Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 30th, 2018 19:00

XPS 15 9560, extreme FPS drop on all games

Whenever I play games on my xps 15 9560 my frames drop to exactly 14 or 30 no matter what I do. I have a i7 and a 1050 so I shouldn’t be running at 30 FPS on low settings on rainbow six. When I first start a game of rainbow my fps is in the 80s then after half an hour it’ll drop to 30. On Fortnite I’ll be running medium to high settings at 60 FPS then it will drop to 14 after half an hour. I can’t seem to fix my fps. A laptop as expensive as the xps 15 should not run games at 14 FPS. 

32 Posts

July 31st, 2018 02:00

Have a look into the taskmanager while gaming. Does the internal GPU take over when the frames drop? If this is the case, you have to install older Intel dynamic platform and thermal drivers from here: https://www.dell.com/support/home/de/de/debsdt1/drivers/driversdetails?driverId=KPPRD - these do not throttle so much.

But you should cap the frames to 60 fps in fortnite and think about using throttleStop to disable CPU turbo while gaming. The device will be much cooler then without lowering the framerate.

*EDIT: the fix is for the 9570 but should run on the 9560 as well?

68 Posts

September 14th, 2018 07:00

Interesting. I have the 9570 and wiped the laptop back to the factory image from the recovery partition. This didn't fix anything... even with the old drivers. The original configuration was working fine when I first received the laptop, FPS no issues. The fact this is no longer the case with the original factory image is puzzling!

Did you update BIOS or Windows recently? I believe this might have caused the issue as I had no problems before. 

The only other explanation I can think of is a hardware fault.

16 Posts

September 14th, 2018 18:00

I have the same computer, I have had the same problem.

I do not have the issue any more. See here.

I just disabled some of the factory software that monitors how the computer's heat affects how comfortable the laptop is to hold.

68 Posts

September 15th, 2018 04:00

Thanks for trying,

Unfortunately I can see why they wouldn't want people disabling thermal protection, probably not a good idea for the average user. Instead we need a proper fix!

1 Message

October 14th, 2019 04:00

I agree you could just get the dell g7. It costs around $1,300 so, it's pretty cheap 

No Events found!