Start a Conversation

Unsolved

C

9 Posts

November 4th, 2022 08:00

XPS 15 9520 - When Power connected USB ports are always powered - permant on peripheral?!

XPS 15 9520

XPS 15 9520

Hi,

I have a problem. When my XPS is connected to Power via power supply or via several Docks (Dell WD22TB2 and Lenovo TB3 Dock Gen 2), the USB ports of the XPS itself but also on the docks stays always powered and do not shut down. 

Therefore some peripherals stay on all the time. In my case a USB3 hub (LED always on, but should turn off) and SoundBlasterx G6 (USB sound) is always on. 

BIOS do not have an option to disable PowerShare which would maybe solve my issue (e.g. like mentioned here: https://www.dell.com/support/kbdoc/de-de/000156341/usb-powershare-funktion-auf-dell-laptops .Just not present)

When disconnecting the power supply, USB turns off immediately (all lamps going out). Plugging power supply in again (but Laptop stays shutdown) USB is powered again. 

When peripherals are connected to Dock, they are also on, even if Laptop is shut down . Disconnecting the Laptop also shuts down immediately the USB on the dock. No matter if Dell dock or Lenovo dock. 

Still strange, that the USB power on the dock is somehow depending on the connection to the Laptop. 

Any suggestions what to do?

Any BIOS option I have overlooked?

Seems like it is not shutting down correctly?!

457 Posts

November 8th, 2022 06:00

What BIOS revision are you on?

November 8th, 2022 09:00

My version:  1.7.0, 12/09/2022

But I just saw that there is a new version from exactly today (1.8.1, 1.8.1 from 8th of Nov), still the fixes says nothing about USB: 

Fixes:
- Fixed the issue where there is no sound from an external stereo speaker when connected through a dock. This issue occurs when you disable the external USB support option in the BIOS setup.
- Fixed the issue where the Type-C port of the system does not work after updating the BIOS. This issue occurs when the system is connected to the DA20, DA200, or DA300 dongle

Will still try to install it first. 

457 Posts

November 9th, 2022 02:00

Okay let me know how it goes

457 Posts

November 9th, 2022 03:00

Yeah, I read the documentation and did not see a powershare setting either. Try resetting your BIOS to defaults.

November 9th, 2022 03:00

I updated to 1.8.1, 1.8.1 from 8th of Nov but still the same. 

When Power is connected to the Laptop, all USB/TB ports are also powered and peripherals on. 

Any ideas?

November 10th, 2022 00:00

Done. One time to "BIOS Defaults" and then later tried "Factory Defaults" (whatever the difference is) but no effect. 

457 Posts

November 11th, 2022 05:00

So only peripherals that are connected to a dock remain powered, correct? If this is the case it is probably a dock thing not necessarily laptop.

November 11th, 2022 06:00

No, on both. Directly connected to to the Laptop and/or via the dock. Sorry, the thing with the dock was misleading, so let us keep dock out. 

2 Intern

• 

271 Posts

November 12th, 2022 00:00

My xps 15 9520 has the laptop charger, a usb-c to displayport for a 32' 4k monitor.  It also has that 2 in 1 Dell 20A adapter that has a hdmi port and usb a port.  I plug a hdmi to dvi cable to that port to 24' monitor.  The usb a port i connect a sabrent 4 port usb hub to it to give it more ports.

When I shut down my laptop, I first power off my 2 monitors.  I then close my laptop lid.  During this whole time, the blue lights that shows up on the sabrent 4 port usb hub is still blue.  But once I unplug the laptop charger from it, the lights on the sabrent 4 port hub goes off.  That is normal right?  That is similar to what you are asking and you are asking why are the port hub still with lights on right after laptop is shut off?

November 12th, 2022 01:00

"...That is normal right?..." -> I say no. Should not be normal or at least a feature which shall be able to be disabled. An in fact "Power Share" as feature can be disabled on older models (see. https://www.dell.com/support/kbdoc/de-de/000156341/usb-powershare-feature-on-dell-laptops?lang=en) But not on the 9520. 

It even explains exactly this behaviour: When Power Share on but System in S4/S5 (hibernate/shutdown) USB are powered when AC is atached. 

ChrisCross00x_0-1668246459663.png

When this cannot be disabled, it brings lot of problems with different peripherals. The LED at as USB HUB is not that bad, but should not be if system is shut down. But e.g. for me the USB SoundBlasterx G6 Sound card also stays always on (lot of light and activity). There is probably more peripherals casing issues. 

I can only suspect that either it was an idea of Dell to keep Power Share always on without the possibility to disable as it makes sense in some cases ("who needs to disable this?"). Or a forgotten option in the BIOS.

Still like this it is awful for such a high price Laptop. 

457 Posts

November 12th, 2022 02:00

Ah the screenshot could be a key to why powershare no longer exists. Dell no longer ships S3 sleep with new laptops, it's S0 or no sleep option (if you disable S0 you will not have the option to sleep the laptop). Read up about S0 sleep state and connected standby (I think it's called) and that might be able to assist you

February 1st, 2023 01:00

Sorry for the delay. Yes, exactly my issue. 

Or the issue is in fact, why this behaviour cannot be disabled like in other models (USB Powershare Option in BIOS). 

1 Rookie

• 

34 Posts

February 2nd, 2023 04:00

This is annoying because not only is it wasting power keeping the USB devices themselves on, but I have a USB mains switch, which kills the power to all peripherals when the laptop is off. Or should do... My current solution is to unplug the USB cable to the switcher when the laptop is powered down and plug it back in when I turn the laptop on again. Less than ideal on a top end machine - and especially given that we're all supposed to be wasting less energy these days.

February 2nd, 2023 05:00

"@d5123101 : Ah the screenshot could be a key to why powershare no longer exists. Dell no longer ships S3 sleep with new laptops, it's S0 or no sleep option (if you disable S0 you will not have the option to sleep the laptop). Read up about S0 sleep state and connected standby (I think it's called) and that might be able to assist you"

Just saw the answer now: I do not believe this, as we are not talking about S3 stand by, but power down and hibernate so S4/S5. So Laptop is really shut down (and needs to boot normally to get up again). 

So the picture is accurate to the behaviour of PowerShare (present when power connected). Problem: Cannot be disabled. 

There is a new Bios 1.9. Has somebody already installed and maybe the option appeared? Cannot install at the moment myself. 

February 2nd, 2023 05:00

For me it is annoying, as I have to keep Power on to load the battery after mobile work and all peripherals at the dock station are shining like a Christmas tree. 

I find it hard to believe, that this high price model has such flaws, which are not fixed quickly. 

What is the right way to report this to Dell?

No Events found!