Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 26th, 2018 06:00

XPS 15: 9550 & 9560 Thunderbolt limitations

Hello,

I am considering purchasing a Dell XPS 15. Due to available budget this will likely be a used/refurbished/returned 9550 or 9560 instead of 9570 or 9575. I understand there is a limitation with the Thunderbolt 3 implementation on these laptops: namely 2 lanes instead of 4 lanes.

Trouble is when I try to read up on what this means I don't understand the jargon and so can't make a judgement on whether this limitation is functionally relevant for me.

This is what I want to achive with the Thunderbolt port: via a suitable Thunderbolt 3 dock - Connect two 1920x1080 external montiors, connect to various USB peripherals (USB 3 HDD, Keyboard, mouse, webcam), connect to ethernet, deliver charging power to the laptop.

I'd be very grateful if someone could explain in layman terms what the limitation means and whether the limitation is relevant to my needs.

Thanks

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

December 27th, 2018 22:00

The PCIe lane issue only matters if you’ll be using other external Thunderbolt 3 peripherals that can use a lot of bandwidth, such as an external GPU or external PCIe/NVMe SSD in a Thunderbolt 3 enclosure. Display traffic is not carried over PCIe, so the lane count is irrelevant there. All XPS systems have dual DisplayPort 1.2 channels available over TB3, so they can handle dual displays up to 4K — and in fact dual 1080p displays can be achieved over regular USB-C with the WD15 dock. The only other traffic you’ll be sending to the dock is USB, since the built-in audio and Ethernet chips are internally connected via USB, and on a Thunderbolt dock, all USB traffic is packaged inside PCIe — but the single USB 3.1 Gen 2 interface between the PC and dock is only 10 Gbps, so 2 lanes of PCIe will be more than enough for that.

Bottom line: The PCIe lane issue will not create any limitations or bottlenecks in your use case, and in fact if you don’t ever intend to use a higher-end display configuration than dual 1920x1200 displays or a single 2560x1600, look at the WD15 to save some cash since it can handle those display setups. If on the other hand you think you might upgrade to dual 4K or even dual 1440p (a very worthy upgrade from dual 1080p that I just did myself), consider the TB16. But whichever dock you get, make sure you get the variant with the higher-wattage adapter since that’s required for properly charging an XPS 15. For a WD15, you need the 180W version. For the TB16, you need the 240W version.

• 

25.7K Posts

December 27th, 2018 10:00

Hi,

Thanks for posting. I will be glad to assist you.

The Dell Thunderbolt Dock (TB16) is a device that links all your electronic devices to your laptop computer (XPS 9550 and 9560) using Thunderbolt 3 (Type-C) cable interface. When you connect the laptop to the docking station, you can gain access to all your peripherals such as the mouse, keyboard, stereo speakers, external hard drive, and large-screen displays [up to 3 via HDMI, VGA and Display (Mini and Full)] without having to plug each one into the laptop.

For more details on Dell Thunderbolt Dock (TB16) Information and Specifications, refer here https://dell.to/2VeaI7W

-Farooq

8 Posts

December 27th, 2018 12:00

Thank you for the reply. 

I know what a dock is. What I am trying to understand is the functional effect of the technical difference between the USB-C ports on 9550 & 9560 (2 PCIe lanes) when compared to 9570 (4 PCIe lanes) and whether it is even relevant to my docking needs.

• 

25.7K Posts

December 27th, 2018 14:00

Hi,

Systems with the 2 lane design will only support up to 20gbps data transfers over PCIe devices such as external hard drives or video cards that use PCIe. Systems with 4 lane design will support up to 40gbps of data transfer over PCIe depending on the device in use.

Thunderbolt 3 ports can be configured with 2 or 4 PCIe lane designs. Please note that Alpine Ridge uses separate inputs for Display Port 1.2 data (DP stream is not part of PCIe traffic).

For more details or information on which system models have 2 lanes and 4 lanes, refer to this link https://dell.to/2Q6JTim

-Farooq

No Events found!