors appear, while others avoid them because they can exhibit a mirror effect that anti-glare displays are specifically meant to avoid.

The difference between Core 10th Gen vs. Core 11th Gen chips in the product line used by the XPS 13 isn't quite as significant as it will be for the product line used by systems like the XPS 15.  (Essentially, Intel used two completely different architectures for different product lines within Core 10th Gen and used that name for all of them, which created some confusion.)  However, Core 11th Gen does have a faster graphics processor that is also capable of running four total displays rather than three if you think that might ever matter to you.  But both the 9305 and 9310 use Core 11th Gen CPUs.

In terms of a docking station, if you haven't bought displays yet you can probably skip that, and the reason has to do with the answer to your question of what a USB-C hub display is.  That is a display that has a USB-C input that is capable of receiving video, providing power, and providing USB data connectivity.  So essentially a USB-C hub display is a docking station built into the display itself.  And since some displays also support daisy chaining, which is the ability to connect one display to another and have the system see both displays independently, if you get a USB-C hub display that supports daisy chaining, you can run two displays from your system while still having only a single cable connection to your system, relying on the docking station functionality built into Display #1.  Since you're planning to run dual 2560x1440 displays, though, the bandwidth required for that setup means that if you also want USB 3.x data speeds rather than just USB 2.0, you'll need displays that support the newer DisplayPort 1.4/HBR3 standard over USB-C.  And that's where the newer displays come into play.  If you were to get a single U2722DE, which is a USB-C hub display, and then a U2722D, which is essentially the same display without the built-in docking station functionality, you could skip the docking station entirely.  The U2722DE provides USB ports, Ethernet, a 3.5 mm audio output jack if you have speakers that require it, and more than enough power to run an XPS 13 properly.  You'd just use a DisplayPort cable to connect the DisplayPort output of that display to the DisplayPort input of the U2722D in order to get video over to that second display, and you could even also connect a USB cable between those displays to use the USB ports on the U2722D as well if the ports offered on the U2722DE weren't quite enough for your purposes.

But if you do want a docking station, you would NOT necessarily need a Thunderbolt docking station to run dual 2560x1440 displays.  With either of the XPS 13 systems you're considering, you could get by with a regular USB-C docking station as long as it supported DisplayPort 1.4/HBR3 over USB-C.  However, many USB-C docks (and systems for that matter) still only support the older DisplayPort 1.2/HBR2.  With one of those docks, regular USB-C would not cut it for your intended display setup.  But as it happens, Dell's WD19S (not the WD19TBS) is a regular USB-C dock that supports HBR3, and therefore when paired with a system that also does -- like the XPS 13s you're looking at -- it could run dual 2560x1440.  A Thunderbolt docking station at that point would only be needed if you wanted to be able to run dual 4K.  I haven't looked into any of those Kensington docks you're looking at, so I couldn't comment on them.  I'm mostly familiar with docks from Dell, Lenovo, and CalDigit.  But as I mentioned above, if you choose the right displays, you can probably avoid a dock completely, and therefore even a more expensive display might result in a less expensive solution overall.

May 10th, 2021 21:00

Thank you for the detailed information.  I have narrowed my choices to:

1.  XPS 13 without the touch screen and most likely will order the 9305 instead of the 9310;

2.  Most likely will order 2 Ultrasharp monitors;

3.  Most likely will order a Thunderbolt docking station instead of a U2722DE Hub monitor in the event that I need to hook up a Mac laptop to the monitors.  In one of your other posts (XPS 13-9380 Dual Display) you suggested the Dell WD19TB.  I noticed that this model is not available on the Dell website at this time.  Do you have any suggestions? 

1 Message

July 4th, 2021 13:00

Hello - 

This post has been very helpful!  I just purchased a Dell XPS 13 9310 and I'm looking for dual QHD (or 4k) monitors and a docking station.  If I understand correctly, I can run a single USB-C to USB-C cable from my 9310 to the U2722DE and a DisplayPort cable from the U2722DE output to the U2722D.  This will allow a dual monitor extended display setup, both at 2560x1440 @ 60Hz.  The laptop will be charged through the USB-C cable and I can use the U2722DE as a Docking Station (USB ports, Ethernet, etc).  Is the speed of the USB 3.2 reduced in this setup?

Thank You.

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

July 4th, 2021 16:00

@Miked45  Glad you’ve found this helpful! With those displays and that system, yes you would be able to run the setup you’ve described. Both displays would run at 1440p 60 Hz, and you would also be running USB 3.x Gen 2 (10 Gbps) alongside it, since the XPS 13 9310 and the Dell U2722 displays support DisplayPort HBR3, which offers enough bandwidth to run that display setup and USB 3.x simultaneously. And yes, you’ll also have charging, Ethernet, etc.

And what it’s worth, I greatly prefer QHD over 4K on 27” displays. A 27” 4K display results in a pixel density that isn’t high enough to give you a true “Retina display” experience, but IS high enough that you need to enable display scaling, which some Windows applications still don’t handle well. In fairness, with an XPS 13 you’d have to enable display scaling for the built-in display anyway, regardless of whether you have the 1080p or 4K display, so if all of your applications work as expected there, then they’d perform similarly on a 27” 4K display. But I tend to avoid display setups that require scaling on Windows systems meant for productivity use cases. And for what it’s worth, you would NOT be able run a daisy chain of dual 4K 60 Hz and USB 3.x over USB-C. At least in theory, you could run dual 4K 60 Hz and USB 2.0 over USB-C with displays that supported DisplayPort HBR3, but I haven’t looked into which 4K 60 Hz displays might allow that.

One additional item I’ll note is that I would recommend that you NOT use the built-in display and the external displays simultaneously. The reason is that you probably won’t be able to use a single scale factor across your built-in displays and your external displays comfortably — with the possible exception of a setup involving an XPS 13 with a 1080p display and a pair of 27” QHD displays, in which case 125% may work for you across both. While Windows does support running different scale factors on different displays simultaneously, it doesn’t do so very well. Essentially what happens is that when you log onto Windows, it checks the scale factor of whichever display is primary at that time, and it renders its graphics at that scale factor internally. For any other scale factors that come into play over the course of your user session, Windows will continue rendering at that initial scale factor and use GPU scaling to scale the post-render output up or down as needed to make it fit the target display’s scale factor. As you might imagine, this does not look as good as rendering for the target display’s actual scale factor in the first place, but Windows cannot render at multiple scale factors internally at the same time. And the consequences of this post-render scaling are especially noticeable on elements such as text. The result is that any displays NOT using the “internal” scale factor will not look as good as they otherwise could. Additionally, if you use very different scale factors on your built-in display compared to your external displays, you may wish to log off and back onto Windows when switching between those displays to make sure everything always looks best. Yes, that can be annoying especially for people who might come and go from their external displays multiple times over the course of a day, but that’s the current state of Windows. You can either put up with that inconvenience to keep your displays always looking good, or skip the logoff/logon dance and accept that whichever display environment was NOT in use at the time you first logged on won’t be as good as it could be.

2 Intern

• 

148 Posts

July 4th, 2021 21:00

There is one huge difference between the 9305 and the 9310 that nobody has mentioned. On the 9305, the camera is under the screen, so viewers will have a lovely view of your nostrils.

I'd certainly look at the 9310 even if it doesn't have lots of ports. You can always buy a little adapter that'll add a couple of USB-A ports - unless you never intend to use the camera - or are OK with putting the laptop on a pile of books so people won't count your nose hairs.

I'm running an older XPS 9360 (no, Dell's numbering makes no sense - how can a higher model number be an older model - unless you look at the 9305, which is older than the 9310...) with WD19TBS and two 27 inch monitors - works like a charm.

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

July 4th, 2021 22:00

@ECharles  Regarding Dell’s numbering, the “9” is the series, the XPS line being above the Inspiron 3000, 5000, and 7000 Series models. “3” relates to the display size, i.e. 13 inches. The third digit is the generation, but Dell rolled over on several of their models recently, which is why the 9310 is newer than the 9360. The same happened in the Latitude lineup, where for example there was a 7490 that was followed by a 7400.

The 9305 was introduced as a budget option that combined internals of the 9310 with a chassis based heavily on the version last used on the 9360, rather than the newer style used on the 9370 onward — except they changed the port selection a bit too. I’ve never seen Dell do this before, which might account for the odd model number. It’s just not an offering that Dell has ever had to account for in their model numbering before. But the XPS 13 is a very popular laptop in Dell’s lineup, so evidently there was a market for a cheaper chassis with new internals. I suppose it’s a bit like the iPhone SE in that regard.

July 5th, 2021 21:00

We also set up the 2 monitors with extended display and both are at 2560x1440.  We also have a wireless Dell keyboard and mouse.  My husband opens the XPS laptop and uses facial recognition to turn on the XPS 13 and then closes the laptop and slides it under the 2 monitors.  The XPS 13, the dual 27" monitors and the small CalDigit docking station is a great solution for our home office.  

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

July 6th, 2021 09:00

@Cosmos Mom  Fantastic, but if you were buying that system and those displays, you could have bought a U2722DE and a U2722D. The former is the same display as the U2722D except it has a USB-C port and Ethernet, so you could have plugged the XPS 13 9310 into that and been able to receive power, run your dual display daisy chain, and have access to the USB 3.x ports and Ethernet built into the display all over that cable. The U2722DE is basically a display with a built-in dock. If the cost margin of the DE over the D is smaller than the cost of that CalDigit dock you bought, you might want to return the dock and one of the U2722D displays and buy a U2722DE.

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

July 6th, 2021 09:00

@Cosmos Mom  Never mind, I forgot you said that you also needed to use a Mac. In that case, that Thunderbolt dock will be necessary to run two external displays, since the Mac couldn’t run a daisy chain. Also note that Mac laptops based on the new Apple M1 CPU can only run a single external display.

2 Intern

• 

148 Posts

July 12th, 2021 17:00

Thank you. I knew there had to be a reason for that, but it would also be nice if the numbers related to the processor generation rather than some unknown Dell generation (Lenovo does this too - their 9th gen Carbon X1 uses the 11th gen processor) as the 9360 uses the 7th gen processor, but at least now I can figure them out.

Now to figure out the differences between the Latitude 5/7/9 that can all seemingly be configured the same.

I've given up on the XPS line as I've had a multitude of touchpad issues that Dell doesn't seem able to fix.

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

July 12th, 2021 21:00

@ECharles  Well Intel's introduction of the first generation of a CPU won't necessarily correspond to a system manufacturer's introduction of the first generation of a system model, so I don't really see that sort of alignment being feasible.  There are quite a few differences between Latitude systems.  Typically around thickness, weight, available CPU, GPU, and storage options, sometimes WiFi options (802.11ac vs. ax), port selection and capabilities (e.g. HDMI 2.0 vs. 1.4, or support for charging and/or video output over USB-C rather than just a data-only USB-C port, or support for Thunderbolt being unavailable, optional, or standard).  If the differences aren't clear by looking at the configurator, I'd suggest going to the Dell Support site and reviewing the Setup and Specifications document for the systems you're interested in.

1 Message

May 19th, 2022 16:00

Hey ! Thanks for your post and this in particular :

"With those displays and that system, yes you would be able to run the setup you’ve described. Both displays would run at 1440p 60 Hz, and you would also be running USB 3.x Gen 2 (10 Gbps) alongside it, since the XPS 13 9310 and the Dell U2722 displays support DisplayPort HBR3, which offers enough bandwidth to run that display setup and USB 3.x simultaneously. And yes, you’ll also have charging, Ethernet, etc.."

I bought recently an XPS 13 9305 i7-1165G7 and I'd like to buy two U2722DE. So my setup is different than @Miked45 's one but do you think that I can use your recommendations as well ? 

Bests

No Events found!