Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 16th, 2022 13:00

XPS 15 9500 4k Video Playback Problems

I have the Dell XPS 15 9500 4k and have been having issues with streaming 4k video.

Basic spec:
9500 4k Touch Screen
Intel 10750H
16 GB RAM
1650 TI

The Problem:
The laptop is now unable to stream 4k from Netflix/Disney Plus. 4k YouTube video very jerky and unwatchable.

I want to see if anyone else has this problem and go over what Dell has done so far. This is our 4th XPS 15 Laptop we bought for work (this is the only 4k model though). Really like them so this isn’t a “slag off Dell” post. Just wanted to write up where I am with it. Sorry for the long post.

When new (bought in late 2021), this laptop played Netflix 4k films fine using the Netflix app. When you go into Netflix and select a film (say 6 Underground), the info shows its Dolby Vision - Atmos. It played the film in full 4k, HDR etc. This can be checked by pressing CTR, SHIFT, ALT, Q when the film is running to pull up the nerd info from Netflix. Here it shows it’s running in 4k etc. Disney Plus app also worked fine in 4k.

Using Edge browser to open Youtube and run a 4k 60 FPS video was also fine. Stats for nerds showed no dropped frames here, great video smooth playback.

A couple of months on I’m not able to play 4k films in the Netflix app, get Netflix Error U7361-1255-8004CD22. Select the film and the info shows its Dolby Vision – Atmos so it should be able to run in 4k but won’t.

YouTube will play the same 4k 60 FPS video but it's jerky and unwatchable, stats for nerds show its dropping frames constantly.

The only thing that’s changed on the laptop is updating the windows updates and the Dell driver updates. As of writing, ALL bios, driver, windows updates are done.

The Intel Graphics Command Centre says the display is NOT HDCP compatible.

I’ve spoken to Dell, they confirmed the machine is HDCP 2.2 complaint. They thought the motherboard was faulty so sent a tech round to replace it. We replaced the mobo and put in the same Hard Drive and booted it up. Netflix was now able to run a 4k film, but it was jerky, out of sync with the sound and basically unwatchable. YouTube 4k test video was just as bad as it was before. The Intel Graphics Command Centre still says the display is not HDCP compatible.

The Dell Support software found a new bios update for the motherboard, so we flash the bios and install it. Reboot the laptop and now Netflix and Disney Plus won’t play the 4k movies. They throw up the same error codes that mean there’s a problem with HDCP (Disney Plus is error code 39 I think)

I decided to do a full Windows restore and wipe the computer and reinstall windows 11. Fresh install with all the relevant updates and the same problems. Same error codes on Netflix and Disney Plus. Same problem on Youtube 4k video playback.

Dell has offered to replace the laptop but as the 9500 is no longer made, they offered the newer 9510. The problem is they don’t have the 4k screen model so was only able to offer the basic entry model. Whilst I appreciate this, I do need the 4k so as of now I’m waiting for that to become available but it's looking like it will be months before a replacement is offered.

I would be happy to keep my current laptop if there was a way to fix it but as of now, we can't seem to do that.

Does anyone else have this issue or do just have a faulty laptop that needs replacing?

54 Posts

May 6th, 2022 05:00

Sorry, wrong info about Netflix in my post above, the reason it was playing the movie was that my Netflix plan changed today from 4k to HD. After getting back on the Netflix 4k plan, the laptops back to throwing up the same old error code and doesn't play 4k movies

54 Posts

May 6th, 2022 05:00

The laptop has just done a bios update for the new release, version 1.14.0 is now installed. Disney plus still throws up the same error code, Youtube 4k video is still jerky and drops frames as before but Netflix will now play a 4k movie rather than throw up the error code and refuse to play. Whilst it still detects the movie should be displayed in full 4k, it will only play up to 1080. The bios update has not fixed this issue and the laptop is still unable to watch video in 4k. 

May 6th, 2022 07:00

The consumer shouldn't have to sit and wait for a fix for a issue that shouldn't exist .. my time is VALUABLE either give us a fix now... Our money back... Or a compatibly specs device that does not have the issue! Dells customer service shouldn't be this bad when we've spent thousands.... It's bad enough that for multiple generations they can't figure how to get a track pad right and we still chose to patronize this company!

1 Message

May 6th, 2022 07:00

I've had a lot of buffering on Youtube for several weeks.   I have a 4 month old XPS 13 9310.  All of the Dell updates have been installed.  Last night I went to the Intel website and downloaded the Driver and Support Assistant.  It showed

an item called Intel Killer Performance Suite that needed updated, even though my Dell updates should have included that.  I installed that and everything is working perfectly now with all 3 browsers, Edge, Chrome, and Firefox.

May 6th, 2022 10:00

The browsers don't play 4k on Netflix and Disney + only youtube... Tru 4k content for Netflix or Disney plus on the windows apps .. and the issues seems to be with the 10th gen Intel . You have a 11th gen so shouldn't be an jssue for you.

54 Posts

May 22nd, 2022 01:00

Another Update.

I had a message via WhatsApp from Dell. They asked me to roll back from the current Bios version to a slightly older version (1.11.0). I mentioned that this wouldn’t work as I have been updating the Bios every time a new one became available since purchase and the fact that it would leave the machine open to the security issues that came with the older Bios. Anyway, I indulged him and followed the link they gave and put the older Bios back on the Laptop. Needless to say, it didn't work.

They also asked if this was still the case with running Netflix/Disney+ through the browsers. I confirmed that trying to run them through Edge still did not work. They then asked if Chrome had the same issue. I was a little worried at this point that he didn’t know that Chrome does not run 4k Netflix/Disney+ but this shows you what sort of Tech level guys they have assigned to this issue. In short, it's taken 6 months and the best they have come up with so far is to try a Bios rollback.  

14 Posts

May 23rd, 2022 10:00

Hey there, I also have this problem and have been searching for a solution since January (already made countless posts about it on the dell subreddit. The only workaround I have found so far is to connect my laptop to an external display, start Netflix, disconnect it from the display, close Netflix, refresh the screen and then start Netflix again. It is cumbersome, but at least for me, it works.

• 

17K Posts

May 24th, 2022 07:00

Update-

The engineering team was able to replicate this issue & this has been further escalated to Intel & is being investigated by them. We will keep you updated as progress continues.

54 Posts

May 24th, 2022 12:00

It's a start. I mean, it's taken them 6 months to replicate the issue, but it's a start.

54 Posts

June 1st, 2022 09:00

Update.

After many, many months of this situation going on (and on and on and on) I’ve decided that I can no longer wait for Dell to let their printer repair guy try and find a solution for this. I have offered Dell many solutions but the one they chose was for me to send this laptop back for a full refund and buy the newer model.

I will say that I’m extremely disappointed with Dell that they are happy to sell a faulty laptop and their solution is for me to buy a new one, especially as the same spec laptop now costs £1,000 more than this one did in the end of 2021. Yes, I understand it’s the newer model, but it’s the same spec (4k Screen, 16 GB RAM, 1 TB HD). I did ask Dell for a discount on the new laptop taking into consideration this complete sh!tshow of an operation but was only able to get a small discount out of them. Good to see Dell not only fails to fix their faulty laptop but then profits from their mistake, but I guess that’s why they are one of the biggest out there.

As there are other people in this thread with this exact same problem I’m afraid that finding a working solution to this has still not happened. If you can get a full refund then perhaps that’s an option but prices for laptops have gone up significantly over the last 6 months you would expect to pay a lot more to get the same spec level. I doubt that Dell will actually find a solution to this problem but once the new model (9520) arrives you can rest assured the first thing I will do (after all the updates) will be to check that it can stream 4k video from Netflix and Disney +.

I mean, I really doubt that Dell would sell their brand new, top of the range, flagship 4k Laptop claiming it can run 4k video if they are aware of the known fault meaning it can’t, right?

54 Posts

June 2nd, 2022 03:00

I'll keep posting updates here when I hear from Dell. After pushing Dell to see what they are still doing they sent me the following today.

As per the update from our product engineering team. There’s no solution as of now, we sent the unit where the issue has been duplicated to Intel for analysis. This will take sometime, but we do not have the exact date for the same.

June 5th, 2022 02:00

Absolutely the same issue, except I have a 10885H CPU (Core i9) and 64G RAM. It is super annoying that I can not even watch Netflix on a top-tier laptop.

1 Message

June 5th, 2022 07:00

My NB model is Inspiron 7500. win 10. firmware/driver update to 2022/6/5.

I found an alternative solution.

use a second screen. (mine is samsung tab s7+).First the projection extends to the second screen. Then open the netflix app.Of course, this is an opportunistic approach.

螢幕擷取畫面 2022-06-05 223052.jpg

54 Posts

June 7th, 2022 02:00

Thanks, there’s always a workaround and the external screen trick will certainly work. But I do feel that when you buy a top of the range Dell Laptop you should really expect to be able to do what it’s meant to do. It’s kinda like buying a Ferrari and being told you can drive it around but as long as you have a tow truck and a mechanic follow you.  

9 Posts

June 7th, 2022 18:00

edit

No Events found!