Start a Conversation

Unsolved

W

4 Posts

December 24th, 2020 11:00

XPS 15 9560 hangs at startup after sleep

Ever since a Dell update a while ago, my computer isn't able to wake back up after it sleeps. It hangs on the Dell logo indefinitely, with no spinning wheel.

To get it to boot again I need to hold the power button to shut it off, then turn it back on again. Then it will go to a blue Recovery screen with an option to restart. Only then can I restart and boot normally. This happens every single time the computer sleeps (i.e. multiple times a day), meaning I have to reopen any program I was using.

I've seen this same/similar issue mentioned a bunch of times on this forum:

https://www.dell.com/community/XPS/XPS15-9560-stuck-on-logo-need-to-boot-twice-for-windows/td-p/7366316

https://www.dell.com/community/XPS/XPS-15-9560-stuck-on-DELL-logo-first-boot/td-p/7366034

https://www.dell.com/community/XPS/After-Dell-Update-XPS-15-9560-freezes-at-Dell-logo-on-start-up/td-p/7366300

https://www.dell.com/community/XPS/XPS-15-9560-must-boot-twice-to-bypass-being-stuck-at-Logo/td-p/7270374

The workaround solution offered in those threads - turning off fast startup - did not help. When I contacted Dell support, they kindly offered to help in exchange for hundreds of dollars. Frankly, this being a software issue that Dell created themselves with their update, to me this looks very close to extortion. Extremely unhappy with Dell.

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

December 24th, 2020 12:00

Dell has nothing to do with the updates. Those all come from Microsoft. Software is not covered by warranty. Try changing the power options by disabling Hibernation and Hybrid Sleep. Those kick in automatically after a time in Sleep. They require a brief press of the power button--not the long press you are using to turn it off. Try using a brief press now before you turn off Hibernation. Let it sleep for 15 minutes or longer before you try to wake it. 

More info here- Shut down, sleep, or hibernate your PC (microsoft.com)

This forum is users helping users.

146 Posts

December 25th, 2020 00:00

In the control panel-system and security-power options-select balance-click to change the plan settings-set the hard disk to never 1. Hibernation generally occurs when the computer is not operated for a long time or when the battery of the laptop is low. 2. But the disadvantage of hibernation is that the recovery time is longer. On the one hand, it is better to turn off the computer to save power if you do not operate the computer for a long time. Unexpected things happen, so it is recommended to use the sleep function when using the computer, or simply turn off the display. 3. You can use the tool to turn off the sleep mode.

4 Operator

• 

4K Posts

December 25th, 2020 02:00

Try turning off "Fast startup". There have been issues in the past with "fast startup".

1. You can find it in "Settings" > "System" > "Power and sleep" > "Additional power settings".

2. Click the "Choose what the power buttons do" on the left menu list.

2. Click on "Change settings that are currently available" link.

3. Uncheck "Turn on fast startup" and save.

Your system will now do a complete shutdown when you shut it down, It will take a little longer when you boot up, but it wont be much unless you have a very old computer.

4 Posts

December 28th, 2020 11:00

Thank you. This is something I had already tried and unfortunately it didn't make any difference.

4 Posts

December 28th, 2020 12:00

I'm not an expert but since this issue happens during the point in the bootup process where the Dell logo appears, it seems like a Dell problem like the BIOS, not a Microsoft problem. So I'm not convinced that Dell has nothing to do with it.

Thanks for the suggestions. I've already tried turning off Hybrid Sleep. I'll play around with Hibernation, see if that changes anything.

4 Posts

December 28th, 2020 12:00

Thanks, I'll play around with the hard disk power settings to see if this makes any difference.

Either way, unfortunately it seems like more of a bandaid work around. The root of the problem is still going to be there.

No Events found!