Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 15th, 2019 22:00

XPS 15-7590, black screen, #3 SOLVED

Adding data to the other two XPS 15-7590, black screen threads. My first new XPS 15 7590 Windows OS Crashed. After reinstallation along with drivers and associated programs directly from the Support Assist website, I discovered some of the programs are not included after an OS reinstall (Dell Cinema Color, OLED Power Plan etc.).  Dell's support would not send me a factory laptop hard drive image, so they had to send me a new laptop. The new laptop they sent me had the BLACK SCREEN ISSUE (random turn off) I confirmed in the error messages troubleshooting section of the Device Driver section of Windows, the graphics card stop and had a problem restarting and isolated to the OLED panel (not the external ports).  I thought at first it was a software issue (driver related)?  However, I confirmed it is a hardware issue.

3 Posts

January 4th, 2020 13:00

An expert from Dell support contacted me and he requested me to try these step below. Since I tried to follow his instruction, I haven't had this problem for a while. I will be running my laptop for a little bit more to test does it work correctly. Let give it a try, and report the result here or for me. Praying...

1. Right click on desktop and go to Intel Graphics Settings or launching from Start menu -> Intel Graphics Control Panel

2. Click Power tile on Intel Graphics Control Panel

3. Click Disable in Panel Self-Refresh on On Battery page and then click Apply 

4. Click Disable in Panel Self-Refresh on Plugged In page and then click Apply

-Vivek

3 Posts

October 15th, 2019 01:00

I have the same exact issue! I contacted Dell premium support, showed this support thread. He couldn't locate any information on this issue on his database. Absolutely no resolution to my problem.

4 Posts

November 18th, 2019 05:00

Hi, I'm the one of the first post and it looks like I can't reply there so I'll do here.

I confirm what you say, they replace mine and after four weeks of use I can confirm that this one hasn't the black screen issue.

The computer is really great but the support in my opinion has been slow, so if you have this issue and you want to keep the PC, you'll have to be patient because it took a month for me from the day I contacted the support to the day I got my second XPS.

Hope this helps.

December 9th, 2019 10:00

This is pretty outrageous. I just got a 7590 today and the screen blacks out for no reason, randomly, and without pattern. Spent 2 hours on the phone with tech support updating drivers. Didn't help. I pointed to the numerous reports on dell.com that other people were having the problem and the tech basically denied it. Can't wait weeks for them to get it right. Will probably return this and switch brands. Get it together, please, Dell.

1 Message

December 11th, 2019 07:00

exact same issue and received it the same date as you! First phone call was 50 min and no resolve. They updated the drivers, the bios, ran windows updates the works! ….but 10 min after getting off the phone and them stating that should have resolved the issue the screen blacked out again. It has to be an issue with the display -- everything else still works (music or video still plays in background, and keyboard still lights up) but it goes black. 

I called Dell back a little frustrated and they checked the same areas and attempted CHF something off and on (some forums this was a fix for some users) and stated it was fixed. I am still experiencing the black screen while actively using the laptop and editing photos even after restarting and rebooting windows from scratch! 

I'm extremely disappointed with the quality of the 7590 so far and with Dell Support. They've tried and I appreciate those who helped me but for this to remain a constant issue with NEW laptops and newer released model from the 7950 is outrageous. I will more than likely be returning this laptop and go with a competitor. 

13 Posts

December 14th, 2019 18:00

Just got my new XPS 15 7590 purchased from the Outlet.  

Random black screens started almost immediately.  

Has anyone fixed this by updating drivers?  Hardware defect?  

Updating drivers now.

13 Posts

December 14th, 2019 19:00

Did you return it or get a replacement?  Mine is randomly doing it as I type.

The only way to get the screen back is to close and re-open the lid or press the power button multiple times until the screen reappears.  

13 Posts

December 15th, 2019 19:00

I have the exact same problem.  They remotely updated drivers to no avail.  They are sending a tech out to replace the screen. 

I am not optimistic. Since I got my machine from the Outlet, I feel they sent me a machine previously returned due to the same problem.  

The tech banged away remotely and it never occurred.  I didn't have a problem docked with external monitors.   

It seems to be a keyboard and/or screen hinge issue.  We will see.  Otherwise a nice machine.  The screen looks great and the keyboard is superior to my current 2014 XPS.  I now want an OLED TV.  

January 4th, 2020 04:00

Same here. I just got it and withing 2days i started facing this issue. The svreen goes black for any video you try to play, whereas the keys remain lit but the only way to get screen back is restart using power button. Its very abnoying and very frustrating from company like dell. 

I am thinking of sending it back to them and try for a repalacement.

I thunk the issie is with video card switching off randomly for every trigger.

The only fix for this is getting a new motherboard.

Very sad that dell doesnt fix for these kind of issues while selling new laptops.

13 Posts

January 4th, 2020 10:00

I got a refurbished one too and have this problem.  I will keep you posted since they are supposed to ship me a replacement.  The motherboard replacement did not fix my issue.  My issue is animated GIF search on Twitter.  I did recreate the issue in Facebook videos.

13 Posts

I get this only in Twitter GIF search.  In Chrome it recovers, in Edge, it requires restart like you reported.

Got my motherboard replaced.  Still occurs.

They are going to ship a replacement machine.  Not looking hopeful.

3 Posts

I have just bought a refurbished one, and got the blackscreen issue. how the hell Dell still sell a product with this kind of error, were they testing it while refurbishing ?

3 Posts

January 4th, 2020 11:00

ya, I gonna contact Dell premium support asps, and ask for a new one. If the 2nd one still get the same problem, probably the refund we have to ask for.

January 5th, 2020 11:00

TIll how many days do they accept the return?

• 

25.1K Posts

January 8th, 2020 08:00

Hi,

I see that Technical support has contacted you with an update from the product engineering team and also they have taken control of the system and performed the steps and as you requested the remaining steps have been shared through email. If you have any concerns I would request you to please drop me a message here.

-Vivek

No Events found!