Start a Conversation

Unsolved

I

6 Posts

September 29th, 2022 11:00

XPS 13 Plus ubuntu 22.04 does not support deep sleep

Under the balanced energy scheme, the laptop is draining battery at a rate of about 1% per minute or two. If I change this to power saving, it takes a bit more. Still, even with minimal usage, the battery does not last for more than 2 hours.

Even during sleep, the laptop is draining battery. After examining the /sys/power/mem_sleep I get only the [s2sleep] option. I cannot find how to activate deep sleep. I tried adding the `mem_sleep_default=deep` boot option but without any success.

Any help would be appreciated.

457 Posts

September 29th, 2022 23:00

What BIOS revision are you on, have you ran diagnostics in the BIOS and how did you install Ubuntu?

6 Posts

September 30th, 2022 00:00

My bios version is 1.8.1

I downloaded the 22.04.1 LTS desktop image from canonical's web site and installed it via a usb drive. The kernel version is  5.15.0-48-generic.

457 Posts

September 30th, 2022 00:00

Please run the diagnostics in the BIOS and report back the results. You mentioned the "balanced" energy scheme. Are you referring to the optimized performance mode which you can toggle to in the BIOS? (there are three other modes [ultra performance cool and quiet]). The laptop getting proper sleep might be a tricky one because Dell no longer supports S3 sleep only S0. So please follow up and then maybe I could research more about how they were supposed to implement it in Ubuntu.

6 Posts

September 30th, 2022 01:00

All pre-boot diagnositics test pass. In the bios setting I picked the "Cool" option as I was getting extreme temperatures on the bottom part of the laptop - it was quite inconvenient having it in my lap...

The "balanced" goes to the ubuntu scheme.

I also read that S3 is no longer supported, so I am wondering if there is a way to reduce power drain during suspend... any help would be great!

457 Posts

September 30th, 2022 01:00

Allegedly if you install Ubuntu 22.04LTS fresh it will pick up that it is a Dell XPS 13 Plus and make the relevant adjustments. Try running all updates through Ubuntu as well as seeing if there is some sort of driver manager (I know Linux Mint has something like that so I'm sure Ubuntu does as well). Report back with what happens, the last resort would be PMing Dell and maybe they can send you their Ubuntu image that they ship out with.

6 Posts

September 30th, 2022 04:00

I have done all the updates through apt making sure that nothing was held back.

On the software update, under the additional drivers it reports that the laptop is using 2 alternative drivers, one for the camera and a second one from oem-somerville-tentacool-meta that is commented as "hardware support for Dell XPS 9320" without any further information.

Maybe at this point I should PM dell support.

457 Posts

September 30th, 2022 05:00

Sounds like the second one is the package that Ubuntu says would help for specific XPS 13 Plus hardware support. Please do keep us updated on Dell and their response to your ask for their image.

457 Posts

September 30th, 2022 08:00

Also ran across this forum post that is a good read for your situation Solved: Pros/Cons: AHCI vs. Raid On (XPS13 9300 NVMe) - Dell Community

6 Posts

October 1st, 2022 05:00

I did switch from RAID to AHCI however I still get [s2idle] as the only option.

457 Posts

October 1st, 2022 09:00

Did you do that after or before the Ubuntu install? If the answer is after, then you might have to reinstall and try again. If the answer was before, then just let us know if/when Dell gives you their Ubuntu image.

1 Rookie

• 

81 Posts

October 1st, 2022 15:00

Already in 2020-21 Dell's official position was that they were not going to support s3 sleep anymore. These forums were filled with threads regarding this at the time. Unless something has changed, this is probably a feature, not a bug: XPS13 Plus does not support deep sleep, end of story

457 Posts

October 1st, 2022 22:00

I already agreed with you and stated that before. But there is a little bit more going on here than just that factor. We're just waiting to hear back from the OP right now in response to my message before yours.

6 Posts

October 2nd, 2022 12:00

I did it after and did not face problems booting up the system. Why do you think that I should reinstall?

DELL requests to boot in Windows mode to continue the assessment of the laptop. I am afraid this is not going somewhere useful. Probably a waste of time.

457 Posts

October 4th, 2022 00:00

If you change to AHCI from RAID after the install, Ubuntu might not 'pick up' the change properly (but that's just speculation from me). Dell does not want to send you their Ubuntu image?

1 Message

July 13th, 2023 23:00

Hello, did you see this answer https://www.dell.com/community/XPS/XPS-13-9310-Ubuntu-deep-sleep-missing/m-p/8056343#M91204 ?

But this is weird, I used to work, but from a recent update, the battery is still draining  

No Events found!