Start a Conversation

Unsolved

M

1 Message

November 10th, 2019 16:00

XPS 15 9550 will not turn on after putting in new SSD

Hello all,

I have a Dell XPS 15 9550 which I bought around 2 years ago with a 1TB HDD and a 32GB SSD. The speed of booting up and loading anything was getting really slow so I decided to buy a Samsung 970 Evo NVMe M.2 1TB SSD as a replacement for the HDD (although the HDD would stay in the laptop, it would be the 32GB drive that it would be physically replacing). I could not find the 32GB drive being recognised anywhere on the system, so I first simply took it out and replaced it with the new SSD. Obviously, I got an error message at boot up so I replaced the old SSD, and it was back to the previous state. I then followed this guide: https://www.dell.com/community/Desktops-General-Read-Only/Exact-software-steps-to-remove-the-32Gb-mSata-cache-drive-in/td-p/5082791. Everything went to plan until I once again removed the 32GB SSD and replaced with the new one, and then the laptop would not power on, plugged in or not. There is absolutely no sign of any life, no fans or lights come on at all. Replacing the old SSD, it still doesn’t power on, even though it is exactly the same as before. Of course I’d like the new SSD to work, but at this point I just need it to be back up and running again. If anyone can help it would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Max

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

November 10th, 2019 16:00

Not sure how to account for that, but FYI there are already many reports on this forum of the XPS 15 9550 (and some other systems) not working with the Samsung 970 SSDs, even though the 960 SSDs work fine in those systems. Just Google “XPS 9550 samsung 970 site:dell.com“. Last I checked, there wasn’t even an understanding of underlying cause, never mind a fix. I suppose things may have changed with firmware updates to the system and/or SSD, but just letting you know that even if you get your system to start, you might find that the system doesn’t detect it in the System Information section of the BIOS Setup.

No Events found!